Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Lapierre zesty 514 or Trek EX 8 help me decide
  • downs523
    Free Member

I am looking at buying either a used zesty 514 or trek EX 8.

Zesty 1300
    Trek £1000

Both same year 2010.

Are these two bikes equal in performance, is there enough difference to justify the extra £300 for the zesty? Both are in used very good condition.

What’s your thoughts

rewski
    Free Member

I can only comment on the zesty, I have that exact model and still very very happy with the bike, likes ascents as much as descents, I’m still running the most of the same high spec components, even the bb has lasted, I’ve upgraded the bars and stem and added a reverb, the formula r1 brakes are great.

Edit – check this review out EX8

chakaping
    Free Member

Hi, I’ve owned both bikes (different models to those) – and they are honestly two of the best bikes I’ve ever ridden. Both very well balanced and fun.

If the 514 has the carbon rear end that might put me off buying secondhand, as they had a few snappages IIRC.

But otherwise just pick according to how gnarly your riding is – rather than which has better bits on it.

br
    Free Member

tbh Unless you are able to ride them you’ll not really know.

And if used, budget for replacement components, fork/shock servicing and bearings/bushings – could easily be £350 to spend…

rewski
    Free Member

The 514 does have the carbon rear and a few did have cracks near the bb, worth looking out for. Saying that my Trek Fuel snapped three times on three occasions, and was replaced three times by Trek, not secondhand though.

chakaping
    Free Member

Yes, Fuel EXs break too don’t they! I know a couple of owners round here had that.

Was that sorted by 2010?

downs523
    Free Member

It’s a tough choice! Like the look of the zesty better but it’s £300 more!

therag
    Free Member

The zesty is a very good bike, I had a 2010 514.
    I havnt rode the trek though.

rewski
    Free Member

Looks like there different bikes, zesty 140 and the EX8 120. The zesty was nearly 3k new the trek 2k, Zesty also as bolt through fox fork and r1 brakes.

downs523
    Free Member

Thanks for the posts ppl, I don’t hang around, made the decision to get the zesty! I’m without my orange 5 so need a bike ASAP.

Cheers

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Lapierre zesty 514 or Trek EX 8 help me decide’ is closed to new replies.