• This topic has 81 replies, 42 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by mt.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)
  • Lance to ride Tour de Ben Nevis?
  • lazybike
    Free Member

lazybike are you sure you’d be riding against a clean competitor?

I did say in the spirit of reconcilliation, that means I trust him to ride clean….

Of course in a race, I aint going to be riding “with” him 😉

fasthaggis

I must work through my forgiveness issues.

I would still egg him 🙂

Northwind

He wouldn’t be the only cheat 😉 They let one organise events for them never mind race in them. But maybe drugs cheating is worse than just cheating cheating, who knows.

hora
    Free Member

If I was in with a shout of winning a race and I saw Lance at the start line I’d be seriously annoyed.

Hes got a point to prove to the world. Must keep winning therefore you’d suspect ANY sort of strong performance from him is growth-hormone etc etc enhanced.

Reconciliation? I think we need to stop the cheats once and for all not show you can be rehabilitated and re compete.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Reconciliation? I think we need to stop the cheats once and for all not show you can be rehabilitated and re compete.

Is sport an issue aside from the rest of life or do you think the same principle should apply to all crimes and indiscretions?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I’ll tell you what though, the schtick’ll really hit the fan if he wins! 😆 😆 😆

edlong
    Free Member

If I was competing in an event and they let him in, I’d walk out.

And I suspect you’d be far from the only one, which the organisers will want to weigh up when deciding.

Is anyone close enough to the organisers to have a feel for whether this is likely to be for real, or a hoax designed (successfully) to generate some publicity for the event?

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

I think that people are confusing reconciliation/ rehabilitation with a well choreographed and organised public exhibition of hand-wringing carefully calibrated to manoevre him back into competetive sport .I don’t see any genuine remorse or regret, apart from getting caught out -there is rumoured to be a film in the making ” cycle of lies ” so he is actively profiteering from his wrong-doing .put the one-bollocked bastard in court and make him pay compensation to the cancer charity he has shat on.

highlandman
    Free Member

He’ll need a thick skin if he turns up at this one, as he may get a bit of a flea in his ear from some participants. The reputation of us Scots for not suffering fools gladly must surely have made its way into his PR team’s mind, so he’ll know what to expect.
    Personally, I think it would be a good thing for both him and the event, it would be good to see one or two of our best riders take him on fair and square. Maybe we’ll get lucky and the combination of weather and terrain may kick his butt.
    He has to start his return to ‘sport’ in some form of rehab; like for most of us, riding is a way of life for this man. He may prove to be the perfect gentleman and do positive things from now on; after all, this man has also put a lot back into the sport over the years, think of those ‘ride with Lance’ events that he has done here in the past. The man is not all bad.

Speshpaul

“charity he has shat on”

What?

explain? how has he shat on Livestrong?

he started it, raised millons, there is debate on how the money has been spent-ok. Now he has stood down.

i don’t think livestrong is about to fold because he has been found out.

BoardinBob

ormondroyd – Member

Why walk when you could ride out on your high horse?

flippinheckler
    Free Member

[/quote]BoardinBob – Member
    ormondroyd – Member
    Why walk when you could ride out on your high horse?

Bit pointless taking your bike if your going to walk.

I might go along just on the off chance of meeting him, I would visit a few charity shops on the way up to pick up a stock of his books for him to sign. 😆

Junkyard
    Free Member

I think some people are so needing revenge that they are no better than the cheating LA tbh – remember his atacks on those who spoke aout about him and how OTT they were

He may “deserve” it more but its still OTT.

he cheated and lied,. hardly the first fraudster we will ever encounter now is he.

edlong
    Free Member

I wonder how people from on here would react if iDave turned up?

flippinheckler
    Free Member

I wonder how people from on here would react if iDave turned up?

They may loose their appetites!

Northwind

glasgowdan – Member

Letting him compete would make a mockery of the event and detract the attention from those genuine people who have entered and want to race.

It’s a No Fuss event, 4/5ths of the entrants don’t want to race.

andyrm
    Free Member

I’d say yes feel free to come and ride.

The people charged with dishing out punishment for his violations have done that and by their ruling he’s free to ride this event. The man should be punished to the extent of the rules of his sport and the law of the land beyond that he should be free to live his life like anyone else, and that includes riding his bike.

^^ Agreed.

He’s lost titles, lost sponsorship income, faced global humiliation and faces a lifetime ban from elite level sport. That in my book is more than enough punishment.

I think there is something very unhealthy about people (who haven’t lost out in races to him or whatever) seeming to take delight in watching a man’s life in tatters.

BoardinBob

I think there is something very unhealthy about people (who haven’t lost out in races to him or whatever) seeming to take delight in watching a man’s life in tatters.

It’s called jumping on the bandwagon

OmarLittle
    Free Member

He has acted like a knob over the years – but frankly the same can be said for half the guys i ride with (some of whom are not only knobs but are also known to cheat on strava – something which directly impacts on me whereas cheating to win the Tour de France doesn’t 😀 ) and i still put up with them because the positives of riding a bike with those i do enjoy the company of outweigh the negatives of having to put up with some guys that I dont.

Would people really pull out of this event if Armstrong was to enter? If you dont like the guy fair enough but it would be a bit crazy if you would let something like that spoil your enjoyment. If nothing else surely it will be a good story to tell.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

It’s called jumping on the bandwagon

LA is used to that as he does live in Cowboy Country and has probably circled his wagons by now with all the hostile natives.

andyrm
    Free Member

He has acted like a knob over the years – but frankly the same can be said for half the guys i ride with (some of whom are not only knobs but are also known to cheat on strava – something which directly impacts on me whereas cheating to win the Tour de France doesn’t ) and i still put up with them because the positives of riding a bike with those i do enjoy the company of outweigh the negatives of having to put up with some guys that I dont.

Would people really pull out of this event if Armstrong was to enter? If you dont like the guy fair enough but it would be a bit crazy if you would let something like that spoil your enjoyment. If nothing else surely it will be a good story to tell.

Agreed.

mt
    Free Member

I still believe, let Lance ride! Hora you know you still love him really.

aracer
    Free Member

I think some people are so needing revenge that they are no better than the cheating LA tbh – remember his atacks on those who spoke aout about him and how OTT they were

So suggesting LA shouldn’t be allowed to ride TdBN is directly equivalent to calling Emma O’Reilly a whore? I’m also not sure why suggesting the ban should extend to all athletic competitions is seeking revenge.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

Ok then how about the fact that cycling may be excluded from the next Olympics as it can no longer be guarenteed to be clean, whether this is fair or not [ and he is clearly not the only one] ,what rehabilitaion has he done to make good the irreperable harm he has caused the reputation of cycling

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve ridden “against” Carlos Sastre in a Gran Fondo 2 years ago, now the guys retired, but jeeze even for a bloke that rode “for fun” in the demise of Fuji, holy cow he was fit as..

I suspect Lance is stil waaaaaayyyyy fitter than most/if not all on this forumz. He’d probably tow you in his wake.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Ok then how about the fact that cycling may be excluded from the next Olympics as it can no longer be guarenteed to be clean

It wont be.

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Take some EPO , have a blood transfusion and have a little snigger to yourself on the start line!!!!

Junkyard
    Free Member

So suggesting LA shouldn’t be allowed to ride TdBN is directly equivalent to calling Emma O’Reilly a whore?

Of course not but that does not mean no response is OTT and two wrongs dont make a right
    As I said I believe in rehabitiation [ as an aside she has forgiven him] and some dont. He clearly merits some punishment and IMHO a harsh one as well. As I said i would go harsh and incentivise him to talk by reducing the length.

I’m also not sure why suggesting the ban should extend to all athletic competitions is seeking revenge[

Genuine question – has anyone else had a lifetime ban from all sports?
    It just seems harsh to me.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

I would love to know (if its true) what Lance said in his email assuming it is the Lance Armstrong or not some other random bloke called Lance.

Whats Lance doing is he sat at home underneath his meaningless yellow jersey’s trawling the internet for events he could enter.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Millar has served his ban is rehabilitated and is now allowed to compete in all sports. Why does everybody have to keep bringing him up as a strawman whenever Lance is mentioned?

because he too robbed clean riders of careers and hope. He also made more money from his book on doping than many a clean rider has done in their entire career

explain? how has he shat on Livestrong?

he started it, raised millons, there is debate on how the money has been spent-ok. Now he has stood down
    the point is how livestrong spends the money, it essentially appears to be spending most of the money paying Lance for his support. It would be interesting to see if money going to livestrong has reduced the income for real research based charities

He’s lost titles, lost sponsorship income, faced global humiliation and faces a lifetime ban from elite level sport. That in my book is more than enough punishment.

he’s still got a personal wealth well in excess of those he destroyed on the way up or when protecting the lie. He should be doing jail time for perjury and fraud

there’s no delight just a need to recognise the full impact of what he did to so many people and the sad knowledge that despite everything he can still walk back in and claim TV time, column inches and web pages that should be devoted to clean cyclists

hora
    Free Member

Sorry LA should do jailtime. Nothing less. He hasn’t suffered. He lived a carefully crafted deceiptful lie.

Northwind

big_n_daft – Member

the point is how livestrong spends the money, it essentially appears to be spending most of the money paying Lance for his support.

Numbers? This gets repeated a lot but I’ve not seen anything to support it which makes me suspicious.

edlong
    Free Member

Numbers? This gets repeated a lot but I’ve not seen anything to support it which makes me suspicious.

If you want to know more about Livestrong, read this:

Some stuff about Livestrong

geordiemick00
    Free Member

i suppose he’d be welcome on the annual Manchester to Blackpool ride too 😆

Northwind

edlong- that’s one I’ve read before, and it contradicts what big_n_daft was saying.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Would he survive the experience?

tpbiker
    Free Member

Firstly I don’t believe it for a second that he would have any intention of entering

But if he did, is it really such a big deal, hes not banned from such an event is he? And for those on their moral high horse about it all, perhaps you should have a criminal record check done on everyone who enters the field, because I’m pretty sure you will have ridden in events that have contained participants convicted of far worse crimes than he has.

lets not forget, hes not a child molestor (that we know of), never killed anyone, sure hes screwed over people and hes a cheat and a nasty piece of work, but hes not exactly the antichrist. Ban him form top level sport by all means, don’t get your knickers in a twist about a fun event that I reckon many people would like to see him at, if only to say ‘I was there, I rode with Lance’

Besides, I’m needing one more for my ten under the ben team….

somafunk

Frazer n’ spook are pretty canny when it comes to publicity and spreading the word, move along now….nothing to see here…. that is all.

highlandman
    Free Member

If some of the high horse cowboys on here think Lance is a bad ‘un, they should see some of the evil, lying, thieving, fraudulent and generally criminal creatures that I have to deal with on a regular basis. Wake up- much worse happens every day, just beyond your doorstep.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘Lance to ride Tour de Ben Nevis?’ is closed to new replies.