Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Laptop mutiple screen issue
  • spooky_b329

Anyone shed any light on this?

Lenovo T440 laptop, every single morning I have to change the ‘shut lid’ setting to ‘sleep’ and save it, then change it back to ‘do nothing’ and save again.

If I don’t, the laptop goes to sleep as soon as I shut the lid to use my main monitor 🙁

Stoner
    Free Member

Im a long time away from lenovos but STR that a lot of the hardware management is managed by lenovo bios/software and sometimes seems to override OS settings. If you go to the Thinkpad management suite, is there a power setting in there?

spooky_b329

I’ve got no access to BIOS as its a corporate machine, can’t find any Lenovo or Thinkpad suite or settings…

imn

If you’ve got the blue ‘Thinkvantage’ button on the laptop keyboard that should open the Lenovo software Stoner refers to.
    Failing that, are you able to adjust power management profiles (access from Power Options on Control Panel)?

spooky_b329

My company has its own power profile and when plugged in it is already set to do nothing on lid closure.

It used to work but for the past few months I’ve had to do this every morning!

Edit: No blue button 🙁 It may have started when I changed the profile to high performance, but have changed it back since. (no recollection of whether the change triggered it) Tried changing it with admin privileges also.

I also noticed the other day, after doing the usual ritual of updating the lid action, I then shut the lid and 7hrs later I got a low battery warning. I’d forgotten to plug it in so it failed to sleep when I shut the lid even though the battery setting was still set to sleep.

slowoldman

I’ve got no access to BIOS as its a corporate machine

Log a ticket.

spooky_b329

Log a ticket.

They’ll just end up trying to swap the machine out! They always refer to the self help pages and I’ve already searched them.

Cougar

I’d wager it’ll be set by Group Policy (ie, centrally controlled by IT). The only way you’ll change it is by talking to IT, and there will be no point to them swapping the laptop as they’ll all be the same.

Not sure as I’d bother, myself. I have an external screen at work, I extend the desktop across both. Quite why you’d want to use half the number of screens available I don’t know, unless you’ve got a really small desk.

gobuchul
    Free Member

My Lenovo doesn’t have the blue button but it does have the “Lenovo ThinkVantage Tools” in the program list. The power controls are in there.

Can you install software yourself? If you can, then the tools can be downloaded from their website.

cp

Why don’t you use it as an opportunity to embrace using two screens?

imn

Not sure this will work, but have you tried adjusting the current plan settings? Control Panel -> Power Options -> Change Plan Settings -> ‘Change advanced power settings’ to bring up a dialog box, and scroll down to ‘Power buttons and lid’ to see current and change (shouldn’t need admin permission).
    If you do have Lenovo software doing some things, you might see options on the left task pane in the Power Options window, e.g Power Manage, Battery Information etc.

brassneck

Not sure as I’d bother, myself. I have an external screen at work, I extend the desktop across both. Quite why you’d want to use half the number of screens available I don’t know, unless you’ve got a really small desk.

I’ve got 2 external screens and a small desk 🙂

Easy option is a docking station / port replicator – my 440 is set to sleep but when docked you wake it with the button. Then you can decide if you want to use the built in screen or not, but as others have said it’s likely set byGroup Policy so you’ll need an IT fix if you want it changed.

lornholio
    Free Member

Many laptops will overheat if you run them with the screen closed. Figure out another solution, like selecting which single display gets used, or blacking out the unused screen when your external screen is used fullscreen.

spooky_b329

Just to clarify, two external screens which is why I close the lid. Don’t you know DSE regs state multiple screens should be the same size and positioned level? 😉

Runs very cool as its got a solid state drive.

Docks were removed as a cost saving exercise a couple of years ago.

Group policy…doesn’t affect anyone else in the office 🙁

I will just keep living with it, STW has failed (although a sterling effort, thanks)

The only Lenovo software I can find is Microphone settings/mute

brassneck

Are you using a Universal Dock (USB connected)? How are you connecting 2 monitors with just the laptop?

Cougar

Docks were removed as a cost saving exercise a couple of years ago.

How does removing docking stations save money? You’ve already bought them.

The Lenovo power management has two components, the GUI power manager and a driver. Might be worth ensuring they’re up to date, if you can (there’s a Lenovo System Update util which will do this automatically, permissions permitting). I’d have assumed though that whether you change it in BIOS, the Lenovo app or the OS, it’s all ultimately the same thing anyway.

Do you shut down every night or just hibernate? Might be worth trying the other, or even just leaving it on overnight to see what happens in the morning. The other thing you could try is to run rsop.msc – this will give you a breakdown of what’s being controlled by GPOs, then you’ll be able to sift through and see if there’s anything there pertaining to power management.

spooky_b329

I’ve tried both shutting down or sleeping. The only thing I keep forgetting to try is opening the lid before unplugging monitors/shutting down.

Docks – they removed the ability to order them, when the old laptops got retired you could not get new compatible docks.

Two screens, 1 VGA, 1 via a Mini-Displayport to VGA adaptor dongle. You can also get HDMI to VGA adaptor dongle.

I will see if I can prompt it to look for a driver update.

Cougar

Random thought – are you on mains power throughout? Plugging / unplugging will change the active power plan.

I’ve just realised; from your OP, the setting isn’t wrong – you’re changing it and changing back, it’s as though the settings are being ignored. Sounds like a bug rather than a config option, which would lean towards drivers as a potential fix.

Cougar

Also,

https://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/downloads/migr-73695

… for the system update util.

spooky_b329

Thanks Cougar, yep the setting is remember but ignored, so I have to keep ‘reminding’ it.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Laptop mutiple screen issue’ is closed to new replies.