• This topic has 11 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by wl.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Lancaster: any group rides, clubs or folk who could show my nephew some trails?
  • wl
    Free Member

Hi STW – my nephew is 17 and madly into biking. He lives in Lancaster but can’t drive. Just wondered if there’s a local group he could join or riders he could tag along with (or share lifts/petrol with) just so he can get out on his bike more? He’s pretty fit, not bad technically, good company and doesn’t whinge if the weather is crap or the ride is tough. He does a bit of casual enduro racing and will happily ride for 5+ hours on natural stuff in the Pennines. He does trail centres too.

He’s also sensible, reliable and well organised for a teenager, plus he knows his limits and isn’t a liability. I ride with him in Calderdale but I’m short of time right now and it’s his school hols, so he has time on his hands.

Any tips, contacts or offers of help gratefully received. Thanks.

nbt

The Bogtrotters are based round that way and seem to be a friendly, inclusive bunch. I’d recommend droppnig them a line

chakaping
    Free Member

Yeah, someone from that neck of the woods will probably show up – but get him to join their FB group to find out about rides.

wl
    Free Member

[list]Cheers for this – really appreciate it.

richardkennerley

I got the train to Staveley with my bike the other day, stops at Lancaster on route. This could be an option for a day out?

alexpalacefan

Loads of good riding from Staveley.

APF

wl
    Free Member

Staveley by train is a good suggestion, thanks. He could do with folk to ride with though, preferably. Partly for safety and route finding, partly for the company. Age and gender don’t matter. Mid-week as well as weekends. Cheers again.

globalti
    Free Member

Boggies are the best bet, they are a well-run club.

gkeeffe

I live in Haverthwaite and have a 16 year old son who’s mad about biking,,,, We’d be happy to show you round South Lakes…

richardkennerley

wl – Member
    Staveley by train is a good suggestion, thanks. He could do with folk to ride with though, preferably. Partly for safety and route finding, partly for the company. Age and gender don’t matter. Mid-week as well as weekends. Cheers again

As far as route finding goes, once you’ve ridden there a couple of times, it becomes dead easy to string a few different rides together, navigation is very easy there with the right map in hand. And there’s great facilities at the mill yard. However, as you’re concerned about safety, the phone signal round there is pretty poor!!

plumber
    Free Member

lapsed member of the bogtrotters

Assume its similar to when I used to ride with them

Great trails, great people

wl
    Free Member

Thanks again, all.

gkeeffe – that’s a very kind offer. I’ll PM you if that’s ok and we can take it from there. I live over in Calderdale, so after we’ve made contact I’d probably just hand your details to Theo (the nephew) and get him to liaise direct with you if it sounds as though it could work. I’ll try PMing you now. Cheers.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Lancaster: any group rides, clubs or folk who could show my nephew some trails?’ is closed to new replies.