Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Lapierre Zesty owners – upgrade advise needed
  • Nickday1
    Free Member

Hi,

After 5 weeks of decision making I've bitten the bullet and ordered a Zesty 314.

I am now looking to get a few upgrade parts for it –
    XT wheels
    XT shifters
    XT front derailleur
    XT crankset

This has thrown a couple of queries up :

1: WHEELS??
    I was told the M776 wheel is the one I need but have since been told I need to find out if the Lapierre has a '6 bolt mounted disc' or a 'centre lock mounted disc'
    The M776 wheel is a centre lock wheel and The Zesty 314 comes with Formula RX 180 brakes which from what I can see are a 6 bolt disc.

Can I still buy this wheel and get an adapter etc? or can I just get the 180mm XT discs (will these work with Formula calipers??) as well??

2: Derailleur : again, which one??
    I can see 3 different XT offerings –
    : FD-M771 XT front derailleur, dual-pull, direct-fit, conventional swing
    : FD-M770 XT front derailleur ATB, dual-pull, top-swing multi-fit
    : FD-M771 XT front derailleur ATB, dual-pull, conventional-swing multi-fit

As I do not have the bike I cannot look so can you please advise which of the above 3 choices I need to order.

Many Thanks
    Nick

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Hey I have a Zesty 314 too which I have upgraded a bit. The bike comes with mavic wheels with a sort of centrelock system which can accomodate 6 bolt discs. The discs on there are 6 bolt NOT centrelock.

You can buy an adaptor to run 6 bolts disc on those wheels you want to buy. I would say getting a set of wheels with 6 bolt fixing might be a better idea unless you really like centrelock? 6 bolt gives you a wider range of disc options for future.

Not sure on the mech question sorry.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Beware new xt freehubs which do not last.

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

Yeh, my mate is looking for a new hub for his XT wheel. Any ideas for a cartridge hub as I have been told that they are factory built 24 hole hubs??

Same as below on a 514!!!!

jimw
    Free Member

I would be a bit wary of XT wheels- the three people I know with Zesty 514's have or are in the process of changing the XT rear wheels for ones with hope hubs as they have between them had four failures of the bearings/freewheels/spindles in less than a year- all sorted via warranty but not very confidence inspiring hence the change

IamSam
    Free Member

I have a 514, DON'T get an XT wheel set, as above the free-wheel is poor but worse than that is the replacement spokes end up being nearly seven quid each and Madison never have them in stock, crap if you ask me.

Front mech is a direct mount on mine, not sure about the never ones, if yes then you need to get an Etype front mech and take it off of the mounting.

hope this helps and remember DON'T BUY AN XT WHEEL SET the rims are also made of cheese, but are very easy to set up as tubeless 🙂

timmys

The XT hubs which came on my '09 514 are set up so they fit 6-bolt Forumla rotors but have locking rings rather than 6 individual blots. I have a feeling this might be some kind of Lapierre OEM set-up rather than what comes on retail XT hubs.

The XT rims look very pretty but I think there are lighter rims for the money. I also had issues with an XT freehub and had to replace it (which involved buying the entire hub as it was barely more expensive than the (impossible to find in stock) freehub in it's own AND buying a huge 14mm hex wrench to fit the bugger). People recommend checking the amount of grease in the bearings and adjusting the cup and cones before use. If that sounds like a hassle then I'd probably look elsewhere.

Regarding the XT shifters/front mech/crankset I would personally stick to the "replace when they wear out or broken" option. If you do want to spend money in this area I would personally leave the mech and cranks as they are and spend the money on some XTR shifters. The design of the XTR's allows you to position them better in relation to the brake levers and you get the very useful ability to shift two gears at once with one push or pull. That's where my money would go anyway.

Nickday1
    Free Member

Mmmmm food for thought there then…..
    Was only going for XT wheels as my friend can get them cheap for me! Will be about half price but am thinking the general message is NOOOOOO for XT wheels 🙂 – even at half price??

Whats peoples thoughts on the Mavic rims that the Zesty comes with? can they be adapted to run tubeless?
    What 6 bolt wheels would people recommend as an upgrade wheel for the Zesty?

Ta

jonrambo
    Free Member

throw it in bin an get thee sen a rey't bike like a th'orange lad! 😉

mendip
    Free Member

Hi Nickday1

I would upgrade front mech, cranks, shifters and brakes to Shimano XT to match the rear mech, but hang on the wheels through the winter and get some use out of it before buying a new set next year and you will have a rough idea what wheels to get and I would keep the current Mavic wheels as spare set.

Shimano XT wheels are not bad, as long you have the hub bearings serviced now and again, if you want higher spec then go for Hope hubs with Mavic XC717 rims.

Nickday1
    Free Member

Am liking the idea of keeping the wheels through winter then possibly changing next year.
    Wasn't going to do brakes as got a friend who raves about the Formula brakes on his Scott so am keen to see how they perfoem.
    Am keen on everything else though – poss XTR shifters now – especially I can save £££'s by keeping the rims for the winter.

mendip
    Free Member

Forget XTR shifters, XT will do the job and loads cheaper.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

XT wheels on my 714 still fine here. Best to wear out what you got then replace?

cheers_drive

Can I ask why you are buying a 314 then upgrading to a 514 spec (minus the carbon swings arm)?
    I have a 09 514 and I've trued the XT wheels once, other than that they've been trouble free but if I had the choice i'd get a Hope Pro 2 / Stans set. Don't bother upgrading the front mech – you won't notice any difference. Also don't bother upgrading the crankset – I had both and the SLX is every bit as good. Spend the money on some bars and a stem of your preference, and some proper tyres (I recommend Maxxis Advantage).
    I also fitted a gravity dropper and changed the big ring for a bash guard.
    Ultimately none of this will make the bike faster or better, so you're better spending the money on a skills course.

Nickday1
    Free Member

Got a very good deal on the 314 – £800 less than I could get a 514
    Plus I can get the Shimano kit very cheap so with the upgrades I 'was' looking at getting I'd still have been a good £450 better off v's 514.

Am now looking to def upgrade – shifters to XT and poss the crankset – I did notice difference between SLX and XT crankset on my Scott HT

I will also do little bits like – bars, stem, Tyres etc

DI1371
    Free Member

Just gone through this issue yesterday. My 714 went in for a service and they greased the hubs and realised that there was an issue with the rewar wheel and the freehub. So rear wheel went back to Madison, who am told are the sole importers for Shimano. They didnt have the parts, or the hub or a new wheel. So they credited my local bike shops account with £380 to cover the cost of two wheels. Had Hope 2 pro hubs on Stans rims, they dont look as nice from a purely aesthetic point of view but I am told they are bombproof and so much easier to service. Still a little gutted that the wheels have gone so may contact Madison to see if I can get my old wheels back and just use them over the summer or for XC riding. Sad I know but they are such a good looking wheels.

FuzzyWuzzy

I have an 09 314 and the front-mech is actually an e-type BB mount one but with the BB plate removed (it's not a direct-fit one). Not sure if this changed for 2010 though. Personally though if it's already SLX I wouldn't bother changing the front-mech (I only did it on mine to swap to a double version of the same SLX mech, could only find a place in Germany selling it though and probably not worth the hassle).

If you are changing all those bits you may as well get 10 speed stuff IMO. If sticking with 9speed then the XTR right-hand trigger is def nicer than the XT one but not sure it's worth the extra money.

Wheels I'd get Hopes with a Stans Flow rim or similar.

My current upgrades to my 314 are:
    Sunline V1 bars
    Thomson stem & seatpost
    Superstar grips
    XT shifters
    Hope semi-integrated headset
    2011 Fox 32 Float 140mm RLC's
    DHX air shock
    Charge spoon saddle
    XT chainset (double + fsa bash)
    SLX double front mech
    Gore gear cables
    Various tubeless tyres

So pretty much everything apart form the frame and brakes :p

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Lapierre Zesty owners – upgrade advise needed’ is closed to new replies.