Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Lands End to JOE on a 29er MTB…
  • TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Is this a good idea?

Trying to cut down on the number of bikes I own / need to buy and was thinking that a 29er mtb might just be able to double up as a marathon XC and a tourer (be suitable for riding the length of the country on road)

Any opinions or reccomendations for 29ers?

Thanks.

sas
    Free Member

I’ve used my MTB for touring in Wales before since it’s my only bike. It’s nice to be able to follow some of the off-road Sustrans trails without worrying whether you might break something.

I know nothing about 29ers but my friend did JOGLE on a cheap Halfords special with a buckled wheel in 2 weeks, so if that’s your main aim then it shouldn’t matter what bike you have :).

tree-magnet
    Free Member

No, it’ll catch fire and you’ll die.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    _tom_
    Free Member

A friend of mine has also done LEJOG on a “crap” bike – Decathlon rockrider with slick tyres on. He said it was good enough but wouldn’t want to do it again now he has a proper road bike.

maccruiskeen

an 29er will be just as good for touring as any other hardtail MTB – absolutely fine. Stick a set of Schwalbe Big Apples on….. bingo – its a touring bike.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Maybe I should just buy a tourer instead then!

maccruiskeen

Maybe I should just buy a tourer instead then!

It’ll be raining whatever you ride, the worst that can happen is you’ll smoulder

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Okay, so apart from a bit of smouldering, I’ll be fine.

So now on to the important question… which bit of niche should I buy?

pedalhead
    Free Member

I put some road tyres on my Pegasus & did 170 road miles in two easy days. Pretty much as quick as my road bike and more comfortable. Lockout on my Lefty and aero bars helped.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Lands End to JOE on a 29er MTB…’ is closed to new replies.