Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • landlords/end of lease
  • vanilla83
    Free Member

3 weeks ago, moved out of rented flat on date agreed with landlord. Phoned them the day before to arrange collection/dropping off of keys but it went through to voice mail. Left voice mail with two telephone numbers (work and mobile). Tried calling a few times in the first week but always went through to voice mail.

Heard nothing at all from them and then been working away until today so phoned again and they've got back from holiday but didn't bother to phone.

The wife of said landlord said it was a massive inconvience getting new keys cut and we'd have to see about our deposit!

Our reasoning behind not posting keys through their letter box was that they're pretty useless and would prob lose them or claim we hadn't done so. Plus it didn't seem very safe.

Am going round later to give the key back face to face and discuss the deposit return (note. the flat was spotless when we left).

Is there anything I should be aware of? Was my reasoning correct about not posting them through a letter box or is this standard practice?

(we had also been there over 4 years, only missed one payment due to bank changes and had fixed a lot of things in the flat that should have been done by them)

Any advice by landlords and/or people in similar situations gratefully received.

tails
    Free Member

landlords are c**ts sorry if you are one but its the truth (okay there are some good ones but you can't figure them out beforehand) so I would have held back last payment unless they were a good landlord then you know any deposit will be returned or you'll agree on damage caused. Wear and tear is not damage IMO.

What can you do well you sound as though your acting correctly, if its through an agency speak with them also.

mt
    Free Member

Take a witness, they will have one and he'll be a big guy. Have proof that the flat is in good order. Be nice.
    Spot on with the cancel the last payment advice. Been there three times learned hard way on first one. Funny how the nice guy you rent from becomes a git when it's money back time. Good luck.

mrmo
    Free Member

bend over and be prepared to be shafted.

tails
    Free Member

Funny how the nice guy you rent from becomes a git when it's money back time.

not always the case mu uni landlord was alright, he did once take my mates record collection (read thousands of ££££ of records) but that was because said flatmate was 2 months late with rent for the second time. With the rest of us he new we would pay up even though late sometimes, because of this we were honest with the things we broke and he was honest with the amount he deducted. but yeah most are c**ts.

Trimix
    Free Member

Funny how the nice tennant becomes a git when they run out of money 🙂

It works both ways.

vanilla83
    Free Member

Thanks. The last payment was made by cheque which obviously has been cashed so there's no way of cancelling that.

Is there any legal protection? (CAB?) that can be used if he does become a c***?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Never pay the last months rent they cant start eviction proceedings till 14 days after the late payment and you will have left before it gets to court.
    This is the only way I ever found to get my deposit back.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘landlords/end of lease’ is closed to new replies.