Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Lapierre spicy or orange five?
  • lukehywrd01
    Free Member

Hi I’m new to all this but have decided to purchase a spicy or five. Does anyone with a bit of experience recommend either or? I will be just using it on weekends and the odd trail day thanks for your help

jam-bo

Which one did you like the best when you test rode them?

Rorschach
    Free Member

/\

lukehywrd01
    Free Member

To be honest I will be buying one second hand just on the research I’ve done online I’ve settled on these two. Was just wondering if anyone had a preference to which is the better bike to get

Suggsey
    Free Member

Us Orange Five owners will say Fives, Lapierre owners will say Lapierres!
    Your best way is to try riding one of both if you can find someone to let you!
    Single pivots will feel different to multi pivot but I prefer single pivot full suss for lower maintenance of pivots points although they can suffer from a bit more lateral flex than multi linkage bikes.
    For durability and because I own one I’d say Five.

deviant
    Free Member

Both do the same thing but in different ways. I think the Spicy is slightly slacker HA but fans of Orange will tell you the ‘5’ is bombproof.
    Pick one and enjoy it, suspension on either can be altered massively with coil or air shocks, aftermarket tunes, fork changes etc etc.

chestrockwell

Big Orange 5 fan here, great bikes IMO. What age are you looking at? Makes a big difference.

wiggles
    Free Member

If you want a small I know of a 2014 spicy team (full carbon) frame with custom spec for sale for £2800

lukehywrd01
    Free Member

thanks for the replies. I better get hunting looking forward to getting out there. Like you say everyone has there own opinion I think if I can find a good deal on either of them are be happy. Nice one cheers

dandasbike
    Free Member

I just swapped from a nomad c to a five rs and I’m very pleased with it, just put a ccdb air on it and its improved it no end to. In my experince the well documented single pivot failings are a load of bollox.

lukehywrd01
    Free Member

Thanks been looking on eBay 2012 onwards for the five ranging from 1800-2200. I’m not going to be spending anymore than 2000 thanks

thorlz
    Free Member

I would consider the Zesty to be more comparable to the 5 than the Spicy.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Shop wise,y and you may find an old stock model within your budget!

Suggsey
    Free Member
    esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

LOL @ Suggsey! 😆

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Grab that Alpine from Sunset 😀

Suggsey
    Free Member

😆
    Do you think I have a future in sales?
    Can you tell the TV is utter shite too 😆

pedlad

I,ve ridden both and both good bikes. Quite different specs so hard to compare the ride though. Prefer the looks of the lappiere and the easy maintenance of the Orange. If you like the looks I think a five with a cc dbinline shock rather than the older second hand fox shock it’ll come with would be a fantastic ride and you’d be able to make it feel exactly as you like.

dandasbike
    Free Member

@pedlad, would you go for the inline over the ccdb a with piggy back because its lighter?

pedlad

Probably yes if just general trail riding in uk that the OP is doing. More downhill long descent stuff then the piggy back makes more sense.

dezza53
    Free Member

Luke, I have just put my medium Orange 5 for sale, top spec, 1500 notes. Based in Hampshire if you’re interested.

dezza53
    Free Member

Luke, I have just put my medium Orange 5 for sale, top spec, 1500 notes. Based in Hampshire if you’re interested.

CheesybeanZ

I’ve had 3 fives and ridden a spicy . For me I felt I was sat on the spicy rather than in the five – if that makes sense . Both very capable bikes and plenty to choose from second hand .

rotten
    Free Member

I’ve got a Strange Five prototype for sale, 36s, reverb, Hope etc. It was in the for sale section about a week ago.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2010 5 in very good condition.

It’s got 26″ wheels though & It aint for sale anyway cos I like it.
    Never tried a Lappiere.

Goldigger
    Free Member

I tried both a zesty 517 and a 5… For me the zesty felt odd, not sure exactly what it was..riding position and didn’t feel solid like the 5.
    I walked away with a 5 frame and built it up myself..

wl
    Free Member

Fives are great bikes in 26 or 650b. Very fun bikes to ride, as well as versatile and reliable. As near as you get to the perfect UK all-rounder. Having said that, Alpine 160s are great too, especially if you ride a lot in the Lakes, Pennines, Alps etc.

chestrockwell

With your budget I’d defo be looking at a discounted new one. Drakes Cycles in Leeds usually have some decent deals on.

Don’t rule out the basic S spec if looking new as most of the kit works just as well as the stuff on the Pro. I’ve got a 5 29 S and to be honest most of the parts I want to upgrade I’d have wanted to on the Pro as well.

Pz_Steve

Hi Luke

Might be selling my 2012 18″ Orange Five. Marzocchi 55RC3 ti forks (150mm), Hope Pro wheels with Stans rims, Reverb, SLX brakes, otherwise pretty standard. In excellent (though well used) condition.

Only downsides are (a) it’s white, and (b) the old fashioned wheelsize will instantly kill you, as well as fundamentally undermining your sense of self worth.

Ace bike, though. Let me know if interested

nwill1
    Free Member

I have a Five and absolutly love it, came from a playful HT and thought I’d lose the playfulness but not the case!

If buying a 2nd hand 26″ they are well and truly starting to fall in value…don’t get sucked it to paying £1800-£2000, I always keep an eye out and have seen some very fine examples very well kitted out (& I’m picky) sell for £1400-£1600.

PS the fall in value is not because they ain’t as ace as they’ve always been but the because industry has forced change the in market to a new standard of 27.5″…some say marginal gains.

Anyway here’s mine…

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/11429269/

stuntcoxy
    Free Member

Hey man, I’m selling mine if you’re interested – with loads of extras and tires. £2200 ono – open to offers.
    Cheers Nick

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1700244/

chestrockwell

don’t get sucked it to paying £1800-£2000, I always keep an eye out and have seen some very fine examples very well kitted out (& I’m picky) sell for £1400-£1600.

Good advice. Last time I was looking for a 26″ 5 (back before 650b) the better ones in Pro spec were going for £1800-2000 but not anymore. £1500 should see you on a later 26″ in VGC.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Lapierre spicy or orange five?’ is closed to new replies.