Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Lapierre Bottom Brackets
  • Girevik
    Free Member

Hi all, I am in the market for a new bike and have test ridden a zesty amongst others and really like it. I am a bit dubious of the press fit bb, is it easy to service like a hollowtech and do I need a chainset specifically for press fit. I have tried google but cant come up with anything conclusive.

Brake-neck
    Free Member

Its easy enough to fit but the easiest thing is to only have to do it once so when you do change it use a ceramic one, that way you won't be doing it every 6 months.Bearings seem to be a place where costs have been cut with the Zesty ( don't know about the other Slappys) I've had to change the headset on my 314 as well and its only 9 months old, mind you, riding thought winter probably didn't help them much.

dasnut
    Free Member

no you don't need a specific chainset, the total bearing width etc. is the same as hollowtech 2.
    enduro fork seals do decent aftermarket replacements – I heard Phil Woods does them too, not seen em though.
    enduro fork seals ceramic clicky

spooky_b329

Are you buying new? I thought they'd ditched press fit and had gone back to the external type this year?

nickegg
    Free Member

Cranks are standard and just get the BB replaced with the new Enduro Ceramic one when the time comes. Thats what i'll be doing on mine.

chakaping
    Free Member

2010 are still press fit. There are rumours of a return to standard external for 2011.

Mine's not been brilliant, seems to seize up but then free up again after a bit of pedalling.

One dealer told me his had been doing that for 18 months and was still working, but it's hardly confidence inspiring.

It's such a great bike that I don't really mind though.

nickegg
    Free Member

Thats weird Chakaping! Is that after it's been left for awhile after cleaning? I have heard that water can collect in the BB causing problems as there is no drain hole like some bikes have.

Havn't found that on my 514 yet but it isn't my only bike and i don't intend to use it when it gets muddy/wet again plus i'm careful to not blast it with the hose. The BB was the only thing i was abit cautious about but not enough to not buy one!

chakaping
    Free Member

It's when I go back to the bike following a wash or a wet ride (or both).

Pondering getting some of those enduro bearings in the garage ready for when it does give up the ghost.

FuzzyWuzzy

I was surprised the amount of water that came out of my Zesty after turning it upside down to go into a mates car (normally travels on it's side in my car). My first Zesty BB only lasted a few months but the second one (think same Shimano model as the original) has been fine since. I notice a few other manufacturers doing press-fit for 2011 so odd if Lapierre move away (although no less odd than using that 'standard' in the first place).

IamSam
    Free Member

Hey,

Similar experiences with the headset and Bottom bracket bearings on my Zesty replaced the head set one's which had rusted to pieces with normal Cane creek ones and they have been fine for ages. The bottom bracket does get stiff if the bike is stood for any length of time but seems to sort its self out after a few turns of the cranks. I have started to put some grease around the seals but that's more to make me feel like I'm doing some thing about it.

Girevik
    Free Member

Thanks guys, so it seems it shouldn't put me off buying one !

cheers_drive

Just fitted a new steel Enduro BB to mine. The original lasted a year including some very wet and gritty rides, as others have said it does seize and free up and I popped the seals off and regreased a couple of time but that a normal life for at HT2 BB. Removing and fitting is easy with the correct tools although removal did require a scary use of a club hammer!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Lapierre Bottom Brackets’ is closed to new replies.