Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Lanzarote Mountain Biking
  • grantmccall63
    Free Member

Hey, I’m off to Lanzarote for a week just before Christmas and looking for some suggestions for some good mountian biking. Plan to go out for a couple of half days so looking for some good trails in the north of the island around Haria.

Also keen to hear from anyone who’s hired a bike and had it delivered to their accommodation…who did you use ? ….. thanks in advance.

R.lepecha

the bike hire over there is bloody rubbish, or where we stayed they were, we hired 2 bikes both bikes weighed a tonne(hardtail) had really old deore which didn’t shift, v brakes that didn’t hardly work, and the most rigid Rst gila t8’s ever. To top it off they both had hybrid tyres on it, despite saying “mountain bike”

Davesport

Just back from Lanzarote & I didn’t see any decent MTB’s of any description. The hire bikes I saw personally were universally bad, most of them creaking & groaning from zero maintenance. There are a few good bike shops over there though, one of them http://www.probikelanzarote.com/ was full of good roadie kit. It might be worth giving him a call for a heads-up on what’s available with regards to MTB’s. I tried speaking to him in my pigeon Spanish por favor……but he’s a brit !

D.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

there is some good bike hire but you need to book early

MTB is really all in the north

I can’t find the shop we used to hire though

donsimon
    Free Member

I’ve just had a quick Google and come up with
    Tommy’s
    Another, but not so promising…

I’ve never used either, I don’t know who they are and if they’re cr4p it’s not my fault, OK?

LMT
    Free Member

There was a place in Costa teguise in the main town, had some well spec’ed treks and giants, yep it was tommys. My only problem was the weather was roasting when we were out there over 40 degree’s each day so my tour was cancelled, was well gutted as i wanted a days biking!

If you find any contacts, would be great if you could share them as im going back in feb and im 100% biking for a few days this time!

grantmccall63
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies, it seems as if I will be able to get a decent bike for hire there.

Anyone have any guidance on routes to take. It seems being in Haria that I’m right in the middle of it but would like to hear from anyone who has been in that area…….thanks again.

I will report back on my return.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

I was over there in late 94, staying in Puerto Del Carmen. Almost all the trails I found in the south of the Island were dirt roads. I got plenty of miles in seeing the scenery and can’t remember finding any singletrack although I didn’t get to the northern third of the island.
    I did a day trip on the ferry over to Fuerteventura but apart from some good beaches there wasn’t a lot to see within 15 or so miles of the ferry terminal.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Stayed in Caleta de Famara (N of the island) two years ago and the MTBing potential looked amazing!

Sanny
    Free Member

Have a look at Find – Rowan Sorrel has a section filmed there. Looks terrific. There is a guiding company out there whose name Ii forget.

Cheers

Sanny

scruff
    Free Member

I took my own bike, bought a spansih map before I went and just hit dirt roads / tracks at random. Some decent coastal rides but alot of big quarry traffic on the ones which went inland. It was also far too hot.

cp

I’m off to Costa Teguise in 7 days 🙂 That Tommys place is very near to if not the place I rented bikes from, oooo, 17 years ago!

lightningbolt
    Free Member

For quality mtb hire and offroad riding in Lanzarote go to ‘Evolution bikes’ in costa teguise. find them on the beach front at las cucharas. English Owned. (0034 664 157 031

feltf4
    Free Member

Please, didn’t you ever hear of a strange thing called “google”.
    I’m hirering bikes in Costa Teguise – I’m specialized in road bikes, but I also have a couple of mountain bikes (all my bikes are Felt) and they are definitively well mantained. So if you are not able to inform yourself before renting a bike you shoudn’t spread your desinformation all around.

Andyhilton
    Free Member

I’m heading over to Playa Blanca for a week in feb and am looking to hire a road bike for a day or two. Can anybody recommend anything from experience?

lightningbolt
    Free Member

For the best Roadbike Hire call Pro bike’ its a shop in La santa run by a guy Called steve and his Girlfriend maria. They deliver all round the island. They just need a days notice.
    http://www.probikelanzarote.com

catfishmtb
    Free Member

Ive just come back from Lanzarote and i had found a great hire shop in costa teguise called evolution bikes on the beach front at cc Las Cucharas, the guy in there really knows his mtb and took us out on some great trails, some of the riding there is real awesome and not what you would expect, i would recommend Lanzarote and this hire shop for anyone going there and i will defo be back!

picomundo
    Free Member

It seems to me that many people have had a bad experience hiring bikes in Lanzarote, but please don’t tar all the shops with the same brush. We used a new place in Puerto del Carmen, called Revolution who stock Specialized mountain and road bikes, my favourite brand! They are a friendly, knowledgeable couple and have very good, well maintained bikes and offered me good route advice around the south of the island. Give them a try, they’re on the road from Playa Grande beach to the Hibiscos hotel.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Lanzarote Mountain Biking’ is closed to new replies.