Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Lapierre frame spares only available to original owner?!
  • sbob
    Free Member

maxtorque – Member

If LP are running out of parts, then it suggests to me that they made an error estimating how reliable there bikes are…

I hope you’re not suggesting that French manufacturing is diabolically poor, and is rivalled only by their after sales service?

Crag
    Free Member

For those that did manage to get new rear ends for the Lapierres, how much roughly did these cost?

With a second hand frame, I would guess that the new back end would be more than people have paid for the frame in the first place making it not worthwhile surely?

julianwilson
    Free Member

With a second hand frame, I would guess that the new back end would be more than people have paid for the frame in the first place making it not worthwhile surely?

Not necessarily: the chainstay or seatstay (for they are 2 separate pieces) of a horst or faux bar Turner is rather a lot less than the £5-800 you might have bought a second hand frame for. Foxy/zesty/froggy are 4 bar iirc. (Even cheaper for the big brands, I have heard £80 for specialized chainstays, but to be fair to lapierre and sc, we are talking smaller volumes)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mattjg
    Free Member

I’ve not read the whole thread but if this is true it’s a bad move from Lapierre or any other brand. With money getting tighter and a good bike costing a few grand, resale value is important, and who’s going to buy a pricey FS they can’t get spares for? (Not me).

chris_db
    Free Member

Interesting how many LaPierres seem to fail as well.

maxtorque

I’d be interested if anyone from Hotlines or Lapierre is reading this thread and would care to comment on the situation? It seems to me that one could quickly loose a lot of brand loyalty / reputation through rumour and uncertainty……………

mattjg
    Free Member

I was thinking of an XR729. I’m thinking again now …

rewski
    Free Member

I was thinking of an XR729. I’m thinking again now …

why? it’ll be fine as long as you don’t buy one secondhand.

Interesting how many LaPierres seem to fail as well.

there was a spate of faulty swing arms on the 2010 514s, all fully covered in warranty, not heard of others, I personally wouldn’t buy a secondhand AM/trail bike.

Most bikes break, my trek fuel snapped three times, luckily all covered by lifetime warranty.

legend
    Free Member

mattjg – Member
    I’ve not read the whole thread but if this is true it’s a bad move from Lapierre or any other brand. With money getting tighter and a good bike costing a few grand, resale value is important, and who’s going to buy a pricey FS they can’t get spares for? (Not me).

All of the (many) people that don’t do much homework before buying

mattjg
    Free Member

why? it’ll be fine as long as you don’t buy one secondhand.

because if I buy a new one then want to sell it it’ll be near worthless to a second owner

rewski
    Free Member

because if I buy a new one then want to sell it it’ll be near worthless to a second owner

not if you keep the receipt/invoice. I wouldn’t buy secondhand but if I did I’d want proof of purchase, for faults and I wouldn’t like to buy someones stolen bike.

mattjg
    Free Member

I agree with you on the evidence of ownership, but that’s not my concern here. My concern is the manufacturer refusing to supply spares to a second or subsequent owner. That’s nonsense to my eyes.

If this policy exists then I think it’s quite dumb. Car manufacturers, I believe, do what they can to support second hand values of their product rather than devaluing them.

Anyway whatever, there are plenty of other brands of bikes.

mattjg
    Free Member

relatively small companies that sell a large proportion of their total volume as high-end bikes can’t reasonably be expected to keep large stocks of swing-arms and front-ends

I see it the other way around – manufacturers should stand by their product and look after their customers, including I think secondary purchasers.

The way to avoid the need to stock large runs of spares is to make products that don’t fail.

Also I see it in a manufacturer’s interest to have strong second hand sales. Every branded bike on the trail is an advert for the brand, and it’s also supplanting another brand’s product.

Still, the market’s the market and we all make our own choices.

mattjg
    Free Member

my trek fuel snapped three times, luckily all covered by lifetime warranty.

This does not encourage me to buy a Trek.

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Lapierre frame spares only available to original owner?!’ is closed to new replies.