Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Landline-free life?
  • marvinpines
    Free Member

Currently pondering whether to ditch the puny 3.98Mbps-bearing copper wire and converting to a fibre-optic only service from those lovely people at Virgin (monopoly holder round these parts). The only calls we receive are about non-existent PPI claims, fantastic foreign holidays we’ve won and the occasional utility switch (despite being TPS registered).

Someone out there must have done the same thing; any lessons, tips or other advice before I press “Go”?

TIA!

treaclesponge
    Free Member

We only have a landline for broadband purposes. Get loads of free mobile minutes so no need. Still have the number to write on forms and things, anything really important I just use my work number anyway!

nickjb
    Free Member

We only have for the wife to talk to her family. I lived without a land line for years. Mobile minutes were more than enough. I don’t think I’ve ever written our land line number on a form. I always use my mobile number or make one up, I certainly couldn’t tell you the number without looking it up on my mobile.

footflaps

I’ve not had a phone line for years, just get BB from Virgin. I think there may be a free phone line bundled with it, but there’s never been a phone connected (binned them all years ago).

deviant
    Free Member

No landline here either, i have fibre optic broadband from Virgin and have an unlimited everything mobile plan from Three.

tomhoward

We I only have a landline for broadband purposes. Get loads of free mobile minutes so no need. Still have the number to write on forms and things, anything really important I just use my work number anyway!

Exactly this.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Only ever use the mobile for calls. Only thing plugged into the home phone is the sky box (ridiculous that it needs this!)

dooosuk
    Free Member

Only ever use the mobile for calls. Only thing plugged into the home phone is the sky box (ridiculous that it needs this!)

The Sky box doesn’t need it…unless you want to use Pay Per View iirc.

I’ve never had a phone line attached to my Sky HD box.

Cletus

If you want to keep your landline number but get rid of the line itself you could transfer it to a SIP service such as Sipgate.

You can either use a softphone such as X-Lite or buy a cheap SIP phone or adapter from Ebay.

Inbound calls to this service are free and include a voicemail facility. You can notified of voicemails by email.

andysredmini
    Free Member

You may be better off having a land line from virgin. We didn’t want one but the best/only packages they offered included the TV, phone and broadband. It worked out at the time quite a bit cheaper to have the package with all 3 rather than having just the TV and broadband.
    We have never plugged a phone into the line though.

cranberry
    Free Member

Personally, I can’t see the point of having a phone that is only usable in one location and a mobile that can be used anywhere in the world, so I’ve not had a phone plugged into the wall for the best part of 15 years.

FG
    Free Member

I only have a mobile.

pictonroad

Yep, would cost us an extra £3 a month from Virgin to NOT have the landline.

Plugged the phone in once, 3 marketing calls, unplugged it again. Not had one for years now.

DezB
    Free Member

The “deals” offered by Sky, Virgin etc. are crap once you notice the tiny text which says “Line Rental £15 per month”
    So I just use my mobile now. Luckily its a work mobile so I pay for no calls 🙂

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Didn’t have one for years, then got one while I didn’t have a mobile for a few weeks. Still got one but could easily do without it- no idea what the number is and I often don’t bother answering it as it seems to be 95% phone spam.

skids
    Free Member

You can either use Virgin or any of the other ISP’s and have a landline

chvck
    Free Member

Yup we have the landline solely for broadband, no phone and don’t even know the number anyway. Really wish I could get rid of it as we have to pay line rental on it too.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Depends on who you call and who calls you. I don’t even know where my flaming mobile is and why would I pay to use it when landline calls cost me nothing as they were part of my BB package. Anyone daft enough to give me a mobile number only doesn’t get called. That costs money. It all depends on how your life runs.

beckykirk43
    Free Member

Didn’t have a landline while at uni, the only time I wished I did was when ringing the bank once ‘cos that cost a lot more on my mobile! (Although less more than paying for the landline overall!)

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Voice seems like a massive waste of bandwidth if you’re on copper. I guess some people would say keep it for emergency calls – but then why not keep a battery charger for your mobile instead.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

i have been thinking of getting rid of my toploader washing machine and mangle 😆

seriously, a landline when you have the option of fibre-optic broadband is archaic in my opinion. get rid.

for the occasions when you need to phone a company only offering a 0800 number use http://www.saynoto0870.com/

for the price of your line rental alone you should get 10meg broadband only from virgin, i do. be aware that their customer service department will speak to you as though you have an iq of 40 though

technicallyinept
    Free Member

for the occasions when you need to phone a company only offering a 0800 number use http://www.saynoto0870.com/

I can never find alternatives for number I need to ring – like this doctor’s surgery for example – 0844 387 9007

for the price of your line rental alone you should get 10meg broadband only from virgin

Really? I must be looking on a different Virgin website (on which BB cost either £14.50 plus £14.99 phone line rental or £22.50 on its own)

labsey
    Free Member

LL for broadband and Sky Anytime only. Have a number but dunno what it is. Have mobiles for calls.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Landline-free life?’ is closed to new replies.