Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Lank Rigg Loop, Parkedtiger pay attention!
  • Andy_K

parkedtiger – Member
    Some nice Cumbrian weather you had there Andy

Quick hijack – with you being a ‘west coaster’, have you ever followed the bridleway from Tongue How heading around the back of Boat How, Lank Rigg (by Worm Gill), and ending at a spot called Iron Crag. Just curious as it looks like it might have potential (on paper anyway :-)):

Well, i went out and did it. My advice? don’t bother!
    Actually, it wasn’t quite as bad as that. The main sticking point being that the “bridalway” basically just doesn’t exist past the intake works, let alone in a nice straight line up the fell side! I ended up pushing and carrying up a couple of kilometers of fell with about 400m ascent. 😥

Other than that, the rest was stuff i had done before.
    Starting just past cold fell heading out into the wilds:

Intake works (No idea!)

Next came 45m to 1h of pushing and swearing. The stiff easterly headwind made most of the 1st gear grind pointless, it was faster and easier to push! The only things that got me to the top was the knowledge that the wind would be behind me once at the top, and jelly babies :p

Headwinds don’t photograph.

The track is nowhere near as good as it looks (and not the one on the map, that doesn’t exsist!), and i had to cut off left eventually to get to the unnamed top near iron crag.

Eventually picked up the doubletrack and footpath at the top.

From here i knew it was good riding all the way back, just as well, as i was ****ed! I descended along the ridge to Black pots, then picked up the forestry tracks and bridalways past the transmitter tower on Grike and back down to the Cold Fell road.

Heckbarley singletrack

Then just a wind assisted blast along the hot tar of the cold fell road back to the car.

Overall, a good workout! Time about 3 hours, with a long old push. So parkedtiger, still fancy it?

Report Card
    Effort – 7/10
    Technicality – 4/10
    Fun – 5/10

😉

Andy_K

*bump* Just in case he hasn’t seen it 🙂 (and it has nice pictures in)

parkedtiger
    Free Member

Cheers Andy – I think I might give it a miss then ! It’s always on those bleak moorland type rides that I find I’ve left my compass at home and get lost or chose not to wear my sealskin socks that day.

Some nice pictures though – glad you at least got the workout 😀

Andy_K

It’s a public service i tell ya!

Andy_K

Doublepost!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Lank Rigg Loop, Parkedtiger pay attention!’ is closed to new replies.