Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Langstrath- a reasonable way to get up to Sprinkling Tarn?
  • TomB

Thinking of a gander up to Sprinkling Tarn/Sty Head and down to Stockley Bridge. From memory it seems reasonable to ride up Langstrath then carry up the footpath at the end of the combe (Allencrags gill?)

Any thoughts? hopefully not a bog fest up past blackmoss pot. If this is not a goer, and alternatives (suppose could slog up grains gill)

TomB

Bump for any Lakes local lurkers who aren’t out on the tues night ride!

pennine
    Free Member

I took this on Sunday from Ore Gap after walking across Bowfell. No problem on the steep rockier parts but flat grassy hollows were holding water. So I guess the lower reaches maybe boggy. Sorry, best I can do until someone with better knowledge comes along

robsoctane
    Free Member

Blackmoss Pot! Oh I love Langstrath! Have you been to the ‘secret cave’?

I’ve never rode there but must have done all the crags 50 times over.

boxelder

Better to go up Stake Pass and then pick up the FP to Angle Tarn that traverses above Lining Crag – northe of Rossett Pike. Not done the FP, but no reason for it not to be rideable. BW from Angle Tarn to Styhead etc

boxelder

pick up the FP to Angle Tarn that traverses above Lining Crag – northe of Rossett Pike

Forget that – did it today. It’s a bog fest with liberally scattered large rocks – when you can find the path. Stake Pass has been surfaced so a much easier climb. Carried on to Angle, Sprinkiling and Styhead Tarns, then down to Seathwaite – fantastic weather and conditions.
    Shame that paths crap.

TomB

We had a reccy that way in the pouring rain on wednesday. For others heading up, I found the non-ROW farm track up the right side of the river (looking up) much more fun and all ridable compared with the bitty/techy BW on the left, up til Blackmoss Pot. Above that it’s all bog!

boxelder

non-ROW farm track up the right side of the river

The true left bank – always go that way – some nice little slick rock sections.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Staying on the right hand side of Langstrath beck is rideable until the footbridge at the end of the valley, I have only used the right hand side path from there to angle tarn,Initially it has short sections of rideable bits but overall its a long walk carry, i suppose it was a quiet way onto the main Bridleway. 😉

There is the odd boggy section but by far not as bad as the higher path from stakes summit to the tarn,(thats a better descent) but only after a dry spell.

There an alternative path to angle tarn on the opposite side of the valley,(stakes pass side) although it looked harder when we were there..hth

boxelder

not as bad as the higher path from stakes summit to the tarn,

That’s what I did. Bog to the kness at one point 😕

robsoctane
    Free Member

Genuine question: has no one done the secret cave??

boxelder

When you say ‘done’ – do you mean sleep in?
    It’s not a very well kept secret and not left in great condition now I’m told. Never stayed in it – you?

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Boxelder, FYI,Theres actually a better path running parallel to the cumbria way path,(from stakes) its much less boggy and follows the ridge line looking into the Langdales,it comes out at the top of Rossett ghyll.Not great for bikes but a good path to walk on. 😉

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Langstrath- a reasonable way to get up to Sprinkling Tarn?’ is closed to new replies.