Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Lanzerote- Road cycling?
  • matthewmountain
    Free Member

The other half wants some sun in late November /early December and Lanzergrotty has been mentioned. Is it really grotty?

Where would be a good base for a road cycling holiday. We went to Mallorca in April and loved it, but the climate is a bit unstable at this time of year.

Can any one recommend decent bike hire?? And where would be the Pollensa of Lanzerote, i’m guessing there are plenty of places set up for cyclists??

I want to avoid high rise, larger lout types who get value from all inclusive places!!

I’m guessing the cycling has less routes than Mallorca as its a smaller island?!

Thanks

njee20
    Free Member

I did 5 days riding there (as a training camp, so 80+ miles a day), and we’d covered virtually every road on the island! It’s very windy, soul destroying on your own I’d say!

The lumpy bits in the north – Tabayesco notably offer some decent riding, but it’s no Mallorca. La Santa is probably the obvious ‘centre’ – Club La Santa just outside the village is a massive sports complex noted for it’s triathlon training facilities (I was there with a bunch of triathletes).

weeksy

I hired my Ghost from Papagayo bikes. Run by a German called Markus, really good lad.

They do road bike stuff too. Some nice hills there.

As for it being grotty, nothing could be further from the truth these days. We’ve been for the last 3 years and love the place.

chipsngravy
    Free Member

A couple of years ago I spent a week in October in Matagorda. Took my road bike. Most days 30-40 mile loops, with a couple of 80 mile rides. Managed to see almost all of the island by the end of the week.

Leaving Matagorda everything was uphill from there. Great fast downhills on the way back.
    Some pretty good climbs
    Riding through the lava fields of Timanfaya National Park was quite surreal, especially when it was overcast and rainy.
    Wind can be an issue.
    Plenty of other roadies are out there.

Take some spare tyres and tubes. Conti GP4000’s were over €60 in some shops.

An ideal cycling break to get you ready for winter.

Have fun.

GregMay
    Free Member

Great spot for riding, nice and windy 🙂 Not as much vertical as some of the other islands, still bloody hard.

Go check out the climb at Femes….bring your strongest legs.

chipsngravy
    Free Member

The hills looking down on Arrecife airport are a great place to stop and some plane watching. The planes step down the contours of the mountains on their approach and the wind makes landings a bit lively with quite a few landings aborted.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

I used to go to training camps at club la santa when i was a youngster. Was a great facility – olympic size swimming pool, football pitches, athletics track, gym etc and you could rent decent bikes too.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I’d not stay at LaSanta unless going to the resort. I prefer to stay at Teguise as it’s close to the airport but in easy range of the north end of the island for good riding, as Njee says, you can pretty much do all the island in a day if you gets a clip on!

greggparker9
    Free Member

I can’t comment on the riding but spent a week there on a boat last year and it was fantastic. I too was expecting the grotty side and was very pleasantly surprised. Had a friend working at Club La Santa as a dive instructor so got to check that out and their facilities are amazing. Good place to stay in my opinion.

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

we stayed in Teguise (in middle, not costa)last Feb. One of our lads was blown off his bike on a straight road. Been to Fuerta as well which also was windy ….as Njee says- soul destroying at times.Lots of long straight roads. We are avoiding it this year and going to spain in March, even if the weather isnt as good.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Soul destroying for pussies, character building for hardmen. Been there a few times for proper training, one day did the ironman route, was a tough route but not that bad but would not want to do a marathon after. Did over 600 miles in the week and as said previously, did ever road, some a few times.

OP You spelt the island name wrong.

clunker

I am booked for a week at La Santa next March, taking my road bike. First time away from my three children and only ever been away for a few days from the wife 😳

LMT
    Free Member

Have been last 3 years in nov/dec stay in costa tequise. Road riding round the main town was good fun, did some trail riding with one of the local guides, very dusty and windy.

This year going early nov instead and oh wants a fancy holiday so off to playa blanca instead, although i have a road bike ready, just hope its not as windy as they say!

mikey.b
    Free Member

I stayed at playa blanca for 2 weeks last Xmas and took my road bike. Loads of excellent easy to find circular routes. The wind was a little soul destroying on some days ( couldn’t even take my hands of the handle bars on one day – had to stop every time I wanted to have a drink) loads of cyclist training for the ironman on the Xmas week. Would recommend staying in playa blanca or costa Teguise looked pretty decent to me.

LMT
    Free Member

Should add, i only use the adults or couples only hotels. The one in costa tequise is Thompson Gold rated the Coronas Playa, food is good, service awesome, hotel right by the sea front. Only snag is its 10 years old now, myself and my Oh went the first year it opened still got most the same staff.

The hotel is bike friendly and a couple of rental places nearby, some well specced treks and speshi’s. I only have 1 problem with the hotel and its the reason we haven’t gone back this year, is that its dated seriously needs a refurb, its comfy enough but doesn’t warrant its 4 star status anymore.

The main town of costa tequise is really friendly and nice place to be, beaches are nice and sea lovely and warm even in december.

golfcurry
    Free Member

i was there a couple of months ago and hired a carbon road bike from BH Action store just outside puerto del carmen. Lovely bike, pleasant people and its very windy but i dont mind that seeing as i ride in the north around middle-in-teesdale. i enjoyed the roads to the north the best and as has been mentioned you can cover the island with a good ride, i did the ironman route which covers quite a bit of it. Enjoy.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Lanzerote- Road cycling?’ is closed to new replies.