Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 94 total)
  • Large companies crap ideas..
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Or go to a proper coffee bar

Find me one in Cardiff with better coffee and cakes.

iamroughrider
    Free Member
    mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

lloyds tsb (and other credit card people) now requiring you to declare that you’ll be overseas, and where exactly, and for how long, when using your credit card overseas. where I am when I use this thing is my business – c*ck off!

cold calling, any of it, full stop. “would you like a conservatory?” “I’m sitting in one right now, where do you suggest I put this new conservatory, on top this one that I already have?”

for some reason, charities employing agencies to beg for them annoys me – as for every £1 donated, about half* goes to the begging agency (*actually I don’t know the exact percentage)

“diet” versions of food, cereals especially, e.g. “special” K. However, I suspect that’s a different thread right there.

@deadlydarcy

Breweries importing beers brewed abroad

easy solution, buy british beer, we make a lot of it here and its often jolly pleasant

tomhoward

I like telling the Starbucks people that my name is Spartacus.

Amateur…

Really test them.

‘My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions and loyal servant to the TRUE emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.’

andytherocketeer

cold calling, any of it, full stop. “would you like a conservatory?” “I’m sitting in one right now, where do you suggest I put this new conservatory, on top this one that I already have?”

windows was my best one…
    “Could we interest you in new windows?”
    “We’re really quite fortunate here. We’ve already got windows in our house.”

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

easy solution, buy british beer, we make a lot of it here and its often jolly pleasant

😆

I’d say the majority of beer I buy is British – I’m an ale person most of the time but sometimes, you can’t beat a cold bottle of lager brewed in some exotic country to go with your half cooked sausage in the sunshine. I love, no really really love British beers – but I don’t allow that to stop me trying beers made in lots of other places too.

molgrips
    Free Member

lloyds tsb (and other credit card people) now requiring you to declare that you’ll be overseas, and where exactly, and for how long, when using your credit card overseas

That’s in your own interests.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

PJM 😀

The Co-operative going into banking and buying a building society! Oops.

BA’ tail fins – there was always something about seeing the Union Jack as you arrived at a distant airport that made you feel almost at home. The fancy tail fins just didn’t do that! Crap idea.

wwaswas

We got a few calls when I was a kid;

Caller: “Can I speak to Mr Walls, please?”

My Dad: “No, I’m sorry he doesn’t live here”

Caller: “Is Mrs Walls there?”

MD “No, she doesn’t live here either.”

C: “Are there any Walls there?”

MD: “No”

C: “Well how do you hold your roof up then?”

The fact he had exactly the same conversation twice over the space of a fortnight was a bit worrying.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Old Simpsons episodes are good for Starbucks names, Amanda Huggenqis etc.

TooTall
    Free Member

or maybe Starbuck staff are moer forgetful than the kids who work in McDonalds… and they can handle multiple orders in parallel, and drinks that look identical (eg diet/non-diet coke) ?

Not really. The McDonalds kids have a screen in front of them on the till that tells them what is in the order.

And I’d hope any waiter/waitress and fastfood attendant can remember who they are currently serving

Despite the fact the person who took your order in Starbucks probably not going to be the person serving you the coffee? Most places I’ve eaten / drank in have a ‘system’ of some sort if there is a delay between ordering and serving. Like recording a table number, or even a name – or does that not happen on Planet Angst?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I don’t really get all the angst about the name thing. Baristas were doing this for years before Starbucks came up with it. But because they’re a small friendly local coffee shop, it was ok. (They really do serve the most excellent coffee btw.)

I just tell the people in Starbucks (when I ask if I can get an americano) that my name is Jon, because they haven’t a chance of spelling my name correctly and I can’t be doing with the “How are you spelling that?” and I feel just for a microsecond like I’m sticking it to the man, man. 🙂

andytherocketeer

Sounds like starbucks is like a vending machine with human disorganistion behind the counter. Do they not have touch screens for orders like McD’s?

Plus iirc you still have to do all the sprinkle stuff yourself? Or is that Costa? (not been in a real Starbucks/Costa etc. for ages, only small ones in book shops etc., where they may have one person operating till and sorting cake while a 2nd one makes the requested “coffee”).

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

tomhoward – Member
    I like telling the Starbucks people that my name is Spartacus.
    Amateur…

Really test them.

‘My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions and loyal servant to the TRUE emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.’

I used Inigo Montoya instead. 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Most Starbucks, apart from the motorway services ones, are actually pretty well run, and the staff seem to like working there. A properly organised one at a busy time is quite impressive actually – that goes for all coffee shops of course, but ‘bucks seem to be particularly good at it.

beej

My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions and loyal servant to the TRUE emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next

“I’ll just put Max down then”

goon
    Free Member

“I’ll just put Max down then”

Hehehehe 😀

TooTall
    Free Member

not been in a real Starbucks/Costa etc. for ages, only small ones in book shops etc

You are so niche.

matt_outandabout

The Co-operative going into banking and buying a building society! Oops.

Beg to differ. (Smile FTW).
    Buying a dodgy building society, yes, daft idea.
    Big companies poor ideas?

pete68
    Free Member

I seem to be missing out on all this. I’ve never been in a Starbucks, or any of the other coffee places.

large418
    Free Member

Lots of people here seem to use Starbucks.

Large company = crap idea – to not allow fund raising for the good people in the armed forces. This means they’ll never get any of my money, no matter how nice their coffee is.

Shell Drivers points – Why? There seems to be no benefit unless you spend about £1 million a year on fuel.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Lots of people here seem to use Starbucks.

yes but reluctantly when nothing else is available – they have a conscious but cannot be arsed 😛
    I could not even tell you where there is one and have never been inside – do they have nicer toilets than Mc Donalds? 😉
    I hate coffee though.

I used Inigo Montoya instead.

Do you then ask them how many fingers they have on their left hand ?

Nothing they do annoys me, everything they do is for my benefit and customer led such as 650 b

You bunch of ungrateful commies

Lack of standards in MTB is begining to grate. i used to be able to swap all the parts on my bikes now its tapered forks, some OS bars some not, square taper BB, Hollowtech etc

andytherocketeer

do they have nicer toilets than Mc Donalds?

Had many a McPoo. Might go for a Star Poo next time.

scaredypants

LloydsTSB – if they suspect fraudulent activity on your account they ring you with an automated voice asking you to confirm certain aspects of your account.

Haven’t we been told time and time again never to confirm any personal details unless you know for sure who is calling and you can’t verify an automated system…
    Barclaycard send you an email telling you to ring a particular number as there’s been suspect activity and you card is frozen. The number isn’t the same as the one on your card that is for lost/stolen/fraudulent card akshun. ‘kin useless

IanW
    Free Member

Possible genius solution to the cold calling ….

zilog6128

Large company = crap idea – to not allow fund raising for the good people in the armed forces. This means they’ll never get any of my money, no matter how nice their coffee is.

http://news.starbucks.com/about+starbucks/myths+facts/militarydonations.htm

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I seem to be missing out on all this. I’ve never been in a Starbucks, or any of the other coffee places.

Yup, you’ve certainly missed out.

There’s nothing more relaxing than sitting in front of an overpriced pretentiously named pint-size cup of slightly coffee favoured hot watery milk.

TooTall
    Free Member

to not allow fund raising for the good people in the armed forces

Moleskin trousers are made from real moleskins and if you eat an apple seed, an apple tree will grow in your tummy.

(I just wanted to mess with his troubled mind a little further 😈 )

TooTall
    Free Member

There’s nothing more relaxing than sitting in front of an overpriced pretentiously named pint-size cup of slightly coffee favoured hot watery milk.

If you can’t select a beverage that pleases you from the menu they offer, get someone else to order for you.

HTH

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

@ Molgrips

“There is a patisserie called cocorico on whitchurch road that has amazing cakes! it doesn’t look like much from the outside really but worth a visit. run by a proper french patisserie. its a bit out of town though.

in town there is pettigrews. it can be a bit pricey but they have massive portions of cake and more tea than anyone could drink.

theres a fairly new creperie called sophies which do nice crepes but not so much cake, but they’re good, there’s also a place called ‘the plan’ and a deli called ‘wally’s’ which has a cafe upstairs – mostly german foods i think, and good savoury stuff too.

think that’s about it really. there’s always costa, neros, john lewis and other more generic places too.
    hope this helps. “

I asked the foremost tea, coffee and cake taster in Cardiff for you, my friend the Dr. – I trust her advice implicitly
    🙂 🙂 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

slightly coffee favoured hot watery milk.

There’s a way around this:

“Can I get an extra shot in that please.”

“And your name please sir?”

“Che…
    …with a ‘C'”

😀

MrOvershoot

pete68 – Member

Me neither, if I’m out shopping I have a very limited amount of time available. the rest of my day seems to shoot past with coffee or tea getting scant time too (water at work/wine at home)

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

There’s a way around this:

“Can I get an extra shot in that please.”

Why would I want to spoil my half a bucket of watery milk by overloading it with coffee flavour ?

dannybgoode

Just been across the road to a Barclays cash machine – one of those with a big LCD screen which advertises various bank services in between making itself useful and giving out cash.

Today it had three or four screens worth of gumph (gumf?) explaining how they had received a commendation from the RNIB for making their cash machines accessible to the blind etc and then finished off with a screen explaining that to use the service all you needed to do was put your headphones into the socket and press 5 to get the audio instructions…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Why would I want to spoil my half a bucket of watery milk by overloading it with coffee flavour ?

It sounded from your post that you didn’t really like it only tasting slightly of coffee. My bad.

molgrips
    Free Member

There’s nothing more relaxing than sitting in front of an overpriced pretentiously named pint-size cup of slightly coffee favoured hot watery milk

There’s another way around the coffee flavoured milk thing. “Double espresso please”

No idea why people love to spout on about how much they hate something that they needn’t ever buy. It makes you sound like a bell end.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Molgrips – have you seen the last post on page 2 of this thread?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Also: Flat White>Americano

I love the fern too, it’s a Kiwi thing, and a great addition to the types of coffee available in chain coffee-houses.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes, ta, will try some of those. Generally we have coffee when out and about in town.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘Large companies crap ideas..’ is closed to new replies.