• This topic has 87 replies, 49 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by poah.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)
  • Lance Armstrong and that charity ride – should he do it?
  • hora
    Free Member

Rogan Josh 2.5/10

mtbel
    Free Member

Swear filtering his name? Hah ha ha… FFS! Sorry but I find it absolutely hilarious how emotional “Cyclists” get over the mere mention of Lance’s name.
    Get over yourselves.

The guy was superhuman at what he did.

Junkyard
    Free Member

he is not the only person who is superhuman at BS

hora
    Free Member

Dont you have an overpriced obsolete frame to sell?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Tour_de_France_general_classification_winners

Given his winning margins he wasnt ‘superhuman’ compared to others/runners up.

Greg Lemond (clean) had better margins.

mtbel
    Free Member

Oh hora… I despair at your incompetence. No. I haven’t had any frames for sale at any time during the last decade. I suggest you go back and read your tired, pointless, time wasting thread properly. 🙄

RE:Superhuman
    Whooooooosh…

hora
    Free Member

:mrgreen:

piemonster

Greg Lemond (possibly clean of EPO) had better margins.

Ftfy

piemonster

Agreed. Nobody in cycling has made such a superhuman effort to publicise their character flaws. I salute him for that if nothing else.

duntstick
    Free Member

Crazy egomaniac should take a backseat.

kcr
    Free Member

It’s a charity ride, not a competitive event running under UCI rules, so he’s free to ride it if he wants.

Geoff Thomas is obviously using LA’s notoriety to get free publicity, which is working well, but I’m not sure the end justifies the means in this case, and I think it might backfire on him in the long run. LA is clearly just being provocative by going anywhere near the TdF,but he’s a psychopath, so he probably just can’t help himself.

It would be really interesting to know what LA’s fee or “expenses” are for this. He’s got big bills to pay, so I bet he’s not getting out of bed for free.

twistedpencil

Surely the French authorities might want a word with the man who was a the centre of the largest sporting fraud in the history of their beloved tour. I can’t see him being dumb enough to go to France any time soon, though if he does I look forward to L’Equipe hounding him.

spxxky
    Free Member

What the hell has LA doing this ride to do with ANYONE here? What effect will it have on YOUR lives? It wasn’t a war, nobody was killed and he isn’t a mass murderer – it’s a fxxxxxg sport! Get over it, stop posting questions over it and get a life! Mass murderers get better press.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Was that like when firefighters use explosives to stop oil fires and you thought you could defeat hyperbole with supermegahyperbole?

It just looked daft to me

Its a cycling forum where the folk care about cycling and will debate anything

Of course what LA does does not matter but it does not matter to me where you ride, what bike you have , what tyres you fit whether your kid got pudding etc

hora
    Free Member

Spxxky who took the jam out of your donut?

taxi25
    Free Member

I sort of agree with spxxy, this same old over the top Lance hatred over and over and over again !! Can’t you just join another mob and hate someone new. We all know his crimes and how he treated people, but he’s banned from competitive cycling for life, as it stands at the moment. How he reconciles himself with those he harmed is between themselves. No one on here has been harmed by him I’m sure. Many might have benefited from cycling’s massively increased popularity, at least partly fuelled by his high profile. If he can rehabilitate himself through charity work on or off a bike I say it’s a good thing. At the very least, stand back a bit, see how things go. People can change maybe he will, maybe he won’t but EVERYONE should be given the opportunity to try.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Yes

Junkyard
    Free Member

You think this is an attempt to rehabilitate himself rather than publicise himself 😯
    he has had many chances to atone and do the right thing but he chooses to publicise LA in the main.

taxi25
    Free Member

Your still doing it junkyard. Stand back give the man some room, see where things go. He can’t hurt you his days if being the big bad wolf are over.

hora
    Free Member

He won as many Tours as I have. **** all 😆 so we’re tied.

Junkyard
    Free Member

his days if being the big bad wolf are over.

His days of apologising for it and atoning have not even started.

richpips
    Free Member

I mentioned it a good while back. There was some sort of survey of cyclist cancer recovering folk asking if they thought it was a good thing for him to take part.

It’s been a long time in the planning.

I’m guessing they gave the thumbs up.

aracer
    Free Member

Remind me again why you’re reading and posting on this thread?

piemonster

Quite a few people have died as a result of drug taking in cycling. So yes, it matters when somebody who is in part responsible for the continuation of that culture has an ongoing involvement in the sport.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

His days of apologising for it and atoning have not even started.

This is the crux of it for me – until then no thanks to Armstrong period. The guy made a lot of peoples lives hell & he is yet to show any remorse for doing so.

In fact, he’s going after the Andreus again, although a touch sneakily: Link

I know it’s harsh but until LA starts showing genuine remorse the only time I’d want to see him in pubic is so I could throw some rotting fruit at the guy…

Sorry, but Armstrong is still giving the impression that the only person he cares about is Armstrong.

You mean the guy was a psychotic cheat surely?

atlaz
    Free Member

Surely the French authorities might want a word with the man who was a the centre of the largest sporting fraud in the history of their beloved tour

The criminal statue of limitations in France (IIRC) is 10 years. However, if new evidence comes to light it can be 10 years from that point. I’m sure a gendarme can argue that his confession is new evidence and pinch him when he turns up at Charles de Gaulle.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Armstrong is still giving the impression that the only person he cares about is Armstrong.

It is in the main but he is hurting from the complete ban.
    Cheers for the links shows his public pronouncements and his private actions, as always , dont match up.
    FWIW i do believe everyone deserves a second chance but LA has had multiple chances, not taken, to redeem himself.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I think he should be free to do it if he wants to. Whatever you might think of him, I’m not that keen on the idea that there should be some sort of Armstrong moral authority police vetting everything he does for the next 20 years or whatever. (Outside of properly competing in things, obviously).

aracer
    Free Member

No need for that argument – how long ago was the last time he cheated in France (that he’s admitted to)?

hora
    Free Member

Good point. Let him. I doubt he’ll risk going to France though. I imagine he’ll appear in Britain but would he show in France? That’d I’d love to see.

edhornby

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/geoff-thomas-why-i-invited-lance-armstrong-back-to-the-tour-162489

this is the illuminating bit for me – Geoff Thomas still idolises LA so Geoff has invited LA, but it’s clear from the subtext that LA is only tolerating this because it suits him but would rather it was all under the LA charity/brand

Lance is a sociopath, but it’s a bit dismal that Geoff can’t see it and thinks he can do no wrong

tpbiker
    Free Member

Give only an idiot didn’t think he was a juiced up as everyone else when he won his 7 tours, I really fail to see what the outrage is….

I mean really, is anyone here going to admit that they were stupid enough to think Lance was ever clean

anyone???

lemonysam
    Free Member

I mean really, is anyone here going to admit that they were stupid enough to think Lance was ever clean

anyone???

*Paging Hora, Hora to the forum please*

Junkyard
    Free Member

Loads of people thought he was clean not least because of the effort that LA went to maintain this façade ; its about the bike, no failed tests etc

Of course no one admits that anymore

iolo
    Free Member

Oh yes. This has spiralled into another we hate Lance thread.
    Are there any new arguments here from all the 5000 threads started in the last six months?
    Same people repeatedly spouting the same thing.
    Yawn.

29erKeith
    Free Member

No, not imo.
    He’s not sorry for anything other than getting caught! I’m so tired of the everybody else was at it bit, yeah but what about those who tried and tried and got nowhere or binned early in their careers because they wouldn’t dope. He’s a sociopath imo and not to be trusted

I hope Geoff gets what he wants\needs out of it but think he should tread carefully

As a potential benefactor of Geoff’s efforts I applaud him and hope it doesn’t backfire but it’s clear a lot of people will be turned off by Lances involvement. He could do more damage than good. bad publicity does exist! Yes far more people will hear about Geoff’s ride but how many will donate or refuse to donate because of Lances involvement?

Lance could help raise money for charities in so many ways, this just feels like he’s sticking two fingers up an everyone

MoreCashThanDash

In what other ways could Lance raise money for charities?

He is only really known for riding a bike while using drugs. Using his notoriety to get publicity for a charity seems to be the only option that his punishments and the internet pitch fork carriers have left him with.

hora
    Free Member

anyone???

Yup. That was me. Bought all his books, was bought his pictorial return to the Tour, put money into his charity. The lot.

Then it all came out…. Lying through his teeth, dragging plenty of people through the court who dare challenge or question him. Trying to ruin people, buying peoples silence, driving people out of their careers either directly or indirectly, bullying people ‘in the work place’, lying under oath/in court, receiving money by deception etc.

He was someone that you’d look upto and think ‘wow, it really is possible to comeback and do well in this world’. All bollocks.

Those sprouting the ‘murder etc analogy’. Get over it. Do you go through life sprouting that to stop people who disagree with you?

aracer
    Free Member

I’m also happy to admit I once thought he was clean – like the majority of people. Congratulations on being so cynical that you never thought that despite a complete lack of evidence to suggest he was juiced (that or you’ve managed to convince yourself that you had foresight at the time – I suspect a lot of people fall into that category). Why do you think people are so upset by him – it’s not because they always knew. The only reason hora gets brought up in such instances isn’t because he was the only one who believed, but because he was so taken in that he refused to let go of the dream even when the evidence was overwhelming – which I’d suggest is actually admirable rather than something to have a go at him about.

I thought Geoff’s (non) answer to this question was quite illuminating:

Stevet1
    Free Member

In what other ways could Lance raise money for charities?

He is only really known for riding a bike while using drugs.

Stocks?

Junkyard
    Free Member

]]you say that on every thread about him…have you considered not opening these threads 💡

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘Lance Armstrong and that charity ride – should he do it?’ is closed to new replies.