Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Laptop email settings?????? Help :-(
  • bigbloke
    Free Member

Trying to set my laptop up as a replacement for my desktop pc. I am having trouble with my email settings.

I copied everything from my desktop onto a bit of paper then set up my laptop using these settings but it says there is a problem with the server or finding server. basically can't send or recive emails??

I'm a tad stumped. Laptop is Vista desktop is XP but the settings are the same format.

bassspine
    Free Member

can you connect to the internet, ie is it just email settings, or a wider problem?

uplink
    Free Member

can you post up the settings?

What email client?

bigbloke
    Free Member

I connect my laptop via my dongle (love that word lol)

On my desktop it is a Virgin cable modem.

It is a pop3 account on outlook express on the desktop.

On the laptop it is windows mail???

When transferring settings to the laptop it does come up as a POP3 thing.

Lost from there 🙁

uplink
    Free Member

Given that you're an ex NTL customer

Username is whatever your NTL email addy is
    POP [incoming] server is – pop.ntlworld.com
    SMTP [outgoing]server is – smtp.ntlworld.com

neilb67
    Free Member

I had problems connecting my new laptop to Virgin. I just phoned the Tech Help and they talked me through it. Very helpful and got me sorted. If you have a Virgin phone line it free aswell…

bigbloke
    Free Member

Uplink….did all that in the first place, then ran into a brick wall. Looks like its a techy phone call then.

Thanks though.

Shakey
    Free Member

Does the Dongle connect to Virgin. If it does then the pop settings should be the same as the desktop, if not then you will need to put in the smtp server of the dongle provider.

I have had problems settings these up in the past, if the speed of the dongle isn't good then it will not send/receive email!

bigbloke
    Free Member

Shakey….the speed of the dongle is surprisingly good so far, its with 3 so i guess i will have to put in a new smtp, will that involve a phone call to 3 as thier customer service is usually pants.

Shakey
    Free Member

bigbloke – the smtp server should be smtp.three.co.uk but this was the provider that I had problems with in the past. This should work but let me know what error you are getting.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

bigbloke, are you sorted? Confusion here between email and carrier settings. The POP3 settings have nothing to do with the network you use to get there. Go on to the website of your email provider and get your POP3 settings from there

bigbloke
    Free Member

Ok…..tried what Shakey said to do and it has worked , i recieve email from my normal account now.

However i tried sending an email to someone and it didn't work shows this error……….

The connection to the server has failed. Subject 'test', Account: 'pop.ntlworld.com', Server: 'smtp.three.co.uk', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

Any ideas?

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

It's quite common if your settings are not right to be able to receive but not send.

Your mail server is NTL, so go on to the NTL website, go to email, and then look for a support section. It should give you all the settings, including whether you have to use SSL etc. Some sites even have a download program that goes into Outlook and sets it up correctly for you. In the meantime, you can send and receive mail from the browser so you can still communicate

spence
    Free Member

Hugh, did you sort this? If you want a different account to test or use I can set one up for you. Will be different pop & smtp so will provide a check that nothing else is amiss.
    let me know (phone or text)
    spence

Shakey
    Free Member

I believe there are two smtp servers which should be okay to be used with 3 mobile: – smtp-mbb.three.co.uk or smtp.three.co.uk.

Either could work but I know that Three are particularly fussy where sending mail is concerned. In the past I tried both and I am sure that one worked but not sure which! 😆

Shakey
    Free Member

I believe there are two smtp servers which should be okay to be used with 3 mobile: – smtp-mbb.three.co.uk or smtp.three.co.uk.

Either could work but I know that Three are particularly fussy where sending mail is concerned. In the past I tried both and I am sure that one worked but not sure which! 😆

bigbloke
    Free Member

🙂 Spence….Hi,thanks for the offer.

Shakey…..just used the smtp-mbb server thing……and guess what IT WORKS…sent a test email and it immediately sent.

Sooooooo i guess thats problem solved now then 🙂

Shakey
    Free Member

Cool, happy to be of service! 🙂

bigbloke
    Free Member

Thanks for the help guy's.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Laptop email settings?????? Help :-(’ is closed to new replies.