Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Langdale Round – Stake pass and down Rossett Gill – anyone ridden it?
  • ks562
    Free Member

Anyone ridden the Langdale round? Pushing up Stakes Pass, into Rosthwaite and back over Rossett Gill? Just wondering how techy, how much hike-a-bike and rough idea of time?

Used to big days out in Torridon and Skye. Just wondering how it compares?

Thanks in advance.

postierich
    Free Member

Gavgas to the forum please!

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

Never done Stake Pass however have done the rest, assuming you are meaning the route up from Seathwaite to Sty Head and Esk Hause and back down Rossett Pike, then I have done all that.

Going up to Sty Head and Esk Hause will be probably 80% hike a bike and the descent down from Esk Hause to Angle Tarn is a bit poop, is mostly man made steps as the trail has been properly remade with those (you know what I mean? you get them all over the national parks more popular paths). Then down from Rossett Pike has a good section which is not rideable (I would also rate myself quite capable without sounding too big-headed) it was just a bit too technical and awkward and I was using a sort of DH bike (180mm travel), the bottom half was alright but nothing special, this was a couple years ago so maybe it has changed by now…?

If anything I would maybe recommend doing it the other way around? because I think the section from Esk Hause to Sty Head would be pretty good, however the bit down from Sty Head to Seathwaite is again that sort of surfaced cobbled type path.

boxelder

Better would probably be Rossett Gill to Angle Tarn, keep going to Styhead Tarn, descend to Borrowdale/Stonethwaite, then back over Stake. The Borrowdale side of Stake is recently resurfaced so rideable up, but dull as a descent. The footpath down into Langstrath from the top of Rossett is (as far as I know) crap as a ride.
    the extra bits from Angle Tarn to Styhead and down will probably be the highlight.
    Whatever you choose – TAKE THE FOOTPATH ON THE WEST SIDE OF LANGSTRATH BECK, NOT THE BW ON THE EAST SIDE

the bit down from Sty Head to Seathwaite is again that sort of surfaced cobbled type path

– true, but doable (mostly) on a hardtail

nickdavies

I’d go other way round, did it the other weekend and i’d say the push up Rosset Gill is is a good chunk unrideable for most. I think I rode all the descents going clockwise and there was a lot of pushing up I wouldn’t have ridden down if we’d gone anti clockwise.

Took about 8 hours all in with plenty of stopping, lunch, countless bike repairs etc. Strava:

http://www.strava.com/activities/188015057

thekettle
    Free Member

I’ve done this many times in both directions and would second the suggestions to reverse your loop to make a classic mountain route.
    Since it was pitched Rossett Gill isn’t a great descent. However carrying up it is rewarded by a cracking descent from Esk Hause to Styhead, and a rockier but good descent into Seathwaite. Returning over Stake pass into Langdale gives you a steep, techy and pumpy set of switchbacks to finish your arms off.
    4-6 hrs, with a solid hike from the bottom of Rossett Ghyll to Esk Hause (brief drop to Angle tarn in the middle) and less vicious push up Stake from Langstrath on the newly surfaced pass. Very little unrideable descent that way round too.

tomaso
    Free Member

There is a YouTube video of someone riding Rossett Gill. It is steep and the steps are chunky.

I’ve done it the other way up Rossetti Gill and over to Angle Tarn and down Sty and up Stake pass. Its a great loop.

ks562
    Free Member

Thanks for all the responses guys. You have definitely saved us riding it the “wrong” way then. Think our time will be similar to Nicks at 8 hours and since we’re lacking in lights (and the guys don’t seem to manage early starts :roll:) then this is one for another trip. Main thing is we know which way to go now!

boxelder

Why start in Borrowdale, up Stake, then pick your way along the footpath past Lining Crag to Angle tarn, then Styhead and down – 4-5 hours comfortably. The footpath will involve a bit of pushing (but not as much as climbing Rossett Gill. Pick a clear day though.

lowey

Another vote for Going up Rossett. I cant really imagine it would be very enjoyable as a descent other than to tick it off the list. You would need some pretty good trials skills as well as balls. It was certainly way beyond my meagre skills.

Personally I would take Grains Gill as a descent from Esk Hause rather than the BW from Styhead. But it is a FP and, If anyone ask’s, I didnt suggest that ok ?

boxelder

Personally I would take Grains Gill as a descent from Esk Hause

I wouldn’t – you miss the best section from Esk Hause to Styhead, it’s much steeper/pitched/rocky and on the brakes (I know some folk prefer this).

chris85
    Free Member

Top half of rossit is good but quite technical but a good gully section if your after a challenge…bottom half is a bit shite now and just a cobbled track to rattle you to bits..

boxelder

Late edit to last post – it‘s Grains that‘s steeper and more stop/start and on the brakes.

You wouldn’t want to be anywhere near there today – cold and heavy rain.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Langdale Round – Stake pass and down Rossett Gill – anyone ridden it?’ is closed to new replies.