Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Laptop Battery – where from?
  • MaryHinge
    Free Member

I did a search as I’m sure I’ve seen a thread somewhere, but nothing comes up.

Battery is dead on my HP Pavillion laptop. Seem to be a few aftermarket sellers out there. Genuine ones are extortionate.

Anyone had a good experience buying one recently?

patriotpro
    Free Member

no experience but ‘tmart’ are as cheap as i’ve seen…

clubber
    Free Member

I’ve got them on eBay. no issues so far…

nedrapier

new trent on amazon. family favourite.

Edit:: don’t seem to do HP, sorry

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Cool, looks like no horror stories with aftermarket ones, so will now just wade through the millions of variations to find the one I need.

elzorillo
    Free Member

The result of a cheap chinese third party battery…

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

I’ve bought a few aftermarket ones and not seen the above melty effect, but generally they’re nowhere as good as the originals. Mine all started well but after a few weeks were about half as good as they should have been.

Some more thoughts here:
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/chinese-roulette-it-component-content

munkster
    Free Member

Bought a genuine HP/Compaq one from “SmartParts” recentlyish – obviously not as cheap as a third party one, but cheap enough for how long it should last and works well after 6 months or so. I’d buy from them again anyway FWIW.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I bought a cheapo one of eBay a couple of years ago and it immediately wiped the os and everything on the hd. Quite a few people said this was impossible but a bit of internet digging suggested that a slight change of power could effect the bios and do exactly that.

I wasn’t overly concerned as I was running Linux so just did a re-install of the latest version from a magazine freebie CD – could have been costly if it was windows though as I’d long since list the discs etc.. Personally I’d recommend saving everything and having a back up os disc.

Battery was fine afterwards though!

beej

I bought a genuine Sony one from LaptopBattery4u – they seem to source in Hong Kong, bring them to the UK then post them to you from a UK address.

Non-genuine ones were about £40 and needed a BIOS tweek to work on a Vaio (thanks Sony! Not buying a Vaio again!) and the real ones sourced in the UK were ~£300. The LaptopBattery4u one was about £110.

Garry_Lager

Not had good luck with cheap laptop batteries from Hong Kong – had a few that died in months. Wouldn’t use them again for any laptop that you need to rely on day in day out. Probably worth a gamble if it’s for something less important.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

bought a cheapy off ebay for my HP Presario, good life so far (2 months in), bit worried now tho^

Bez

I’ve had pretty reliable service from my Portable Parts battery and charger.

sweepy
    Free Member

anker battery from laptopmate uk on amazon has been as good as the original for well over a year

FuzzyWuzzy

Given most of the big name manufacturers have had laptop battery recalls over the years then I’d certainly be wary about buying a bargain-bucket one from China. That said the genuine ones are eye-wateringly expensive.

Cougar

anker battery from laptopmate uk on amazon has been as good as the original for well over a year

I’ve had an (ho ho) Anker battery as a third party replacement for mine phone. Dunno about laptop parts, but the phone battery has been fine and is well regarded.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Laptop Battery – where from?’ is closed to new replies.