Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Laptop advice
  • fervouredimage
    Free Member

My parents have finally decided to join us all in the 21st century and purchase a laptop and got themselves connected to the information super high way.

I’ve never owned a laptop, instead using a Mac and an iPad so I’m not best positioned to advise. Basically they want something fairly simple and basic. Mainly Internet use and a budget of £300. I was looking at the google chromebooks initially as they seem relatively straight forward.

Could anyone advise?

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I’d get them an ipad – unless you love having to go around and update their virus scanner, clear out malware, update software about once a month.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

They’re not keen on the touch screen and prefer a physical keyboard.

Cougar

Essentially your options there are ‘anything’. I’d suggest something branded; HP / Toshiba / Dell / Lenovo et al. Windows 7 in preference to Windows 8.

tinribz
    Free Member

Not a chromebook. See if you can find an i3 in your price range.

Dell seem to have put up their prices since chrimbo. This looks OK apart from w8 http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/asus-x501a-xx402h-15-6-ultrabook-white-20622593-pdt.html

mikewsmith
    Free Member

something from dell outlet with Windows 7 on it.

Just got a stupid bargain on an Inspiron I5 15″ should be near range.

epicsteve
    Free Member

The HP laptops PC World do are decent enough – both my kids have them.

captain-slow
    Free Member

send them to john lewis where they’ll be able to talk to a nice earnest young man in a lovely suit, touch a few keyboards, get an extra year’s warranty and know that they are never going to be knowingly undersold…

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Windows 8 no good then? Sorry, not being a windows user I have no idea?

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Whatever you get them – make sure you have access to something with the same operating system for the inevitable – “go here – click this” type walkthroughs

wordnumb
    Free Member

Windows 8 no good then?

Here’s a recent STW discussion on the subject: Windows 8 – arrrrrrrgh!

ButtonMoon

Cannot personally recommend, but I spotted this recently. Worth investigating:

http://www.studentcomputers.co.uk/Products/category/apple+laptops

I wouldn’t touch Windows………

skids
    Free Member

Windows 8 would be good for them if they never used Windows 7, you can get an ivy bridge i5 laptop for under £350

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

I’d get them an ipad – unless you love having to go around and update their virus scanner, clear out malware, update software about once a month.

Really? I guess you haven’t used a PC for many many years or are a habitual “dodgy web site” frequenter. Or have no idea what you are talking about but just have some “I look cool” windows hating attitude. Personally I have not had a virus on a windows machine for 12 years so not sure what you guys get up to.

I would avoid Toshiba as a laptop. You only need something basic so an i3 with 3-4GB RAM (seem to be pretty much the base spec of machines these days) would do the job. Windows 8, on the whole, is fine. It takes a bit of orienting for people who are used to the Windows interface but are not regular Windows users. If all they want to do is browse the web and view stuff then you could consider a tablet. If you like the Windows world then try a Surface or similar Windows 8 based tablet and that should give you the best of both worlds (small form factor, light, and with the ability to create and edit Office docs).

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Thanks all for the info. My parents wouldn’t understand Windows in any context other than single or double glazing so I don’t think Windows 8 would be a big problem for them.

Dell seem to have some decent laptops plus good size screens (15.6″) which I think would probably be important for my folks hence I’ve now ruled out the Chromebook option. I’ve only heard good things about Dell so might go that route for them.

It’s really only a tool for them to use the internet and a means to use Messenger services to keep in touch with family and friends and as already said any laptop is going to enable that.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Really? I guess you haven’t used a PC for many many years or are a habitual “dodgy web site” frequenter. Or have no idea what you are talking about but just have some “I look cool” windows hating attitude. Personally I have not had a virus on a windows machine for 12 years so not sure what you guys get up to.

Parents and grandparent open every e-mail they get – things are a bit better since Microsoft Security Essentials came along, but you can’t deny there are a lot of software updates..

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Parents and grandparent open every e-mail they get – things are a bit better since Microsoft Security Essentials came along, but you can’t deny there are a lot of software updates..

Pop them onto a Gmail account only 1 in 1000 spam get through that one.
    Software updates come once a week in drips and once a month for bigger stuff. Urgent stuff comes when it’s done. In fairness Win 7 needs less rebooting than previous versions and just having auto install on updates copes with most stuff.

If you wanted to be extra safe pop Ubuntu on it. Makes for a perfect safe platform and generally runs faster than windows. It’s come a long way in the last few years. If I didn’t need windows for work I’d be running it and have my parents on it.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Laptop advice’ is closed to new replies.