Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)
  • Lane hogging anyone?
  • ricky1
    Free Member

This’s keeps popping up on the news,is it really a big deal,has anyone on here been copped for it or know someone who has been copped for it/had a fine for it?

Pook

Been copped?

chip
    Free Member

I hog the middle lane out of principle and years of owning a smiley transit with the acceleration and maneuverability of a canal boat.

It was suprisingly common for someone to fly down the outside cutting across my lane with about six inches to spare between them and me into the inside lane at 90 mph (I can only imagine they did this to make a point that maybe I was a bad driver ) only for them to have to brake really really hard narrowly avoid ploughing into the back of a lorry.

Cocks.

Drac

I hog the middle lane out of principle and years of owning a smiley transit with the acceleration and maneuverability of a canal boat.

Old habits die hard.

dannyh
    Free Member

It’s a typical ‘great sound bite, but shit in practice’ bit of ‘policy’.

There aren’t any coppers left on the roads to enforce it anyway, it will be nearly impossible to actually ‘do’ someone for it, and most motorways are so totally clogged up now that it is just three solid lanes doing ‘fifty five to stay alive’.

Nice in theory, totally impractical bollocks in reality. Like a lot of populist, throw away policies.

chip
    Free Member

Inside lane for lorries and old people.
    Middle lane for normal folk who want to be able to go Ahem the speed limit.

Outside lane for people who want to go 90+ And all the people who feel the need to do a 100+ get to ether tailgate the outside lane bullying there way through or weave in and out of which ever lane that gets them past one car at a time.

That is the natural order of the motorway.

crankboy
    Free Member

My mum is 86 has really slow reactions and is really not confident driving on motorways. I refuse to be annoyed by lane hogging it is just people who drive like my mum and so deserve the same respect ( and space.)

anagallis_arvensis

Your mum should drive then.

rene59
    Free Member

Your mum should drive then.

Shouldn’t?

nickc

I wish the lane-hoggers would just be a bit aware. I really don’t care in the rush hour, when all 3 lanes are rammed anyway, so mleh, who cares. Empty road? just drive in lane 1, how hard could it be?

crankboy
    Free Member

Rene59 I agree and do everything in my power to stop her . I am also glad the people are being prohibited from driving as badly on point of principal or ignorance.

ricky1
    Free Member

I’m wondering if anyone has been fined for it,pulled over by the police and charged,they talk like it’s up there with drink driving,I also drive a transit therefore also exempt (from all driving offences)

Rockhopper
    Free Member

It has the effect of bringing a three lane road down to one lane. Rather than one lane of lorries and two lanes of cars doing 70ish you get someone in the middle lane doing 60 and even if the inside lane is clear all the faster cars now have to use one lane (or risk undertaking).

chip
    Free Member

So If I am in the middle lane doing 75 say, how is that a problem to you .
    If you wish to go faster, use the outside lane to overtake, or would you rather I moved in to allow you to continue along the middle lane that was exactly what I was doing,

If I sat in the outside lane, I could see an issue. But I am not.

chip
    Free Member

On an open road I will take the inside, when there is a lorry every hundred yards or so I will sit in the middle, you are free to overtake using the outside , which is exactly what I do when I find some in front of me going slower than I wish to travel .

Drac

One of STW favourite subjects with the same old, “Why should it bother you that you had to cross 2 lanes to pass me because I can’t move one lane.”

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/is-it-me-or-is-lane-3-hogging-on-the-increase

jota180
    Free Member

If you wish to go faster, use the outside lane to overtake, or would you rather I moved in to allow you to continue along the middle lane that was exactly what I was doing,

The problem comes when other people want to overtake the guy who wants to overtake you as you’re effectively turning a perfectly good 3 lane road into a dual carriageway

Mind you, the state of some of the inside lanes don’t help

flippinheckler
    Free Member

To many shit drivers on the roads totally unworkable.

scubashark
    Free Member

I drive a lot for work and it does become a bind when you are doing what should by keeping left Except when overtaking and have to move from 1st lane to 3rd lane just to overtake. I once got stuck behind a middle lane hogger whilst towing a trailer, idiot in middle lane doing 45-50 I’m legally allowed to do 60 but can’t overtake as not allowed in outside lane.
    Also 2am deserted motorway why stay in middle lane as this is very dangerous.

takisawa2

Just back from 1k miles towing a caravan across France, (& around the south of England).
    Our driving standards are a lot better than some I saw in France, by a good way.

crazy-legs

I’m convinced that there are large sections of the M1 that have some sort of anti-car force field going on in the left hand lane.

Never seen so many people completely unable to use a simple motorway. Or indeed stick to a steady speed – I’ve been down there without needing to touch the cruise control for 40 minutes yet I can pass and be passed by the same car as he goes from 80 to 50 to 75 to 60 to 90 seemingly at random.

chip
    Free Member

But I am doing 75 , unless you are emergency services you have no business overtaking me.
    You are saying my bad driving is hindering yours.

The simple system I have perfected is to get in to which ever lane is travelling the closest to the speed I want to travel at, then I stay there untill it is no longer traveling at the speed I wish to be traveling at. At which point I move in or out to which ever lane is now traveling at what speed I wish to travel at.

It is a system that has served me well for 25 years now.

crankboy
    Free Member

Chip you appear to want to claim the moral high ground while bragging that you are incapable of following two simple driving rules . Drive in the left hand lane unless overtaking and do not exceed 70 mph .

allthepies
    Free Member

+1.

Lots of “I want to”, “I wish to”. Perhaps consider everyone else too 🙂

tron
    Free Member

It’s dead simple. If you’re not passing anyone, pull into the lane to your left.

mattrgee
    Free Member

70, 80, 90mph init?

jools182
    Free Member

Rockhopper +1

Use the motorway properly

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

So who’s safer? You, bumbling along, mid lane, in your transit,yet breaking the law at 75mph, or the Skoda Cocktavia , paying attention doing 85, and wanting to make way for the arse sniffing audi doing 95?

chip
    Free Member

But the inside lane is going slower than I want To go and I would happily travel at 70 as I did for three years after ending up with nine points from a motorcycle crash and could not risk a further three.

So for three years I religiously stuck to the speed limit at all times on all roads.
    And I found nothing infuriates a motorist more than someone traveling at the speed limit. 😀

sillyoldman

What tron said.

Worse in Scotland where we’re lucky if we get 2 lanes. Muppets sat in the outside lane, despite overtaking no-one, travelling at 60. Doesn’t help anyone.

sockpuppet

Well, doing that means you’re in the wrong for two reasons, the speeding and maintaining that lane after you’ve finished overtaking.

More in the spirit of your point though; fine, no-one should be going faster than you. And yes, if there are trucks every hundred metres, you’re in the correct lane. However…

What actually happens is often someone sitting there, apparently failing to pay any attention to the road around. Often hundreds of metres to the next vehicle in the inside lane, mostly doing the speed of whatever they happen to be sat behind. When that speed changes for what ever reason they blindly copy it, with out really noticing.

It’s the fact they’re not watching what happens around them, so don’t notice the situation around them, or the fact that *they do notice* but decide the rules of the road don’t apply to them and they can do as the see fit that really irks me.

Motorways would be safer and more free-flowing without the inattention or worse, selfishness displayed by middle lane hogs.

Drac

And I found nothing infuriates a motorist more than someone traveling at the speed limit.

Except lane hoggers.

chip
    Free Member

I would be in an out like a fiddlers elbow . You can , not me.
    My system works .

timidwheeler

And I found nothing infuriates a motorist more than someone traveling at the speed limit too selfish and lazy to move over.

chip
    Free Member

Yeah but they are speeders.

How many people are killed every year by lane hoggers, less than people speeding I would say.

allthepies
    Free Member

It’s not a binary thing, you are allowed to apply some common sense i.e. “I won’t pull in to the left lane now because I can see that I’ll catch a slow vehicle in that lane within the next minute and will have to pull out again.”

sockpuppet

[puzzles over whether chip is trolling or actually thinks he’s right]

decides not to care, and gets on with evening

[/puzzlement]

jambourgie
    Free Member

I can kind of see both sides of this. How about sitting in the middle lane and pulling into the left when someone comes up behind? Rather than in and out of the trucks every 15 seconds.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

And I found nothing infuriates a motorist more than someone traveling at the speed limit.

I hope this is joke, because if it’s not it’s absolute bollocks.

peterfile
    Free Member

Someone on here brought to my attention the “buzzing bee”. Passing a hogger on the right, move all the way back to the left, foot off accelerator until they’ve passed again…repeat process until they move over 🙂

Highly effective!

Does no one here just pass a hogger on the left if it’s clear, or does everyone do a 3 lane manoeuvre and back in again?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘Lane hogging anyone?’ is closed to new replies.