Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Laptop fan always running
  • nickjb
    Free Member

My laptop has been getting a bit warm and the fan was always running and blasting out hot air. I recently opened it up and hoovered out a fair bit of dust. Now it is always running but blowing out cold air. I was hoping now it is running cooler that it would throttle back a bit as it is a bit noisy. A bit of googling suggests this might be something to do with a recent upgrade to Windows 10 but I’ve tried reinstalling Lenovo drivers and nothing has changed. Any ideas where to look? Lenovo Z370 laptop running windows 10 (upgraded from 7)

jambalaya
    Free Member
    TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Have a look in the task manager at what is running – Windows has this process that goes round rebuilding assemblies after an upgrade in suppossed ‘idle’ time.

How long has it been running with a high fan activity now it is cold air?

nickjb
    Free Member

How long has it been running with a high fan activity now it is cold air?

A couple of weeks.

It is a lot cooler than it was (ie room temp rather than hair drier) so I’m thinking software rather than still blocked.

I have been shutting down every process I can find. The fan starts slow on power up but as soon as the windows boot screen comes up it kicks into high and stays there.

leffeboy

Got the same thing and tried task manager as well as procmon in case there is something hiding itself. Not a sausage. It’s very annoying but its not showing itself easily. Im guessing that there may be done thresholds where the fan kicks in that have changed but I’ve not heard the time to track them down yet

JackHammer

Interesting… could coincide with my fault. I’m running 64bit Win10.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

of course there’s always the possibility of a hardware fault – it *could* be the temperature sensor.

JackHammer

Would that be on the motherboard?

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

er. maybe. I’ve not fiddled with that sort of thing in windows for many years but I’d guess you need something like this –

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

Let the laptop get properly cool overnight and see what readings you get at start up and after a short while.

dirksdiggler
    Free Member

My little used laptop started bugging me as the fan was always running. Task manager showed the svchost.exe running at some 40%. I did an event viewer log dump and the fans now off and running silent again.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Laptop fan always running’ is closed to new replies.