Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Laphroaig 18 y/o… lovely!!
    Free Member

I've just opened a bottle of Laphroaig 18 y/o, and I just had to share how damned good it is!

That is all, thank you.

epicyclo

Careful. There's been a recall. Apparently users have been falling down and suffering splitting headaches.

Luckily for you I am an expert, so sent the rest of the bottle to me for destruction testing.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Good idea. [heads off in the direction of the booze stash]

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    iDave
    Free Member

i'm thinking of driving up to the islay festival in 2 weeks – Laphroaig and Jura tasting play a big part…..

johnners
    Free Member

Bowmore's worth a try too while you're there…

stevomcd
    Free Member

You've made me want one now…

[goes and gets bottle out]

Mmmmmm…. Quarter Cask…. 🙂

Only enough left in the bottle for one dram too.

stratobiker
    Free Member

Oh thanks for sharing that!

bighendo
    Free Member

i`d rather drink pig piss
    than that shite

MrOvershoot

bighendo – Member

i`d rather drink pig piss
    than that shite

Carry on then we won't stop you.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Seen a bottle of Jura Origin in the local Tesco, keeps calling out to me as i pass…

debaser

That laphroaig sounds good, I've never tried the 18 year old. Is it a wee bit more refined than the blustering 10 year old?

I'm currently enjoying a rather special SMWS 24 year old Highland Park. Only 123 bottles in existence and soon, I fear, only 122 🙂

edhornby

Highland Park 18yo is rather good too 😀 I have one on the go at the moment..

chakaping
    Free Member

Glenlivet 18yo here.

Smoooooth but still nice and warm. Mmmmm.

samuri
    Free Member

My most favourite drink. I need some more actually.

Free Member

It's a different world to the 10 y/o in my humble opinion, if you could compare the 10 y/o to a top-end alloy hard tail, and the 18 y/o to a custom-built steel hardtail with a carbon seat/chain stay – a more refined ride with that harshness removed, but yet more refined, controlled and ultimately much more enjoyable.

The bottle was a gift and spending £75~ on one bottle of drink is quite a bit more than i'd spend for a good bottle to drink, not much more and they'd be investments! Which brings me nicely onto the Islay festival. If you can afford to purchase some of the special, festival-only bottles then I would heartily suggest it! If you could buy two of them, one to drink and one to save that would be better 😉 I had some friends of laphroaig 2007 bottle which doubled in price the next day! (and has remained fairly consistently up there) (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Laphroaig-Vintage-1989-FoL-2007-Feis-Ile-/270577262296?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Collectables_Bottle_Pots_ET&hash=item3effa95ed8) (that's not mine btw!)

I wish I could afford to re-visit Islay this year! Take some photo's if you go!

jt

Tomahawk
    Free Member

Anything over 16yrs from Highland Park, Macallan or Laphroiag with do the job nicely. Splash of H2O bring out the aromatics and enjoy.
    Dalwhinne is a good general all rounder for an option.

richmtb

I really enjoy the Islay malts, I've got a bottle of Lagavullin and a bottle of Ardbeg (not the 10yo the one the begins with U!) I've tried the Laphroaig 18yo and it it lovely, like you say much more subtle but more rewarding.

grumm
    Free Member

i'm thinking of driving up to the islay festival in 2 weeks – Laphroaig and Jura tasting play a big part…..

I went a few years ago for my brother's stag do – was great fun.

chakaping
    Free Member

if you could compare the 10 y/o to a top-end alloy hard tail, and the 18 y/o to a custom-built steel hardtail with a carbon seat/chain stay – a more refined ride with that harshness removed, but yet more refined, controlled and ultimately much more enjoyable.

I'm not taking the piss, but that really is a classic STW quote.

Coyote
    Free Member

<Makes note to self. Pick up more Jack Daniels from shop tonight>

Free Member

Thanks Chapaking 😉

Tomahawk
    Free Member

<Makes note to self. Pick up more Jack Daniels from shop tonight>

Tried 'Maker's Mark'… the pinnacle of America's alcoholic exports.

Tomahawk
    Free Member

Not Pinnacle as in 'Evans' Pinnacle or it would taste like badger piss (not too bad… to pre empt your curiosity!)

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Laphroaig 18 y/o… lovely!!’ is closed to new replies.