Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Laptop not charging
  • paddy0091
    Free Member

Does it usually mean a battery is on the way out?

13 month old ASUS (always careful about charging!)

FWIW the battery is internal so testing it would mean taking the laptop apart.

Cheers in advance!

kcal

Son’s much older Dell did this, tried various batteries (some wouldn’t even get recognised) but it was down to a duff charging circuit. Has to remain plugged in all the time now.

paddy0091
    Free Member

hope it isn’t that, batteries aren’t especially cheap (as you probably found out). Cheers

Cougar

It could be the charger, the battery or the internal power board. Battery’s most likely if I was to guess.

Take it back where you bought it? SoGA / EU two year electricals and all that.

kcal

Dell ones are v expensive. Ones that are supposed to be ‘compatible’ often aren’t (and are then a pain to send back, as Li-ion batteries). I think we did manage to unwind all the ordered batteries that didn’t make a difference, just needs powered in all the time. It’s a good bit older that 13 months though. That’s awfully early for the battery to go – must be a utility to check battery health (or not).

paddy0091
    Free Member

Actually got it online from a reputable supplier (SCAN), but they just advised a new battery as it’s out of warranty (the chap even searched amazon for one over the phone!)

good shout – will have a browse to see such a utility.

cheers!

Cougar

Scan are ace, but they’re my go-to supplier broadly because they’re within kicking distance.

If you can prove it’s definitely the battery then you’re on shaky ground as it’s arguably a consumable. If it’s anything else though, I’d be at their counter making a stink.

kcal

Scan would be a good call – though my lad got a Scan desktop system last year and to be honest it was no end of issues (whether at our end or theirs I’m not entirely sure – power supply went phut, machine would cut out for no obvious reason, graphics card went as well, it may have been one of the peripherals plugged in causing issues but I was surprised that that had such a catastrophic knock-on effect.. They are also not within easy reach, possibly should have gone more local..

codybrennan
    Free Member

I’d be pretty surprised if its the battery. Are you running Windows of some sort?

paddy0091
    Free Member

Scan seem OK, but do seem to point me to “get in touch with ASUS”, as happened when the HD died 6 months in…

it’s Windows 8.1, keep getting the reminder to switch to 10, dare I?!

thanks again for the insight all

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Laptop not charging’ is closed to new replies.