Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Lanzarote: riding and hiring advice please…
  • ibnchris

Planning a trip to Lanzarote in November. Have had aloof online and found what look like some pretty good routes. Has anyone actually ridden there and if so is it any good? And should I take my own bike or hire one out there?

Or is it not worth the hassle and therefore stick with the beach!

weeksy

Its quite ‘basic’ but nice too. Volcanic rock is trippy but moves about lots. No trees. So just paths and trails that are mostly simple.

I hired mine and did a tour day, was nice day out. Hot though.

porter_jamie

i am here now. we hired some bikes from ‘tommys bikes’ in costa teguise, a little shop run by a german couple who are very nice.

i got an old spesh hardrock ht (with v mounts!) but with a comedy collection of parts – xtr combined lh shifter and brake lever (front brake i can’t get used to it) seperate rapidfire shifter and a juicy 3 brake on the right (for the rear) xt cranks, v8 pedals, bald schawble tyres, xtr rear mech, nameless carbon bars (really narrow) and a really long stem.

my missus got a trek hardtail with a lower spec collection of random bits including a magura rear brake with braided hose and an unheard of front brake. she brought her own trusty selle italia saddle and vault pedals.

40 euros each for 3 days which i don’t think is too bad.

if you got cable operated disk braked bikes you could easily swap the cables over, but you would end up with a lower spec bike – i wanted a bike with half decent forks, but our two have suntours i think, and the wife’s bikes ones are nearly seized up. there was a bike with rockshox but it was too big for me.

the people in the shop sold us a really good map, and showed us a few routes on it.

it’s a bit hot. you are going to need a camelbak. our bikes came with cages but no bottles. there is no shade at all anywhere.

personally i dont think it is worth bringing your own bike. we are at our own villa so we can keep them overnight locked in the yard, im not sure what you could do with your own bike if you stayed at a hotel – the people at the shop said they do go missing.

go any links to the routes you mentioned?

LMT
    Free Member

On the main beach front at Costa Tequise there is a british couple they hire out Cubes, offered a tour but ride at own risk as usual biking so not offical, but took in some great parts of the island was like a mates ride round cannock some banter and really made my holiday a few years back.

Last year i stayed at Playa Blanca so hired a road bike through the hotel i was staying in, theu sourced me a top spec specialized road bike cost was 50e for the week, road biking once away from the main towns was just brilliant took in some great views of the south of the island and some great climbs and downhills on smooth tarmac roads.

Going again end of novemeber and have the bike sorted, just remember to take your lid, camelbak, shoes and pedals if you want a particular setup.

seanypops
    Free Member

I hired a road bike from Tommy’s bikes back in March. Very pleased with the service and bike which was set up for me while I waited (Felt). He gave me a good route to follow which took in the best scenery. I had along chat on my return about mtbing and the best routes, He said he was happy to show me round which was kind although I no time left to take up the offer. I did see a signed mtb route you can follow and Tommy would be able to point you in the right direction. I am of to Tenerife in November for a week so looking to head out to teide.

haggis1978

I was over in Tenerife during the summer and the guide I had had ridden all over the canaries. He said that lanzarote only had one big mountain to ride around and rated the trails around Tenerife much more. Much more volcanoes and each run was about 30 miles downhill. I loved it. Some good single track to be had. Darren at Lavatrax is the boy to speak to if you change your destination and he has modern Marin wolf ridge bikes and mount visions.

Alex

Second recommendation for Darran. He’s a top fella, good rider and has many great routes. And you get shuttled most of the time to the top. We did four days in Tenerife last winter and it was fantastic.

gribble
    Free Member

LMT – do you have any details of the outfit you rented bikes with/went on a tour with? I am looking to do a day in Lanzarote in November. Would be happy to pay someone to guide as I think it may be a non starter.

Was it Tommy’s Bikes?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Lanzarote: riding and hiring advice please…’ is closed to new replies.