Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Lapierre Spicy 527
  • trekstar
    Free Member

Thinking of getting one and was wondering what people thought of them. I’ve read a lot of horror stories about LaPierre bikes snapping frequently. Do they really snap more than other brands? How does the Spicy 527 ride?

ash.addy
    Free Member

Looked at one on the weekend. Nice looking bike apart from the internal caliper on the rear. This makes the rear end very wide. Any see the paint staying on the chainstays too long as it’ll have been rubbed off by your shoes.

ash.addy
    Free Member

Meant to say can’t see the pain staying on he chainstays for long.

bloodsexmagik
    Free Member

I own a zesty 427. Same frame as the spicy. Unless you ride with your heels in like a duck then you won’t clip the chainstays. They were worse on pre-production bikes I believe which is where most people get the idea that they are huge.

razorrazoo

I’m on the same as bssm. Been watching for rubbing on the stays but nothing to suggest my heels are either. As stated was modded for production frames. Can’t comment on breaking but does have a 5 year warranty which should give some peace of mind if it does break.

Not really had enough time on the bike to truly get to grips yet, but first impressions are good. Whilst it is a zesty I did swap out the fox forks for 160mm sweeps and gone 1×10 and 50mm stem so nearer spicy geometry now. Also binned the oem tyres which were horrible.

trekstar
    Free Member

So this large chainstay thing is nothing to worry about then? I do have pretty big feet lol.

trekstar
    Free Member

ash.addy – Was the bike you saw a demo bike?

razorrazoo

Try and test ride if you can, but definitely not an issue for me. Not felt my foot clip the stays or any scuffing. Here’s my Zesty (frame is the same as the spicy this year). I think it was flagged as a problem on pre production models and the stays got moved inwards by 10mm or something like that.

trekstar
    Free Member

I’m reading on other forums that if you have the wide version you can get it replaced for the narrow version for free. You just need to contact your dealer and they will send you a new one. All the newer bikes should be fixed though I think/hope

Dilwyn
    Free Member

Amazing looking bike. I test rode a 327 and loved it even though it was in too small a size.
    I’d probably get a 327 and put a pair of pikes on it.
    My feet didn’t clip the stays whilst pedalling but they did rub a little as I moved my feet around in turns.

kevs
    Free Member

i`ve got a 327 zesty and havent clipped the chainstays once (even with size 13 feet), although i do tend to have toe in both when i walk and when i ride.

ash.addy
    Free Member

No it was in the showroom but the guy I know there did have his doubts about the chainstays as well.

trekstar
    Free Member

Oh yeah and I have pretty big feet as well, will this guarantee my feet clipping on the chain stay?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Lapierre Spicy 527’ is closed to new replies.