Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Laptop battery life span?
  • white101

My (daughters) laptop is telling me I should consider a new battery. It’s an Acer Aspire, about 4 years old. Are they like phone batteries and only have a limited shelf life after so much charging? If so where to buy?

johndoh
    Free Member

Does it *need* a new battery then (ie is it holding a charge, is she able to work on it)?

white101

is she her dad able to work surf on it

Sorry should have made myself clearer.

Its fully charged now, I will unplug and see how long it lasts!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    br
    Free Member

Their lifespan is basically a limit to how many times they are plugged into the mains/charger.

I’d ebay and/or look at the AcerDirect website.

johndoh
    Free Member

But my point is – if it is just an automated message and the unit is still actually working then I would ignore it until it inhibits the laptop’s use.

And if the laptop is constantly plugged in then you don’t really need it working at all…

cranberry
    Free Member

If your laptop is constantly plugged in that is what killed the battery in the first place 🙂

For optimum battery life, run your lappy on its battery and let it run right down on a regular basis.

white101

After 40 mins its down to 70%. Can’t see a prob there really.

johndoh
    Free Member

Nope – just ignore and carry on.

FuzzyWuzzy

Absolute bollocks on letting it run down on a regular basis, it will be a Li-Ion battery and running them flat is what speeds up their degradation.
    Modern laptop batteries have built-in electronics that will be monitoring the battery health and trigger the alert once it starts to degrade past a certain point (probably it’s rated half-life).

Most OEMs warranty a laptop battery for 12-18 months but they’re usually good for 3-5 years but it does depend on use (again, if you regularly fully discharge it you’ll shorten this time). It should just gradually degrade though so just replace it when it stops holding enough charge to be convenient for the way you use the laptop. And don’t buy a cheap Chinese import battery from eBay, you might get lucky but chances are you’ll get a dodgy quality one that’s probably a fire risk.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Laptop battery life span?’ is closed to new replies.