Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Laptop Help Please – Poor performance, fan running high, etc
  • dickie
    Free Member

What’s wrong with my laptop?

The Laptop is a HP Pavilion g6, from about 2012, Intel CORE i3, Windows 7, however I made the mistake of upgrading to Windows 10 last year.
    On many websites, especially this one, the fan runs flat out & the screen locks for short periods. Its becoming frustrating to use.

I’ve tried most of these tips to speed it up but with little improvement, the fans now running flat out as I type this.
    Tips

What’s wrong? is it just too old for todays on line world?

cranberry
    Free Member

CTRL + SHIFT + ESC, then “more details”.

What is using the processor and how much ?

When did you last clean out the fan and how ?

MikeG

I’d guess the thermal compound under the heatsink has dried up, I had similar symptoms with a 9 year old HP i3 laptop recently. When I took the heatsink off the compound had hardened and crumbled.
    Replaced with a squeeze of new artic silver and the fans now only spin up occasionally.

leffeboy

I often find that with Google Chrome. Using a different browser sometimes fixes it.

I’ve also had what MikeG says but that is more painful to fix

Finally, opening it up and clearing out dust and debris from the vents and heatsinks can also help

2012 isn’t old but its starting to get that way.

Marko

Same machine and same problem here. Fixed by upgrading to Win10, visiting the HP support site and installing all the updates and replacing the battery.

No idea which specifically fixed it – more than likely the HP updates?
    Hth
    Marko

PJay
    Free Member

Did you have any anti-virus software running prior to installing Windows 10? Some bloatware security packages can affect system performance and, now that you’re running Windows 10, you might find that you’ve got both your original AV software and Windows Defender running simultaneously.

Windows Task Manager should show you all running tasks and their processor load which should help to troubleshoot.

Singletrack (and some other websites) can be Flash heavy so it’s worth checking that Flash and your browsers are up to date; perhaps try a variety of different browsers too if you’re issue are website specific (I find that Chrome chokes on Singletrack for some reason).

dickie
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice.
    Putting the hoover suction on the fan ports seems to have cured the fan running flat out.

@marko – when I put in the serial no. on the HP support site it asks for the operating system. I’ve installed windows 10 but only Windows 7 & 8 are listed with lots of updates below.
    Where did you find the Windows 10 updates?

Marko

I think I might have done it as Win7 and then updated to Win10 or at least pretended that I was still on Win7?

I’m no expert, but I think it might have been the BIOS update that fixed it?

Apologies for the late reply – I need to check the ‘forum activity’ tab more often

Hth

fossy

If it keeps doing it check to find out what’s causing either high CPU or memory load on the Resource Monitor (click Computer Management, Performance, then open Resource Monitor).

I find firefox sometimes hogs resources, and ad blocker plug in

Cougar

Finally, opening it up and clearing out dust and debris from the vents and heatsinks can also help

I’d guess the thermal compound under the heatsink has dried up,

… would be my first ports of call, in that order.

Cougar

I find firefox sometimes hogs resources, and ad blocker plug in

ABP is a shocking resource hog, it eats memory. I got rid of it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Laptop Help Please – Poor performance, fan running high, etc’ is closed to new replies.