Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Laptop to TV connection help!
  • xcgb
    Free Member

Ok I have connected my laptop to my TV using a DVI -Vga cable and a separate sound cable.

It works and I have a picture- Hooray

But
    2 issues
    1 – I cant get any sound? I have plugged the sound cable into headphone socket and into the red and white audio in on the tv but nowt.

2 – the picture is too small on the TV I guess I have to change the display on the laptop but cant seem to make it any different.
    Its a fairly old laptop running vista if it makes any odds

Any Help appreciated

Ta

Cougar

The audio-in and VGA-in on the TV need to be the same AV input, if that makes any sense. If the audio in is paired up with a different video source, it probably won’t work.

Should be able to bump up the resolution to make the picture ‘bigger’, assuming that the GFX adapter can handle it and there’s no inherent limitations of your converter that I’m not aware of. Dunno how good those things are. Might be that you need to disable the internal laptop screen too.

Should be able to get the TV to adjust aspect ratios to blow the picture up a bit, but really you should be aiming for a native (1:1) resolution rather than changing the TV settings.

xcgb
    Free Member

The audio-in and VGA-in on the TV need to be the same AV input

Umm not to me it doesn’t! Not sure how to achieve this?

Cougar

Generally, when you choose a source on a TV, it’ll enable a given audio and video source. Eg, “AV1” might be SCART, “AV4” might be an yellow S-video phono and a pair of red / white stereo phonos.

Assuming you do actually mean VGA, presumably you’ll select “VGA1” or similar on the TV. There will be a corresponding audio jack to go with that, probably next to the VGA input. Randomly connecting the video to the VGA input and the audio to AV4 won’t (usually) work as they’re separate inputs. Cycling through sources would give you video but no sound, or sound but no video.

There should be embossed text next to everything telling you what they are.

xcgb
    Free Member

I have got a picture by selecting HDMI 3 so oops I must be connecting from DVI to HDMI ! sorry I misled you!

Same applies though I guess or is it because the sound is supposed to go through the HDMI and as its DVI at the laptop end it cant!

Maybe i need to try connecting vis vga – vga?

andytherocketeer

DVI is video only.
    HDMI is video (actually electrically compatible with DVI) and audio.
    The red/white inputs are possible for a different channel?

edit: not sure if there’s a clever DVI-HDMI adapter or cable that has a separate audio input at the DVI end?

Cougar

What Andy said. You’re connecting a video-only source to HDMI.

On my amp, you can pair different audio sources to HDMI inputs in the settings. Whether you can do this on your TV though, I’ve no idea. RTFM?

xcgb
    Free Member

Lol
    Ok i will persevere have another go tonight

Cheers

Cougar

Alternatively,

xcgb
    Free Member

ooh Thanks Cougar i had no idea such a gizmo existed

Cheers

Cougar

Not cheap mind. Depending what you want to do, there might be cheaper / better ways of achieving that.

cbike
    Free Member

I had a toshiba telly in the past that didn’t do native resolution via VGA connector.

So i swapped for a samsung.

Sometimes with VGA/HDMI selected you can select the sound source via the menu.

Cougar

Hold on, I’m being dense.

This:

DVI is video only.

… isn’t always true. It’s mostly true, but DVI can carry audio in certain circumstances. Primarily, the graphics adapter has to support it.

What’s the adapter in your laptop?

xcgb
    Free Member

cbike
    it is a Toshiba as it happens

I’ll have another go tonight

Cougar

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

Features specific to HDMI, such as remote-control, audio transport, xvYCC, and deep-color, are not usable in devices that only support DVI signalling. However, many devices can output HDMI over a DVI output (examples: ATI 3000-series and NVIDIA GTX 200-series video cards), and some multimedia displays accept HDMI (including audio) over a DVI input. Exact capabilities vary from product to product.

xcgb
    Free Member

What’s the adapter in your laptop?

Sorry don’t know or how to find out!

xcgb
    Free Member

I wouldn’t of thought the laptop had anything like that in as it was just an inherited phillips bog standard probably rebadged model

Cougar

Type “device manager” in the Run box, it’ll show you under “display adapters”.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

can’t you connect the audio to a hi-fi or surround system? that may be easier than trying to get pc audio out the telly

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Laptop to TV connection help!’ is closed to new replies.