Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Laptop still crashes, with a new motherboard
  • Duane…
    Free Member

Hi all,

My Dell laptop has been crashing for a while. Even when not doing anything remotely strenuous, the mouse will stop moving and nothing will work, and the laptop needs restarting. Sometimes it will happen 4-5 times a day, sometimes it won’t happen for a few weeks.

I recently had the mother-board replaced (for another issue), but this has not stopped the crashing. Any ideas what it could then be due to?

Ta,
    Duane.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Memory or driver.

z1ppy

Indeedy, re-installing you OS a fresh would be a good place (& free), if slightly painful, to start with. Shouldn’t be the O/S but it takes one variable out of the equation.

Though lots of memory test utilities are available to try also, so also worth trying too.

PS: I’d normally suggest it maybe some-sort of heat induced issue but ‘assume’ (rightly or wrongly) that the cooling system was attached to the mobo and so shouldn’t be full of dust & that fans are working and the cpu was covered with fresh heat transfer paste.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Could well be the memory. Run a memory test, or take each stick out in turn and see if it fixes the problem.

Cougar

Memtest+ for starters.

Vents clear, fan turning freely, etc?

jekkyl

i have some experience with pcs and my first thought was heat. Was the fan replaced at the same time as the mobo? and if so was it strong enough?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Laptop still crashes, with a new motherboard’ is closed to new replies.