Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Laptop Q: How do I easily free up my C: drive by transferring to D:?
  • Shinythings
    Free Member

Running out of disk space, on my VAIO running XP Pro, and want to transfer, say My Pictures, from my C: drive to my empty D: drive.
    Basically, without messing up and also keeping things running as they are, how do I easily utilise my D: drive to store big files like photo's. Please?

Is there a simple way to move 'My Pictures' to D: and keep it there?

uplink
    Free Member

It's easy to move the whole 'My Documents' folder & it to become the default location

Click 'Start' & then right click 'My Documents'
    Select 'Properties' & then click 'Move'

Just browse to where ever you want to move it to & follow the instructions
    I believe it will also give you the option of moving all the files too

stumpyjon

What is your D: drive, an external drive, USB drive, partion on the laptop drive.

I wouldn't store stuff on a USB drive personally. For the other it's surely just a matter of using windows explorer to copy all your files to the new location (you could cut and paste but if you copy them your can then verify they've transferred properly before deleting the originals, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you). To change the location of the Documents folder just right click the shortcut and change the location the shortcut points to.

Shinythings
    Free Member

Cheers, will try that. Like most VAIO it has 2 hard drives and defaults to the first (C:)
    Not a complete Noddy, but this one stumped me.

Shinythings
    Free Member

Good lad uplink 🙂 Moved the whole of My Documents, Problem was I couldn't find the move option for just My Pictures, but option is there for the documents folder.

Still only got 3GB free after that, so need to move some more stuff.

samuri
    Free Member

you can move your paging file as well, should clear up a few gig.

right click my computer->properties->advanced tab->performance settings button->advanced tab, change virtual memory settings.

andyl46
    Free Member

Have you run disc cleanup?

Somehow, on an XP driven desktop, my 150GB drive with 15GB left was compressed to having 99.7 GB left!

My computer>right click the drive> properties> general tab> disc cleanup

Then defrag overnight…

Shinythings
    Free Member

Nice,
    How much should I set Initial and Max? any boxes I need to Tick?

Shinythings
    Free Member

Regularly do clean ups and defrag. Need to free it up and general maintenance and stuff

uplink
    Free Member

How much should I set Initial and Max?

set them both the same
    I usually set it to double the RAM but 1.5x is often quoted at optimum

Shinythings
    Free Member

Ta, so, how about 1000 initial and 2000 max?

uplink
    Free Member

both vales could do with being the same

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Laptop Q: How do I easily free up my C: drive by transferring to D:?’ is closed to new replies.