• This topic has 24 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Solo.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Lard reduction
  • oldmanmtb
    Free Member

I have lost a fair bit of weight over the last 18 months 16 1/2 stone down to 14 stone with a combination of diet and excercise. My BMI tells me I need to be 13 stone to be “not fat” however if I drop another stone I think I disappear up my own a**se – any views on the value of BMI? Also any techniques for burning the remaining lard – I am low carb 1600 calories a day – 3 MTB rides a week at 2 hours + each

cynic-al
    Free Member

It’s a rough guide only.

epicyclo

Simple – do you feel good?

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Feel ok but not great

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’ve had a few medicals over the years through work and I come out as Morbidly Obese on BMI,which is a bit of a shock as i’m reasonably fit and not carrying too much excess lard. Contrast that to a work colleague who is a proper fat chuffer and he came out as OK on BMI. All of the other measures come out as very good, like blood pressure for example. Every time it has been explained to me that BMI is only of value to someone who sits on the ‘average’ of everything including build (i’m of a stocky, broad build), so if you do above average exercise, for example, then BMI is not relevant. I’ve had a % fat measurement done and that came out at 24% – which again was a bit disconcerting, but according to my age it is within the average band – towards the top of the average band, but within it. I would like to loose a bit more lard. But portion size control is my nemesis.

bearnecessities

Well done. Healthy rate of loss that 😀

You’d be surprised how much excess lard you could still be carrying, even though you may look fine!

BMI is generally bobbins; doesn’t take account of enough variables (as do a lot of things such as calorie intake).

Epicyclo is right though. If you feel good, you’re doing it right* and you’ll be eventually find your natural weight.

If not feeling great, maybe up intake (carbs are not bad, just too many are – no need for ‘low’ carb if you know what I mean – so try upping the carbs a bit and you will notice feeling better!)

*Balance of good food intake & exercise.

tomkerton
    Free Member

I’d try to add a session or two of weights a week, or even a session of press-ups, dips, lunges at home. Build muscle which ups your calorie burn, and feels good too.

Ive recently done this by accident – new job sees me living in hotels a lot so,I’ve been pushing weights in hotel gyms instead of riding all the time. And I’m losing weight that I wasn’t losing riding. I think the long rides make me starving hungry!

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

I am low carb due to type 2 diabetes (currently controlled with diet and excercise) wobbliscott what did the fat measurement involve?

bigblackshed

As Al says it’s a very rough guide.

You have lost the weight through diet and exercise, the exercise bit will have added muscle mass. BMI doesn’t distinguish between muscle and fat. It just looks at mass / height as two components in a very simple equation.

At the extreme end of an example, Jonah Lomu, that monster of an All Black winger who trampled the Underwood brothers at the Rugby World Cup? His BMI was 34 when he was at peak fitness. Which is at the top end of obese. He was nothing of the sort. Sir Chris Hoy was similar, his silly thighs were not normal.

I’d ask the questions of how I felt, am I fit? How does your body carry the weight you have? Being fit is more important than being the “correct” weight. I know some very skinny lean looking people who are physical wrecks. They are constantly ill with colds etc, a couple of them have massively high cholesterol, one has type 2 diabetes, but looks like he needs a damn good meal.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

If you look fit/healthy/good then that’s all the BMI you need.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Bmi doesn’t take into account muscles. Can you “pinch an inch”

Robz
    Free Member

BMI does not account for muscle mass. It’s a simple measure of height x weight squared.

If you are athletic and carry more muscle than a regular person it is possible for your BMI to be high despite low body fat.

My bodybuilding friend with single figure body fat percentage is morbidly obese according to his BMI

Body composition is a more accurate measure (using skin fold calipers)

footflaps

Build muscle which ups your calorie burn, and feels good too.

Since taking up weight training 2.5 years ago I have gained a lot of muscle and also a lot of flab! So my chest size has gone up 5″ but sadly so has my waist! Feel fine though so I’m not that bothered unless I look in a mirror.

Yours disappointed of Cambridgeshire….

Robz
    Free Member

Since taking up weight training 2.5 years ago I have gained a lot of muscle and also a lot of flab! So my chest size has gone up 5″ but sadly so has my waist! Feel fine though so I’m not that bothered unless I look in a mirror.

I would suggest that overeating is your problem, not weight training.

Conditioning via resistance trying is an effective way to manage body composition and can definitely compliment mountain biking if done correctly.

mogrim

For most people BMI is a pretty good starting point, the examples included here (bodybuilders, Jonah Lomu etc) are outliers. So unless you’re a six-eggs-for-breakfast bodybuilder or an elite sportsman, chances are if you’ve got a BMI of 27 you’re chubby and could do with losing a couple of pounds. (Note this has nothing to do with fitness: as pointed out earlier I’d rather be overweight and do a lot of sport than a skeletal coke addict…)

bearnecessities

Overeating is the problem, not weight training.

He’s right you know. You weight training lot (great activity etc, not bashing) go nuts on the food – it’s not necessary.

Obviously more than usual is needed, but not a 16 egg-white omelette for breakfast, 10 x 200g portions of chicken & broccoli etc.

I learned this myself, then gave up with weight training!

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Mogrim is calling me fat 🙁 where are the forum police we have a ” fatist”

dannybgoode

When I had a recent health check the Dr said they had stopped using BMI now it was rubbish.

They now measure your waist and if it is more than 50% of your height then you should action. Its the fat round the middle that apparently is a much better indicator of later heart issues, strokes etc.

epicyclo

dannybgoode – Member
    …They now measure your waist and if it is more than 50% of your height then you should action. Its the fat round the middle that apparently is a much better indicator of later heart issues, strokes etc.

Oh shit! I should be taller!

What exercises to get me from 5’10” to 6’2″? 🙂

mogrim

Mogrim is calling me fat 🙁 where are the forum police we have a ” fatist”

I said “chubby”, not fat. Everyone loves a chubster:

DT78
    Free Member

There was this thing invented for exactly that purpose, quite popular in the medieval era, a rack I think?

bMI is a starting point as others have said, buy a tape measure and focus on your waist measurement. Or get hold of some of those calliper things that pinch fat and measure.

I dropped down to 72kg last summer, and have yo yod up to 76 ish and back I can now tell the order of the area the fat goes on and comes off. For me a kg is about half an inch. So 34ish down to 32. Not sure what is heathy for 5’11” but I wouldn’t want to be less than 72 I started looking gaunt.

I cut out alcohol, stopped eating carbs and trained long rides (3-7hrs) with just water and fruit to get down to 72. Currently eating what I like and having a few beers with shorter intense rides and putting weight back on. Interestingly I’m faster on the bike now than last summer

mogrim

Not sure what is heathy for 5’11” but I wouldn’t want to be less than 72 I started looking gaunt.

I know I’m hitting my race weight when my MiL tells me I look ill 🙂 Same height and currently 69kg…

nickc

BMI was/is designed for population studies.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Body fat percentage is a much better measurement. Amazon have a couple of devices coming on later today in the specials section.

Solo
    Free Member

Accurately ascertaining an individual’s BF requires specific equipment in the hands of someone who really knows how to collect and interpret the data.
    If your underlying markers indicate you’ve no problems, then I wouldn’t get too precious out BMI.
    Blood pressure and blood test measuring HDL and LDL subspecies would be my start point.

If BP and LDL was all “on par” then I’d carry on as is.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Lard reduction’ is closed to new replies.