Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Large foot/shoe rant – bear with me…
  • willard

Here’s the background… I am tall and have large feet. I wear shoes. My current shoes (Merrell Moabs) are currently falling apart whilst I wear them and are effectively beyond repair, so I need to get another pair of everyday, comfy shoes that I can wear to the office as well as for walking the dogs and generally tarting around the countryside in.

WHY THE <BLEEP> IS IT SO DIFFICULT TO FIND EITHER A REPLACEMENT PAIR OF MERRELLS IN SIZE 13, OR ANOTHER PAIR OF SIMILAR SHOES IN THE SAME SIZE????

I mean, seriously, what is it these days with small-footed people? Am I a freak for having feet of between size 12 and 13 (depending on make, shoe, etc)? Is it too much to expect that _someone_ makes a decent, comfortable shoe that fits the above criteria, but which doesn’t look like either a barge or something that a clown would wear if they took their clown car clown green laning???

On a more serious note, does anyone have experience of Haglofs shoes in everyday use? How hardwearing are they? Do they come up large or small for the size? Narrow or wide?

I need another glass of wine…

Edit: Dammit. Wrong forum. Mods, can you move this to general chat please?

TooTall
    Free Member

Am I a freak for having feet of between size 12 and 13 (depending on make, shoe, etc)?

Yes. Yes you are. Sorry. You need to look into percentiles of height to appreciate how little profit there is in you. I used to get really angry about not being able to buy shirts / trousers / jeans / shoes / bikes, until I realised I was in the 99.5th percentile – that I was taller than 99.5% of the residents of this planet.
    Most things are made for people between 15 – 85th percentile because that is where most people are. There aren’t enough of us to be profitable. Sorry.

Wookster

These are good or These are good Ive got stuff from sports shoes direct who are good too! I always get spesh bike shoes as they fit plus go bigger than I need.
    So I feel your pain mate! Size 13 feet, 6’3, xl bikes 34 inside leg 🙂

crikey
    Free Member

Is your willy big?

This is a scientific enquiry, not a chat up line.

foxman
    Free Member

Feel my pain , same size feet as you , but i live very near street (somerset) the shoe capital (clarks shoes & their european distribution center) and i struggle like you to find any , clarks range (not cool) end between size 10- 11 maybe with 1-2 pais of grandad shoes ,
    Then to further annoy there is a big man shop , but the shoes in here start at size 14/15 up to 19 ,

mini rant over

Edric64
    Free Member

Merrells are available in a 14 in Clarks village in Street Somerset I know cos thats my size .Worse than that is after 10 years of buying them size 14 shimano shoes dont fit .My new mo87s turned up at the shop and they are way to small.6 FT 4 here 36 inside leg

Jamie
    Free Member

You know what they say about guys with big feet?

They can’t buy shoes.

…but there above average penises help dull the pain.

willard

Gentlemen, this blows monkey balls… The time has come to rise up and take control of our shoe’d destiny and overthrown the small footed underlords (as long as it is not across gravel or shingle because, quite frankly, barefoot walking across that is painful).

I might be down zomerzet way this coming week, so might pop into Clark’s village if it’s still open when I go past. If nothing else, I’ll try and get another pair of Moabs in a UK 13.

Anyone used Haglofs?

Crikey.

Just checked with the wife. She says it’s awe inspiring, so I’m comfortable with it.

mav12
    Free Member

I have a new pair of merrels for sale think they are a size 13
    Been in rhe wardrobe for ages tad to big. For me

bigdean

Silly question. Have you tried TK Maxx? They have shoes upto 14 regularly. Style and quality is hit and miss so best just to nip every now and again.

euain

If you’re happy to buy online, have a look at WalkTall. I don’t think I’ve bought a pair of shoes in a highstreet shop for about 15 years – and most of mine come from here.
    (I’m size 14 or 49-50 depending on make)

higgo
    Free Member

Just checked with the wife. She says it’s awe inspiring, so I’m comfortable with it.

She’s lying to one of us.

sc-xc

shoes that I can wear to the office as well as for walking the dogs and generally tarting around the countryside in.

You need two pairs of shoes. One for the office, one for your tarting.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Jacamo I think have a selection of trendy shoes for us clown footed folk.
    As for Haglof, I am going to check them out. I find that the air pockets in the soles of Merrells collapse quick time (almost as fast as Nike). I have recently bought a few pairs of New Balance walking type trainer shoes direct from New Balance.co.uk and they have been great and I think from recollection that they came in bigger and wider sizes (mine were 12’s).

bagpuss
    Free Member

Not quite in the same league as you, shoes anyway, but I’ve started to buy shoes when I’m abroad as it’s just easier. Walk into any shoe shop in Holland for instance and you’ll find no surprise at your size and, brace yourself, a selection of stuff that will fit. The UK just isn’t ready for evolution.

Not much help right now, have you tried duct tape 😉

maccruiskeen

big foot spotted

however, as above keep an eye on TK Maxx. You’ll never find what you are looking for when you are looking for it but just pop in on spec whenever you are passing and you’ll find the odd useful surprise now and then. Also – outdoorsy type shops always seem to have large sizes in the sales, even though they never seem to have them for the rest of the year.

And thats the infuriating thing… its not like the shoes aren’t being made – the stuff in Lobase and TK Maxx are mainstream brands – it just seems beyond the wit of shops to stock them

willard

higgo – Member
    She’s lying to one of us.

As long as it’s not me, I don’t care.

Suggsey, I’ve been tempted by their kit for a while now, but have been putting off buying anything until the stuff it replaces basically falls apart. I’ve also been stung on buying stuff on-line unless I have at the very least ade sure it fits from a shop first (yes, I know, support your local shoe shop…). I’d be happy buying jeans on line, but only because I know that I will only buy 501s in a specific size, so they will fit. My Moabs are a UK 13, so buying a replacement pair in the same size should mean they fit too. New stuff? Tricky.

Good tip on TK Maxx. After I finish up at the allotment I might pop into town and see what they have, although I don’t hold out much hope.

Right, off to browse the web again.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Large foot/shoe rant – bear with me…’ is closed to new replies.