Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Laptop screen help please
  • Max…
    Free Member

Hi guys.

One of our laptops has died – just the screen. Is it possible to connect it to the other laptop and use that screen so we can retrieve some data.

Broken laptop has just a 15 pin monitor port.

Working laptop has the same + HDMI port. Not sure if these are just output though?

Cougar

No.

Max…
    Free Member

OK. So can I connect from the 15 pin broken one to an HDMI monitor (my son has one for his Pi)?

Cougar

To get data off it you can take the hard drive out and mount it in a USB caddy or cable (there are a million and one of these things, random example).

Learn from this and back up your data.

FuzzyWuzzy

Yes, you’ll need a VGA to HDMI adapter though unless the monitor also has a VGA port. Or if they are on the same network map a drive from the working laptop to the broken one (\\brokenlaptopname\c$ for example) and copy files off, you may need to provide a Windows username & password for the broken laptop depending on the config)

Cougar

OK. So can I connect from the 15 pin broken one to an HDMI monitor (my son has one for his Pi)?

If there’s a corresponding 15-pin connector on the monitor (and if it is a monitor and not a TV, there should be) then you just need a VGA cable to connect it.

Max…
    Free Member

@cougar – Looking for a simpler solution really (ie screen)!

Thanks but nothing to learn in that respect- I have back ups of all my data on four separate hard drives in rotation.

However, there is still some minor stuff on there I wanted to check out before recycling the thing.

Cougar

Fair enough.

Max…
    Free Member

No worries – apologies as did not mean to sound harsh in return.

The monitor has the same 15 pin port so presuming that is just a VGA to VGA then and I’m good to go?

Cougar

Yup.

Sorry if I was a bit short also, I just grow weary of “can you help, my computer’s died and it’s got my University coursework on it along with every photograph I’ve ever taken in the last ten years and all my emails and and and…” To which the answer really should be “well then, you’re a ****ing idiot.” Especially the ones who were “planning on backing it all up but hadn’t got around to it yet,” they’re black forest gateau idiots with extra cherry sauce.

Max…
    Free Member

You cannot be too careful (if you value this stuff) – got virtually everything duplicated on two laptops (one now but soon to be rectified!) + four drives in three different storage places + all photos/videos again in two separate clouds…PITA sometimes to keep track but better safe than….

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Laptop screen help please’ is closed to new replies.