Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Landlord advice.
  • donsimon
    Free Member

I rent a house with a fairly large garden and under the (verbal) agreement I must maintain the garden. To maintain the garden involves cutting the grass, some flower beds and fruit trees. The tools I have been left to do the job are:
    1 pair of pruning shears

1 pair of hedging shears (for cutting the grass!!)

1 short handled hoe

Does the landlord have a responsibility to provide the correct tools for the job?
    I have asked her to provide a petrol strimmer which she has refused, point blank!
    I have said that I am not going to look after the garden until I get the correct tools. Time is one issue, bad back is another.

MTFU or force the issue?

IanMunro
    Free Member

I wouldn't have thought so.
    I mean they don't have to provide a vacuum cleaner, washing up liquid and dish cloths.
    P.S I also rent, never even crossed my mind that the supply of gardening equipment was any other than my responsibility.

yunki
    Free Member

and it's a verbal agreement so not worth the paper it's written on..

iDave
    Free Member

i had the same situation, they wouldn't provide a lawnmower, i wanted lawn rather than meadow, so i bought nasty electric one off ebay and will return it hence when I leave

donsimon
    Free Member

Thanks Ian, but I think there is a bit of a difference between cleaning the house and maintaining the garden. Would I be expected to fix the guttering or have the tools for repointing the brickwork.

Thanks yunki, we've got a social coming up, are you available for the entertainment? 500 people, hour and a half, stand up comedy sort of thing!! 😉

donsimon
    Free Member

iDave – Member

i had the same situation, they wouldn't provide a lawnmower, i wanted lawn rather than meadow, so i bought nasty electric one off ebay and will return it hence when I leave

That's what I was thinking or even buying the petrol one and selling it on, but a disposable plastic one (25€ gotta be quality) should do the job.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Thanks Ian, but I think there is a bit of a difference between cleaning the house and maintaining the garden

True, I spend far more time gardening than cleaning 🙂

Would I be expected to fix the guttering or have the tools for repointing the brickwork.

No, obviously that's structural.
    You should also consider that the landlord may well take a large lump of your deposit to return the garden to a suitable condition, if you choose to neglect it.

Have said that, if it's fully furnished accommodation you're renting, then it might be a reasonable expectation.

HTTP404
    Free Member

http://www.tenancyagreementservice.co.uk/repairing-obligations.htm

"A tenant may be responsible for maintaining the garden, if this is stated in the tenancy agreement. However, if it is not mentioned in the agreement then it would not be the tenant’s responsibility."

but then again its always better to keep on the good side of the landlord.

donsimon
    Free Member

Fair enough.

MrNutt
    Free Member

fire is your friend!

donsimon
    Free Member

MrNutt – Member

fire is your friend!
    Er, no it's not. Several weeks without rain means the whole area is a tinder box.

yunki
    Free Member

A tenant may be responsible for maintaining the garden, if this is stated in the tenancy agreement. However, if it is not mentioned in the agreement then it would not be the tenant’s responsibility

was the point that I was trying to make…

however.. for minimum wage and two gallons of rough cider I will perform a naked rendition of 'I touch myself' – Blondie.. accompanied by my mate on the naked spoons..
    email in profile if you're still interested

donsimon
    Free Member

That might be a little OTT for the church of St Mary's summer meeting, but I'll propose it! 😯
    Minimum wage and one gallon of cider.

Waderider
    Free Member

Any place I rented (always on a Scottish law Short Assured Tenancy) provided the garden equipment.

sweepy
    Free Member

Yunki, I dont think that was Blondie, It was the Divynils or something IIRC

Argos do crappy petrol lawnmowers for cheap, but dont get a cheap strimmer- use it for 20mins and you lose all feeling in your hands cos of the vibration

yunki
    Free Member

I dont think that was Blondie, It was the Divynils or something IIRC

me and mrs yunki have been sat trying to work out who did the various covers and who was responsible for the original..

sweepy
    Free Member

The various covers! christ I thought it was bad enough once

yunki
    Free Member

I would think either the industrial metal version or Rolf Harris' version are probably worth furthur investigation..

according to wiki.. Blondie's version is an online myth!

donsimon
    Free Member

Landylady has just paid a surprise visit (illegal as she needs to give at least 24hrs notice) and produced an electric strimmer and other tools from the garage. Why the f*** don't people provide the tools to do the job in the first place? why do people want to provoke problems where they don't exist or wouldn't exist with a bit of forethought?
    she then pi55ed around for nearly an hour and I had to ask her to leave 4 times!!!

how did the Grand Prix start? I missed it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Landlord advice.’ is closed to new replies.