Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Land's End to John O'Groats. A nice route?
  • terrahawk
    Free Member

Anyone got a route they can recommend? No dual carraigeways, etc.
    Not necessarily bothered about a quick time, I’ve never seen the point of riding the whole country so fast you don’t see anything.

titusrider
    Free Member

Cyclist touring club bnb route

9 days was a good balance of speed and enjoyment

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Dave Barter did a CX off road and quiet lanes route last year.
    Can put you in touch with him if needed

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Chew
    Free Member

Jase, ask Dave Barter (DavidB on here)
    He’s been working on something, and test rode it a year ago

midlifecrashes

I’ve bookmarked DavidB’s link for when the time looks right for me to try it, though he may have tweaked it as it is a couple of years old.

http://phased.co.uk/the-greatest-lejog-route-ever/

MoreCashThanDash

Ask the CTC/Cycling UK – think their forum has a special “Lejog” section? Or maybe that is YACF….

terrahawk
    Free Member

thanks for the responses, all. Dave’s route looks brill.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

This route was posted on here,certainly different than the usual routes
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/the-isles-of-scilly-to-john-ogroats-on-a-remedy

bedmaker
    DrP

Dave’s route looks great…not that I’ve the time to do a whole LEJOG, but I often toy with doing sections of these epic routes – Land’s end to Gloucester (in laws – not that I love Gloucester…) for example.. Bookmarked!

DrP

Andy_K

Between Brum and JOG I kept to the east of the pennines and Scotland, it was very nice, and you don’t see any other folk so it feels a bit more off the beaten track.

scotroutes

If you kept to the East of Scotland would you not need a boat? 😉

Quite a few folk are now heading across to Arran, Kintyre and up the West coast, even including some Hebridean Isles on their way.

jamiep
    Free Member

Came on here to suggest asking Dave, …but I’ll just slink off

scotroutes

Just a word to the wise; if you’re going to be needing accommodation anywhere on the North Coast 500 route then start booking soon. Some of the providers are already full on certain dates.

ransos
    Free Member

+1 for the CTC “YHA” route. The route through Cornwall in particular is a cracker.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Quite a few folk are now heading across to Arran, Kintyre and up the West coast, even including some Hebridean Isles on their way.

My partner for Relentless this year did a LEJOG including some island hopping in 2015. Bit of a long route, but definitely scenic.
    http://nefifemtb.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/outer-fife-penzance-to-thurso-via-lands.html

terrahawk
    Free Member

All great stuff. Thanks everyone.
    I’m sort of thinking along the lines of a spring ride, probably bikepacking and aiming for a week, maybe less. (actually definitely less).

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i live pretty much on the route at the start and see people all summer starting/finishing. i know its more direct but i cannot understand why anyone would want to ride the a30 once you get to hayle and then out the county that way as its the most foul road imaginable for cycling.

even the final a30 leg from penzance to lands end i don’t cycle myself, terrible road on a bike (damn good fun on a motorbike though).

Edric64
    Free Member

People probably ride the A30 to leave Cornwall as quickly as possible.As a mate put it Cornwall is like a bad theme park where the owner hates you!

DavidB
    Free Member

Thanks for linking to my epic route which I will publish in book form one day when I can bloody well get my act together

Last year I rode a variant designed for a CX bike. This is beyond epic but bad weather forced us off route as we got further north.

Linky

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

This statement

terrahawk – Member
    Anyone got a route they can recommend? No dual carraigeways, etc.
    Not necessarily bothered about a quick time, I’ve never seen the point of riding the whole country so fast you don’t see anything.

POSTED 1 DAY AGO # REPORT-POST

And this statement

All great stuff. Thanks everyone.
    I’m sort of thinking along the lines of a spring ride, probably bikepacking and aiming for a week, maybe less. (actually definitely less).

Are not compatible . I would say that you need 2 weeks to do it without feeling like you are rushing . I did it this year in 9 days and felt like I spent half of my time chewing the stem to clock up the miles that were needed .

scotroutes

Agreed

MoreCashThanDash

Less than a week IS riding slowly for the OP! Do you not watch the telly?

pedlad

@ramseyneil – quite a funny post if you know the OPs “track record” … but I’m guessing you didn’t.

Terrahawk – the site is a bit dated now but our route studiously avoiided dual track with just a few miles of main A rd
    Not the shortest letojog

Oh and we took two weeks…to enjoy the scenery and pubs 😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

ramseyneil – quite a funny post if you know the OPs “track record” … but I’m guessing you didn’t.

Aye he holds a number of records including world records [ or fastest over certain routes as well as largest distance covered in a certain time frame]IIRC

he might just be a wee bit faster than the average STW

midlifecrashes

There’s a writeup of a week long LEJOG in this month’s Cycling Plus, four riders and two non riders supporting in a camper van. Day one was nearly 200 miles to Burnham on Sea. Two riders finished, one of them in bits, two broke down on the way, doesn’t sound like a nice way to see the country.

scotroutes

That’s not in doubt but he’s still not going to see much on the way.

Ben_H

I did JOGLE in 2001 and again in 2009, with different companions. The first time was on one of the original F-series Cannondales with a Lefty and fat slicks; the second was on a Bad Boy.

We had a rough idea of routes both times, but essentially made it up as we went along. Your approach may obviously vary, although I’d suggest that there aren’t that many options in some parts – e.g. northern Scotland. Sustrans routes were far better developed by the second time and we used them in parts, although they were slower and sometimes roughly surfaced.

It took 10 days on both occasions: staying in B&Bs, carrying our own luggage and obviously without a massively speedy mindset. If we wanted to stop, detour or see a sight, we did. We watched bad movies in local cinemas, took in some fairly average museums and had a top time.

I’ve done more touring since on more suitable bikes, but with a similar mentality. Britain is a varied and lovely island: be sure to take the time to enjoy it!

Andy_K

scotroutes – Member
    If you kept to the East of Scotland would you not need a boat?

Indeed. I belive it was called the Nigg ferry 😉

joat

I’ve done part of JOGLE. St Ives to Lands End to be precise, it was a lovely ride whilst on holiday. I took a picture of my bike in front of the sign and was congratulated on my achievement and asked how long it had taken me, “about an hour or so” wasn’t the expected response.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

The road from st Ives to lands end, along the coast, is stunning, its a stretch I ride pretty much every time I ride as its the end of my road. This time of year I generally see less than a half dozen cars entire ride.

Not bad really for a terrible theme park.

5thElefant
    Free Member

The Lands End hotel is remarkably nice. And cheap.

terrahawk
    Free Member

It won’t be a ‘chew the stem’ ride, nor will I have 2 weeks to complete it.
    I’ll see plenty.
    Admittedly some of it will be in the dark, like. But anyway.

I made it across France in 4 days a few months back. I reckon I saw too much on that trip…
    {shudder}

Junkyard
    Free Member

i doubt he can ride fast enough that it is a blur 😉

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Land's End to John O'Groats. A nice route?’ is closed to new replies.