Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Lance Armstrong question
  • tankslapper
    Free Member

He’s doing the Giro – I thought he broke his collar bone which ruled him out of everything including the Tour?!!! 🙄

cx_monkey

But it’s Lance! He was back on the bike a week after breaking it – after a healthy dose of titanium…

nickc

Depends where the break is.
    Sometimes it’s an Op and weeks of the bike, sometimes it ain’t.

tankslapper
    Free Member

Unbelievable – must check for Kryptonite…………

AB
    Free Member

Considering his layoff, I’m surprised how quick he’s back and performing pretty well at the Giro considering. High hopes for the Tour.

zaskar
    Free Member

And he doesn’t use the NHS!

jimmy

didn’t the guy who rode the world with Ewan McGregor bust his and have some kind of ultrasound treatment to speed the healing and he was doing the Paris-Dakar rally the week after? Or something like that.

mema
    Free Member

On a side note, I have been reading Lance’s book, the other night I dreamt that I was out cycling with him this dream lasted the whole night I woke in the morning completely knackered I think I was actually trying cycle while sleeping!

cx_monkey

Tyler Hamilton finished the tour after breaking his collarbone, without any treatment. Ground his teeth down due to the pain….

glenp
    Free Member

Armstrong’s collar bone was broken into several pieces (as opposed to more common partial fracture or single break) and is now liberally screwed and plated together. Impressive bravery to take part nonetheless.

His stated aim is to ride for Leibheimer, which he is doing. I’ll be very impressed if he completes the distance, and doubly impressed if he completes TdF. Winning is out of the question, I think. Even a stage win is extremely unlikely, because of his age and lay-off, not because of his collar bone (although that is not exactly a help).

I have to take my hat off to him, coming back is a very brave move. But I can’t see him winning.

njee20
    Free Member

Actually Tyler Hamilton ground his teeth down after riding the Giro with a broken shoulder, he was ‘fine’ after the TdF collarbone incident.

It’s amazing what drugs can do!

Back to the OP it’s fairly common for a quick recovery if they operate on such injuries, and they’ll be on turbo trainers within days of the initial injury!

zaskar
    Free Member

All that pain when riding too.

Hats off to them all.

snakebite
    Free Member

I have him on my facebook thang, he sends out updates just like everyone else-some are quite entertaining. He was riding his cross bike in the snowy Aspen region a week after busting his collarbone…he sent me the pics an everything!!!

Marge
    Free Member

It was stated on the Giro TV coverage that Lance will step out after (I think) the 12th stage.

So far he is doing pretty damn well considering the recent break. He does look like he is carrying more weight than previously though.

tankslapper
    Free Member

Worth a punt for the Tour I’d say – wonder what the odds are?

jimster
    Free Member

Probably using the Giro to get his weight down.

njee20
    Free Member

Nah he won’t win the tour, he’ll be too heavily watched, he’s not the rider he was before, nor has he got the team he had before!

tankslapper
    Free Member

Wouldn’t be too sure about that njee. This is classic Armstrong, this is what pi$$ed so many European teams of before. Basically he always used pre-Tour races for training dropping out as suited; that didn’t make him everyone’s favourite to say the least.

As far as not having the ‘team’ there’s some great guys in there including the Giro favourite Levi Liephiemmer.

Don’t write Armstrong off….

aP
    Free Member

Lance winning the tour? Oh, you guys, the tears of laughter are still rolling down my cheeks.
    After 29 May he won’t even have a cycling team, so how’s he going to win the tour?

Ed2001
    Free Member

njee20- nor has he got the team he had before?

No Astana have only got
    Kloden, Leiphiemer,Contador,Horner,Popovych,Zubeldia amongst others, I would have thought you could argue one of the strongest grand tour teams.
    No he wont win the tour but its not due to a weak team.

glenp
    Free Member

Win the tour? Don’t be daft. If he gets to Paris it will be massively impressive.

aP
    Free Member

Apart from them losing their ProTour license in 15 days, those other guys wouldn’t work for him – Contador? forget it, he’s just waiting to get sacked, Kloden – waiting to get banned, Leipheimer – oh a nearly man, Popovych – one good day in the mountains then home for tea.

Ed2001
    Free Member

To win a tour you need strong riders around you, just ask Cadel Evans. Astana have that probably riding under another sponsers name by the tour, but still a strong experienced team.
    Contador – where would he fit in?
    Kloden- as many questions about valverde last year and he rode.
    Leipheimer- looks good in giro at present
    Popo- always seems to ride well for Johan
    Look Im no lover of Armstrong or Astana but to say Lance wont win the tour because of a weak team seems nonesense to me

Mac
    Free Member

The logical conclusion to zaskar’s photo:

halfbee
    Free Member

Bontrager made him a carbon Clavicle:

Bonty Link

tankslapper
    Free Member

Jeez halfbee I thought you were joking!!!

I wonder what would Tony Robinson make of him if he could dig him up on Time Team 3100A.D?

marsdenman
    Free Member

And the date of the Bonty article is ……… 😆

MrSmith
    Free Member

Nah he won’t win the tour, he’ll be too heavily watched, he’s not the rider he was before, nor has he got the team he had before!

he will not be doping now (but then his rivals will probably not be either)

some interesting reading here:
    http://nyvelocity.com/content/interviews/2009/michael-ashenden

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Lance Armstrong question’ is closed to new replies.