Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Lakes – which mountain with wife and dog?
  • sefton
    Free Member

I’ll be walking with my wife and dog (on the lead)

was thinking helvellyn, scafell pike or maybe pike o stickle or one in the langdales.

based close to the langdales.

scafell from the langdales looks too far

helvellyn sound good from the Ullswater side – but dont fancy the edges (with my wife and dog incase there is loads of scrambling)

driving to wasdale will take over an hour too

confused

perchypanther
    Free Member

You keep your wife on a lead? 😯

sefton
    Free Member

or langdale – loft crag then over to pike o stickle?

marcus
    Free Member

What sort of distance / time out ?

sefton
    Free Member
    jekkyl

how’s the wife with a full days walking steeply?
    My first thought would be Helvellyn from the Thirlmere side. There’s a carpark near the north of Thirlmere and ascend Helvellyn Via lower man and then descend via Birkside to Wythburn, then back along through the woods to the carpark. That route up pases through some big rocky bits so is quite cool and and the descent has a nice view. Those woods though are well spooky and atmosphereic, it’s like Fangborn from LOTR, big moss covered boulders and little becks.

sefton
    Free Member

she’ll be ok.

cant let the dog off the lead so dont want anything too scrambly – I worry about climbing from the ullswater side.

elliptic
    Free Member

Langdale pikes loop is a classic outing and also easy to extend / cut short depending on levels of enthusiasm.

And you’ve got the Stickle Barn pub to sit out with food and a pint afterwards, perfect!

jekkyl

yes, the route I’ve suggested there is no scrambling at all and it’s from the opposite side of the mountain from Ullswater.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I worry about climbing from the ullswater side.

It’s a walk (the edges are on the other side). Helvellyn if you want a high summit and sense of achievement thing. your other choice is a very nice walk, tarn, pavey ark etc but no particular summit. just a series of peaklets

Edit sorry I’m getting ullswater and thirlmere mixed up. i was talking from Thirlmere side perspective

sefton
    Free Member

isnt the two ways up from ullstwater – swirral or striding edge?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

no there’s other ways via white side, sticks pass, dollywagon etc etc

TomB

If I was based in langdales I’d stay in that area and do some combination of the langdale pikes. Or Bowfell and Esk pike are both good, high fells with a proper summit feel.

jekkyl

fp map here: http://maps.the-hug.net/
    there are lots of ways up Helvellyn, the ‘edges’ are on the Ullswater side.

sefton
    Free Member

thanks for the map link – great!

I fancy getting high up and then doing some ridge walks – the langdales sounds good – circular then back down for a pint

sefton
    Free Member

looking at that map an accent from patterdale to dollywaggon then a ridge walk to helvellyn looks good. then maybe over to white side and back down to gelnridding

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Thats a big day out tho, much longer than your round of pavey ark

slowoldman

How about Langdale Pikes, Stake Pass, Rossett Pike, Bowfell and back down The Band?

sefton
    Free Member

I’ll let you know what we decide. thanks (probably langdales) 😉

sefton
    Free Member

I’ll let you know what we decide. thanks (probably langdales) 😉

jambalaya
    Free Member

Helvelyn from Thirmile is a bit boring imo. The Steiding / Swirrel Edge is beyond me (afarid if heights – I made it only to start of striding edge) dog fell to its death on swirrell but that was the winter. Your suggestion which is basically the mtb route is quite far. When I turned back I went from Hole-in-the-wall to Red Tern then Landy Tarn which is a nice walk but no mountain top.

With my wife we did Loughrigg Fell from Ambleside and you can do the terrace too (she was unable to do the extra distance due to a lung problem). That may not be convenient given your accommodation.

Enjoy whatever you chose

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

for the langdales route you linked I’d allow roughly 3 hrs if you’re all athletic and intend to crack on, 5hrs if dawdling. you’ll have the advantage of cutting it shorter in a few places if necessary.

sefton
    Free Member

awesome – did the Langdale Pikes and some wandering with my wife and did some fell running with the dog around the coniston range on sunday

https://www.strava.com/athletes/206342

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Lakes – which mountain with wife and dog?’ is closed to new replies.