Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • landline phone line bust
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

My landline suddenly started ringing continually so I had to unplug it.

EE say their test says the problem is not theirs. Ive not moved anything at all, I can’t see why this would be. I don’t have a spare phone to try but I guess I should borrow one. Inside the wee box all the wires look happy.

Any ideas?

dobo
    Free Member

I’m curious what happens when you answer it? anyone there? lol

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve called the Police several times about the silent calls…

bigyinn
    Free Member

Sounds like you’ve got a short.
    Take the front panel off the master socket, there should be what looks like another phone socket. This plugs directly into the line, bypassing any extension sockets. If it still constantly rings then its likely to be the line.
    Oh and try a different phone, just incase its your phone.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’ve just been calling to hear your voice Al. It’s lovely.

I’ll stop if it’s creeping you out though. 🙁

cynic-al
    Free Member

The “master” socket has no such extra socket. I’ll try another phone.

project
    Free Member

its under the cover remove 2 screws.

also try ringing your phone from another phone,

try preesing all the buttons and the reciever cradle, sometimes they stick.

spooky_b329

It is unlikely, but could be mains voltage on the line. The phone line is normally -48v DC, but when ringing its 110v AC. Be careful 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

project – Member
    its under the cover remove 2 screws.

No it’s not!

project
    Free Member

you havent had the upgraded box fitted then,

cynic-al
    Free Member

I know!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Pick up the phone Al 🙁

cynic-al
    Free Member

So if I just unscrew any wires going to any extension it should work OK?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Do people still use landlines?
    After the charger went in the old phone we stopped using it at all (as we never actually used it anyway) and never replaced it. Mobiles are much easier

cynic-al
    Free Member

I do, shit call quality on mobiles, and I’ve paid for it.

scotroutes

The wires may not be screwed in at all (difficult to say without seeing inside the box) and may need to be cut. Remember that there is a current involved so try do it one at a time and not to provide a route to earth as you do it. You might need a punchdown tool to reconnect them too.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

fair enough, must be near the end of their lifespan though.
    On your actual issue I’d assume the problem is you are speaking to the monkey not the organ grinder. Is the line still BT with an EE bill? You would be waiting for BT to fix a problem for their competitor.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I called EE, they tested the line, or at least pretended to.

cynic-al
    Free Member

So I cut all outgoing wires.

I checked the wiring.

I opened the box further up the line, only 2 connections, they look ok.

I guess I can try a new box in case the pcb or a comoonent is gone?

cynic-al
    Free Member

*bump*

twicewithchips
    Free Member

I think you might be able to get a new socket at an electrical supplier (or even screwfix/B&Q come to that). Wire it in as described here and see what happens?

ring ring

There was a site somewhere that tells you what voltage things should be, but I can’t find it now. Trial and error might not be the best bet – as per spooky_b239’s comments.

Oh, and get the proper tool for putting the wire’s in, even just a cheap plastic one will do.

cynic-al
    Free Member

So I tried a new master socket, wired as before (which worked before the issue), still the same.

Time to get a man in?

RustyMac

If all you have is the wires coming in to the master socket and that to a single phone and the problem persists it sounds like you need an engineer to look at issues in the line to the property or the cabinet in the street.

This is presuming you have tried with different phones connected to make sure it is not a problem with a short in the telephone it’s self.

DezB
    Free Member

Been happening for a month!!?? 😯

MrOvershoot

Just be aware

“If you replace a master socket you should be aware that you are in breach of your licence to use the phone service and your service provider may charge if they have to come to rectify a fault caused by your efforts (it is rare for them so to do unless you have been really ham fisted).”

cynic-al
    Free Member

Well after all that I got them to retest one last time and they found and fixed a fault 😡

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘landline phone line bust’ is closed to new replies.