Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Language forums and resources (foreign content)
  • piemonster

Aside from what pops up on the first page of a Google search.

Anyone have any recommendations for general sources of information and resources for language learning.

Sadly the days of quitting my job and sodding off somewhere for 6 months* of immersion learning are far behind me. And I’m pretty sure the current trend of mental decay (which I largely blame on STW) will leave me at the IQ of a Turnip** within the next 3 years. So a bit if brain exercise will do me some good, and I always enjoyed a bit of Johnny Foreigner lingo.

Nordic Languages, starting with Norwegian for a basic founding. Then repeating with Swedish and Danish. Currently just playing around with Babbel.

*probably
    **currently at well kept allotment IQ

iolo
    Free Member

Rosetta stone courses are excellent.
    They however are not free and not on line based.

piemonster

And not available in Norwegian I believe.

That said, it’s in Swedish which would make the transition over to Norwegian much easier.

bob_summers

Out of interest, why Nordic languages?

piemonster

Out of interest, why Nordic languages?

To me it makes sense to pick a language for which the primary group of speakers are close at hand. And I’ve been down the French and Spanish routes before. So it’s either Nordic, German, or Italian.

And I don’t like hot places.

Plus you kind of get a bonus with the degree of mutual intelligibility amongst Norwegian/Swedish/Danish, to varying degrees at least.

bob_summers

For me the key think would be to get an intercambio. Depending where you live, that’d be harder for Norwegian as a. There’d likely be fewer local speakers and b. They tend to have English down pat already.

It’s all about real world practice. You’ll go further with more of this and less text book or audio course work. So without travelling you’d benefit most from intercambio and or Skype calls.

piemonster

I’d forgotten about intercambio Ta for that

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’m struggling to master Oz at the minute, G’Day there Shelia/Bruce/Sport

Check me some tinnies on the barbie

piemonster

I think that’s it for Oz isn’t it?

piemonster

Counts the number of Swedish friend’s, counts the nnumber of Norwegian friend’s. Considers swapping language.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

piemonster I’m thinking of branching out and learning WA and QLD too.

I remember Norwegian as being basically geordie german

nickie
    Free Member

I still use Google to translate what my Romanian, Italian friends say 🙂 I wouldn’t recommend anything but Google, always find it super useful.

globalti
    Free Member

A pal of mine has been using an app called Duolingo. Says it’s very good.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Language forums and resources (foreign content)’ is closed to new replies.