Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Landlines
  • bubs

Is a landline actually needed in this day and age? We only use it about 4 times a month but appear to be paying huge amounts for it as part of our package. Is there any reason not to ditch it?

garage-dweller

Only that i think it’s often a condition of supply or requirement of a broadband contract/setup (or was last time i could be arsed to check).

tomhoward

Previously only had one to facilitate broadband. Switched to virgin now so don’t need one, and it’s cheaper not to have one.

robbo1234biking

Strangely virgin were £1 a month cheaper for the same broadband service if we took a land line with them too the only person who ever rings on it is the father in law.

grtdkad

Yeah just discussing here too. Our monthly bill for landline and broadband has increased from about £35 to £55 over the last year.

C####

hypnonewt
    Free Member

We only keep ours because it is cheaper for my partner to phone family abroad on it.

Cougar

It’s a necessity for broadband unless you’re with Virgin.

The voice side of mine packed in about six months ago (line’s live but no dial tone), I haven’t yet been arsed to report it. I only ever got three phone calls: people who have been informed that I’ve recently been involved in an accident that wasn’t my fault; important messages about my PPI; and my mother.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

My virgin package is cheaper with a landline than without.

BigJohn

I just had “Martin” from Virgin Media call me to say he could save me money. He first asked me to give me some details. I always refuse to give any information to anonymous callers so I asked why he needed it when he already knew who I was.

“Data Protection” he said.

“I’m protecting my data by not giving it to you. Just like Virgin Media guidelines state” I replie…

The line was dead.

fooman

Unlimited 4g data runs about £25 a month now I’m considering ditching landline for this

jekkyl

of course you need a landline, how else will your mother and mother in law ever speak to you again?

bubs

😆

shermer75
    Free Member

Think of what you could get for all that copper

nickdavies

Vodafone don’t charge for landline, price looks good. There is a caveat, it’s Vodafone….

I tried virgin this time round, they messed me about for 4 weeks then I gave up and went back to bt, who just did me a deal for the same as virgin.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

There’s a pre-paid Three 24GB data sim sold at Amazon for 40 squids, that can has 24 months expiry.

It is getting close to be worth ditching landline phone and broadband altogether, depending upon your usage. We were lucky to get a two year deal with BT, £14 (now ~£16)pcm for Infinity2 unlimited and ~£16pcm for landline by paying for a year up front.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I seem to remember it was cheaper with than without on virgin – 6 months we’ve lived here, it’s never rang or been used.

Ironically in the business world instead of having a landline to have internet, we’re putting in a new internet line to run the phones (VOIP).

nealglover
    Free Member

There’s a pre-paid Three 24GB data sim sold at Amazon for 40 squids, that can has 24 months expiry.

That would last me around 4 hours streaming UHD TV.

rob2
    Free Member

I have no idea what my landline number is and I dont think I’ve made a call on a landline from home for about 10 years.

We have one for broadband but that’s it. Probably going to get brain cancer from mobile use in 10 years rather than using a landline :-/

rossburton
    Free Member

Some ISPs – such as Andrews and Arnolds – can provide a landline for you and restrict it to data only for less money. Considering the only times our phone rings the first words are “can I speak to the home owner”, I’m about to switch.

funkmasterp

Our toddler broke our land-line phone and I don’t even know when it happened. I only realised when I found him attacking the handset with a dinosaur. Only downside of it not working is that I’ll miss out on all the money from my PPI and accident claims.

Is it just Vodafone and Virgin that offer the no land-line contracts? Might have to look in to it.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Landlines’ is closed to new replies.