Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)
  • Lapierre Zesty – Why Shouldn't I?
  • fbk
    Free Member

Having sold my E-120, I’m looking for something a bit more “All Mountain”, capable of Alpine riding, Gravity Enduros, etc while also being my main bike for general XC stuff. The boss at my LBS is trying to convince me a Yeti 575 is the way foreward (got a demo coming up & cant wait!) but I tested a couple of Lapierres at Dalby last weekend – the Zesty really is a remarkable bike. It feels like a lot more than 140mm, zips up climbs with zero pedal feedback and is light enough to chuck about on the descents. I tried a Spicy which felt lovely and “planted” going down but was a slog on the ups in comparison.

The only thing that puts me off one is the fact they don’t do frame only options. Well, that and the multitude of pivots.

So, anyone got any reasons why I shouldn’t? And what’s the lifespan on the bearings/bushes like?

flow
    Free Member

I thought about buying one but the cracking frame issue and poor warranty service pute off. Have a look on lappiere owners club forum and search for cracked frame, there are an unbelievable amount.

TheFlyingOx

How about the Whyte 146? If, in fact, they actually exist.

Edit: Actually, I may know of somewhere that has a 146-S in.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Zesty is amazing bike. Go for the one that rides the best, don’t be swayed by the hype or forum views. Zesty 714 here and it’s been thrashed. Spain Atlas mountains. I would buy aother tomorrow no hesitation. Must be a reason why they have become so popular.

Buttscratcher
    Free Member

I went from an E-120 to a Zesty, and it was a massive improvement. The climbing ability is very nice on the Zesty, and it descends brilliantly.

If I were going to buy another I’d go to welovelapierre.co.uk, they’re really nice chaps and hugely helpful. I believe when one of their customers had wheel issues, they gave him a set of wheels to use while his were in the process of a warranty replacement.

rewski
    Free Member

2010 514 here, love it, makes me smile everytime. I’ve read bearings can go but mine have lasted well over 12 months so far. All bikes can crack, I’ve snapped 3 Trek frames.

timmys

I’ve had a Zesty 514 2009 for 18 months and have just had to replace the shock bushings for the 1st time (a couple of quid + £10 for the tool to do it). No issues with the frame pivots.

I wouldn’t worry too much about the reports of cracking. There were some issues due to manufacturing problems rather than the design of the frame and reports seem to have dropped off almost totally over the last few months. Of course, as noted above, anything can crack and the warranty will sort you out.

Worst thing about Zesty’s is probably the irritating press-fit bottom bracket. The Shimano one they come with tends not too last too long and finding and then fitting a replacement require special tools or high-level bodging.

chakaping
    Free Member

Worst thing about Zesty’s is probably the irritating press-fit bottom bracket.

Yes that’s the only downside.

Frame not the lightest in class but on par with many.

Ride is brilliant, but needs the RP2 or RP23 shock, not the Float R.

flow
    Free Member

Nope, 2011 bikes still cracking, do a search.

All bikes can crack, Lapierre’s crack more often than not.

Also I have read people waiting absolutely ages for warranty replacements.

chakaping
    Free Member

Lapierre’s crack more often than not

So you’re saying more than half the Lapierres sold have cracked?

I doubt even Commencals are that bad.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

It is a pain they don’t do frame only options, i’m not sure why all manufacturers can’t.

I have an ’11 bike, I think the only thing that remains from the original full build is the frame & chain. It’s not too much bother to shift everything else on.

Cracking issues I think have been a little exaggerated compared to the sheer volume sold, not to say they didn’t happen, but they also seem to be more prevalant on the earlier bikes.

The press fit BB is a gash idea. I wish there was an option to run a insert to convert to a normal BB, but no such luck. Apparently FSA do a decent sealed replacement unit however for not too much money.

Float R rear shock is truely awful on it too. I have a DHX Air on mine & it’s made a huge improvement.

rewski
    Free Member

Nope, 2011 bikes still cracking, do a search.

I find nuffin?

flow
    Free Member
    shaggmiester
    Free Member

They are’nt built solid enough! Heard of quite a few cracking, strictly an xc bike!

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

The first one I came to, wasn’t hard!

http://lapierreownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=564&highlight=crack

Large thread on breakages

http://lapierreownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=304&highlight=crack

There are a lot more.

Somewhat exaggerated really, there isn’t even a full page of results searching for the word ‘crack’, and pretty much the same on every owners specific forum.

Seems no worse or better than pretty much all manufacturers.

timmys

They are’nt built solid enough! Heard of quite a few cracking, strictly an xc bike!

… for winning the Megavalanche on 🙄

rewski
    Free Member

There are a lot more.

More links then please

alex222
    Free Member

just fork out the extra cash and get the carbon one 916

flow
    Free Member

😆

Backhander, the first frame is prehistoric, one of the first, the second doesn’t even give a date, and the third sounds suspiciously like he didn’t have enough seatpost in his frame.

Lapierres however break from pretty much new.

rewski
    Free Member

he wants a zesty though

backhander
    Free Member

flow; you’re full of excuses aren’t you?

shaggmiester
    Free Member

Timmy, who said anything about doing a mega avalanche!!? The bike is supposed to be a trail bike but in my opinion i would’nt use it for anything more than light xc, the frames are crap and crack! End of! 🙄

rewski
    Free Member

i would’nt use it for anything more than light xc

140mm for light xc – are you kidding?

IamSam
    Free Member

Hi,

Owned one for two years, 514, and it is a great bike. never noticed anything particularly bad about the float R shock. I have replaced the BB once and the headset bearings twice. Two weeks ago was the first time that the shock bushing had to be replaced and I managed to get one of the fancy needle bearing kits for a good price.

The only problems that I have with it are the fact it fills with water around the BB which seems to speed up its rate of wear, but this is combated by taking the seat out and storing it upside down after wet rides. I have a problem with heal rub on the chain stays but thats more to do with me than the bike. The headset is really badly sealed hence having to change the bearing regularly next time they go I’m fitting a hope one to solve this.

Its ridden twice a week in the lakes all year round and gets a fair bit of hammering……………………..and has not broken yet, plenty of dints in the frame and the fork looks like its been chewed

GREAT BIKE IF YOU LIKE IT BUY IT

timmys

Timmy, who said anything about doing a mega avalanche!!? The bike is supposed to be a trail bike but in my opinion i would’nt use it for anything more than light xc, the frames are crap and crack! End of!

My point was that in the past the Megavalance has been won by Nico Vouilloz on a Zesty and I think that counts as slightly more than “light XC”.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Timmys – don’t be rediculous, if you use one for anything more than simply pottering along canal tow paths it will fracture into a thousand pieces. ‘End of’.

I hit a rather large stepdown on mine at the weekend (surrogate DH bike at the moment), quite frankly, i’m amazed i’m still here to tell the tale. And not a crack in sight.

chakaping
    Free Member

Owned one for two years, 514, and it is a great bike. never noticed anything particularly bad about the float R shock.

Wouldn’t the 514 have had an RP2 or 23 shock anyway?

I found the shock fine for normal “round the woods” riding and trail centres but it was precisely places like the Lakes where I was unhappy with it.

It felt “wooden” when riding fast over rocky stuff, bike skittered about too much.

Swapped it for an rp23 and the difference was amazing, was able to ride flat out down the “ice cream run” at Rivington – which is rather rocky (and not “light XC” either). Never used the propedal again while I had the bike.

If I hadn’t found a cheap RP23 I would have got the Float R Push tuned at service time, which I’m sure would have been as good or better.

flow
    Free Member

Backhander, you must have had to search for god knows how long to find them Orange links 😆 How sweet of you

Lapierres are brittle as furck, everyone knows it.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Backhander, you had to search for god knows how long to find them Orange links How sweet of you.

Seriously, stop spouting crap. Type cracked Orange, cracked whatever into the searchbar & open up the form data & there is just as many topics, all with cracked frame. They all break.

And along your lines of “I once heard off a mates mate he had to wait ages for a warranty repair Lapierre” I also (more than once heard) Orange are tighter than a duck a*se when it comes to warranty & will squirm & wriggle out of it in any way possible, same with Trek & the Remedy’s cracking, etc etc.

Really quite tedious and boring.

flow
    Free Member

Ok ok, I will stop spouting crap, just to keep the owners happy 🙄

Lapierre’s are wonderful bikes, they’ve never has any issues with frames cracking and their warranty service is second to none, I would buy one without question.

There you go, is that better?

rewski
    Free Member

@ flow – you’re looking a bit silly

backhander
    Free Member

Backhander, you must have had to search for god knows how long to find them Orange link

As you can see, my post was minutes after yours. So, no not really. There are also countless threads about the creaking and rattling. I’m not trying to slate the fives, they’re not bad bikes just wanted to show that ALL manufacturers have difficulties.
    Why would you come onto a thread and start slagging peoples bikes?
    I seem to remember you getting very pissy and childish on the thread where someone did similar to the five. Maybe just shut up and let people enjoy their bikes and let them worry about it?

flow
    Free Member

Dude the thread says Lapierre Zesty – Why Shouldn’t I?

I’m not slagging off anyones bikes, I’m telling him why I wouldn’t, just like he asked.

If you don’t like what I wrote, don’t **** read it or keep your mouth shut?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Didn’t suggest that, however your Daily Mailesque sensationalism just makes you look like a bit of a plum 🙂

Yes there have been failures, just like most other bikes. The warranty service seems to be, on the face of it about as good as anyone else. Unless you have your own personal experience otherwise? No? Thought not.

I’m sure there is some upset cases, just like one of the guys I ride with who twisted his swingarm on his 5, and is still waiting 8 weeks later for a replacement Maxle back end, or one of my collegues who snapped a chainstay on his 2 month old Stumpy FSR & Spec UK have dragged their heels on sorting & just like some vocal Lapierre owners too have no doubt had some issues.

As for defending my purchase, if it was crap, i’m happy to say so, it’s only a bike for gods sake.

rewski
    Free Member

Not really that helpful is it though?

flow
    Free Member

Like I said I seriously thought about buying one, did some research and the frame cracking issue put me off.

The OP asked why he shouldn’t, so I told him what put me off buying one….you see what I did there, amazing!

All manufactures frames crack, but whether you like it or not, Lapierre a lot more than others (except maybe Commencal, although now that’s sorted apparently)

Deny it all you like, it doesn’t make it fiction.

S_J
    Free Member

Im pretty sure you’ll be impressed with the 575. I’m on my second having just swapped out my 2008 version for the 2011 model. One of the main benefits of the 575 is just how well it climbs for a ‘big’ bike. It’s also fair to say Yeti’s are not exactly immune from cracking issues either! Although that comment applies more to the full carbon rear end version which is no more.

shaggmiester
    Free Member

Rewski- yes the travel is 140mm!! And that is a good amount of travel for a trail bike, but your missing the point! Im slaggin the frame off NOT the forks! I would’nt put 140mm travel forks on a weak gimmicky frame!! End of!! 🙄

fbk
    Free Member

Blimey – didn’t mean to start a fight…although I guess that’s enevitable here these days 😉

Thanks for all the comments (good and bad). I am a little concerned re cracks as that’s the reason I’m moving away from Whyte (snapped several) – I really fancied the 146 but feel I can’t really trust them any more. Having said that, ATB-Sales have been truly awesome when it came to replacements! I do get the feeling anything will crack given enough abuse so the quality of warranty is important.

As for only being suitable for light XC use, I do doubt that! As mentioned above, they have been used for the Mega in the past and at Elite level for Gravity Enduros here.

Ho hum. lots to think about.

Edit: Flow – out of interest, if you were put off Lapierres because of cracks, what did you go for?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘Lapierre Zesty – Why Shouldn't I?’ is closed to new replies.