Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Laptop for Christmas Dilemma
  • Monster101

Morning folks,

Looking for a bit of advice, I ordered early last week a custom built Sony Vaio laptop and was told by Sony that expected delivery was between 19th and 20th of December. It is for my little boys Christmas!

Just received an email this morning confirming that laptop is in production and that they will now be shipping but between 21st-26th and could take 3 days to be sent from Euro distribution centre. Apparently, I cannot cancel.

Anyone had experience of Sony custom build? Is it possible to expedite? Looks like my son will be waking up on Christmas Day without a laptop!

What alternatives, rent one short term until it arrives? Buy one from somewhere else and then return? I am at my wits end as don’t want to disappoint my son and my wife will kill me!

Help! Suggestions? Does anyone know someone high up in Sony?

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

Just say sorry, it’ll come in a couple of days? If he’s old enough to be getting a laptop he must be old enough to understand that surely? Presumably he’ll just be happy to find out that he’s getting a laptop for Xmas, even if it is a few days late.

spooky_b329

I guess the distance selling regs don’t apply as it is a custom build? If they do apply, you can just buy a laptop now, when the Sony arrives you can return it at your own cost for a refund.

epo-aholic
    Free Member

yes, what spooky said….may be worth a call to inform them of your intentions though as it may change things as its highly likely that the laptop hasn’t been configured yet.

totalshell

distance selling regs apply to anything from the time you receive it you have 7 days..

Monster101

It’s a nightmare, he is 10 I am sure he would understand but don’t want to be the Dad that when he thinks back to Christmas when he is older that I let him down. I cannot really get the same laptop anywhere else. Sony vaio e series 14ich with decent graphics card, windows 8 touch screen and blue ray player elsewhere

Aaaarrrggghh

CHB

If you have an original email from sony quoting the original date (or other evidence) then the law is ENTIRELY in your favour.
    The original date was part of the contract you entered into. Sony in changing the date have broken their end of the contract.
    Personally I hate sony, so would cancel anyway and buy an Acer or any other brand.

Kick ass.

Oh and read this:

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/general/oft913.pdf

grum
    Free Member

At the risk of sounding like an old fart (aged 32) and committing the terrible crime of appearing critical of parenting choices, I can’t believe what kids get for presents these days. I didn’t get a decent laptop until I was about 25 and I could afford to buy one myself. Seems crazy to me but hey, I’m not a parent so I guess I don’t understand.

jota180
    Free Member

I’d try and do what others have said, again not sure what distance selling regs say about custom stuff but I’d be telling Sony you don’t want it now due to the extended delivery date, I’d probably also tell them that you will refuse to accept it off the courier.

PiknMix
    Free Member

you ordered a custom built laptop from Sony needing it for Christmas in December!

Sorry but lolz!!!

Nowt you can do except learn from it and be more organised next year. Your wife has every right to kill you and I hope you can blag to your son why Santa (who never screws up Christmas orders) has on this occasion dropped the ball!

CHB

grum: you sound like an old fart.

🙂

grum
    Free Member

In my day we played with a lump of coal, shared between the whole street, and we were grateful for it.

CHB

Grum, thats because in your day the miners strikes were on. Coal were a novelty!
    I grew up thinking that the days of living like Buck Rodgers were around the corner….I mean we had managed to get PacMan onto a handheld LED console….interstellar travel must be surely around the corner.
    Ah…..wilma.

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

My parents were awful at Christmas and Birthday presents. I mostly got books/DVDS I wasn’t particularly interested in and a few plasticky stocking fillers on the day, along with an IOU if I’d asked for something very specific (model number, price, which shop to buy it from), and some cash if I’d asked for something more general (“red jumper”). It sometimes made Christmas morning a little disappointing, and many of my friends found it quite funny how rubbish my presents were, but I obviously still love my parents and understand that even though they weren’t the most organised and were overly worried about getting the ‘wrong thing’ they still tried their best, and its not like I ever wanted for anything important.

Your son might be unhappy in the short term, but that will go as soon as the laptop turns up. In the long term, he may not even remember it, and so long as you are doing the important things right he definitely won’t hold it against you.

Monster101

Thanks guys!

Hey pic n mix, clearly you are a sanctimonious ****! Remind me not to piss on your teeth when they are on fire!

Tom-B
    Free Member

😆 he does have a point though.

PiknMix
    Free Member

To be honest I wouldn’t want you pissing on my teeth! Even if they were on fire.

Merry Christmas

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

If you’ve got the wonga and don’t want to disappoint, buy something similar for him then return the late one to sony if they’ll do that.

CHB

pik n mix…. wouldnt worry about the Urine/teeth thing. If he leaves opening his zip as late as he leaves ordering his presents then he will just end up with wet pantaloons.

OP: chill out!

PiknMix
    Free Member

he will just end up with wet pantaloons.

Best line ever 😆

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Laptop for Christmas Dilemma’ is closed to new replies.