Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Lakes – where to ride
  • markyd

I'm in the lakes this weekend and want to ride something natural (not trail centre) and 'big'. Seen mag articles over the last couple of years about Helvellyn and High Street. Are either of those worth it? Or would STW recommend something else?

Have either a 6-7" Patriot or 4" XC bike. Quite happy pedalling the Patriot up hills.

crazy-legs

See the Trail Guides tab at the top…?

http://www.singletrackworld.com/trailguide/category/uk/north-west/

South, South-West and Western lakes up there, a few routes in each one.

grumm
    Free Member

I wouldn't do High Street after all this rain, unless it dries up lots in the next few days. I've only done the Grisedale-Dollywagon descent on Helvellyn, which is a real tech-fest – one for the Patriot I would say.

Doing the Gatesarth-Nan Bield route from Kentmere would probably qualify as 'big', not done it myself yet though.

VG guide or Bogtrotters site is a good source of route info as well.

lowey

Helvellyn ridge (up to Great Dodd) was a mud / push fest the other week. The rest of the ridge will be packed with walkers at weekend. One for a weekday I reckon.

If you riding weekend, I would either do Gatescarth / Nan Bield or this route :-

Coniston, Lawson Park, Parkamoor, Nibthwaite, Blawith Fells, Broughton Forest, Stephenson Ground, Walna Scar, Coniston.

grumm
    Free Member

Yeah loweys route would be a cracker and pretty all-weather generally.

I like to take the BW down into Seathwaite from Stephenson Ground before going back over Walna Scar. Adds a but more to the climb though which might not be welcome at the end of the day!

lowey

Usually if we are doing a quick blast then yeah Grumm, the descent to Seathwaite is a classic. But it would be a step to far for me after doing Parkamoor and Blawith too.

lowey
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Lakes – where to ride’ is closed to new replies.