Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Laptop geek question…13in vs 15in
  • ibnchris

Starting new job for a tech start up in a coupe of weeks and they’ve asked me what I need in terms of laptop. It’ll be a MacBook Pro but not sure whether to ask for 13 or 15 inch version. I’m a marketing and biz dev bod who is learning to play with code, but my day job is primarily on the marketing side of things. My thinking is the 13 inch will be better for lugging around to meetings etc but if I’m going to be doing more than a bit of playing in the future will I be hindered by the smaller machine?

root
    Free Member

Got a 15″ MBP for work, perfect work laptop. Regularly take it places, no probs.

molgrips
    Free Member

Depends how much you are travelling with it. If you’re on and off planes and so on, then smaller is nice. Otherwise, 15 will be fine. It’s not exactly going to be a big burden anyway as root says.

ibnchris

I’ll be cycling about with it a fair bit…

root
    Free Member

I’ll be cycling about with it a fair bit…

I stick mine in a backpack? You seem pretty sold on the 13″ already 😀

Cougar

13″ Macbook and a big monitor on your desk. Everyone’s a winner.

ibnchris

If the 15 inch doesn’t feel like too much of a lump in the backpack I’d probably rather go large…

ibnchris

Interesting idea cougar…how does the keyboard feel on the 13inch

Duane…
    Free Member

It’s the same size keyboard as the 15 isn’t it – the 15 just has speakers on either side.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Go to a store and have a play with both. I’ve always had 13 as for “serious” work I’ve always used a monitor at my desk and I did’t need the highest powered CPU. the 15 has an i7 processor vs i5 in the 13

Mac Rumours Buyers Guide

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Always get the biggest screen you can manage. Because the screen measurement is between diagonal corners the extra 3″ screen size doesn’t translate into 3″ in length and width.

I asked my boss if I could just have an iPad. I mostly use email excel and PowerPoint so perfectly manageable with an iPad, Bluetooth keyboard and a monitor, but as a travel a lot much more convenient when I’m traveling. I got a big fat no unfortunately.

andytherocketeer

found my 13in too big and heavy already, and on the upper borderline of portable.
    ended up using netbook 90% of the time, if it ever needed to be moved from the desk.

molgrips
    Free Member

Interesting idea cougar…how does the keyboard feel on the 13inch

If you are having an external monitor for your desk, you might as well get an external keyboard and mouse – they are super cheap.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Laptop geek question…13in vs 15in’ is closed to new replies.