Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Lakes summits to head for.
  • ton

managed to get up skiddaw on Saturday, I am going to try a do a summit a month this year.
    apart from helvelynn, which I am saving for summer, which hills in the lakes are worth the effort.
    hopefully they should all be a doddle after Saturdays snow/ice/wind epic up skiddaw/ullock.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

More of a small series of summits, head up from Troutbeck to top of Garburn pass, then just keep going along Yoke, Mardale Ill bell, Thornthwaite crag, and drop down Nan bield into Kentmere.

A cracking wee ridgeline, and on a clear day will have some of the best views in the lakes.

I did it 3 times in 2014!

Edit – for some reason, my PC won’t let me post links today… If you google ‘Enjoyrider ill bell’, both my blog posts will come up, with pics on both posts mate.

ton

I have been over nan bield a couple of times in the past, never been that way tho.
    thanks for that, I will have a look.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Assuming you don’t mind a bit of cheek, Harter Fell down to Nan Bield on the other side is good fun too:

I’ve not ridden Ill Bell (yet) but I suspect Harter is easier. I see Nobeerinthefridge has a photo of it from the Ill Bell side:

Also on my “to ride” list is Hindscarth, down to Little Town, and Grisedale Pike down Hobcarton End. There was a video on here a while ago of someone riding down High Crag to Scarth Gap that looked fantastic too.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I repeated too many rides in the last year or two too many times, time to branch out a bit again and ride some new stuff. Back down this weekend, four passes on sat and something else in the same area on sunday. Canny wait.

mav12
    Free Member

high street from pooley bridge looks good or maybe in reverse never done it myself though

muddy9mtb

yer high street from pooley bridge, the slog up from ambleside is a push to the top for over an hour 8)

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Black Coombe for a bit of a leftfield one, great views and the south descent is fast and fun. COuld easily be done as a summer evening out and backer in a couple of hours.

leftyboy
    Free Member

High Street ending in Pooley Bridge is good but there’s some carrying involved. Did a few years ago when i was almost fit and it was a biggish ride.

ton

done high street 3 times in the past. it would have to be the middle of a 5 year drought before I did it again…. 😀

IanMunro
    Free Member

The bridleway along the ridge taking in High Stile, Red Pike and High Crag, has got to worth a punt just for pure stupidity 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

There was mention on here in the last few days about a good descent off Gable?

ton

The bridleway along the ridge taking in High Stile, Red Pike and High Crag, has got to worth a punt just for pure stupidity

did it on a full rigid in the late 80’s. might be a bit nicer on a full boing.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Awesome mapness!

I finally bought myself one of these recently, absolutely brilliant. Pride of place in the kitchen, I can spend ages in front of it planning routes.

surfer
    Free Member

Love that Ill bell route from Troutbeck (running not riding) into Kentmere than back to Troutbeck. Pint in the Mortal Man beer garden after 🙂

teadrinker
    Free Member

Bookmarking for later reference 🙂

Ton what full susp are you riding these days?

ton

teadrinker, I bought a enduro29er. ideal lakes bike, I am gonna try and wear it out. 😀

Teetosugars
    Free Member

*Bookmarked 🙂

peachos
    Free Member

Old Man of Coniston. Footpath off the front down to Low Water and then through the slate quarries is one of the best!

teadrinker
    Free Member

look forward to pics ton 🙂
    Can’t wait to get back up to there again.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I am gonna try and wear it out.

I bagsy August as the sale date 8)

fergal
    Free Member

Grisedale pike over to Whiteside edge is a goodun, billy goat the edge, then up the valley to Rigg beck, sublime singletrack hence to Braithwaiite.

PS. Blencathra is a good blast, Scales tarn or just stick to the ridge this is fast and open.

ton

I bagsy August as the sale date

are we having a wager?

eddie11
    Free Member

another vote for mardale ill bell and down to nan beild. good exposure, meandering rocky trail, bib big steps.

slight hyjack – whilst weve got lakes people has anyone done the bridleway between ennderdale and wast water past haycock?

fergal
    Free Member

Would lll bell not be better the other way, ie down the ridge, plus the bumpy bit of Garburn at the end?

munrobiker
    Free Member

I rode High Street, I’ll Bell then Nan Build yesterday. A nice ride but the snow up the top if High Street made navigation VERY tricky and some riding hard. May be Ok by the weekend.

As for High Stiles, you will need to be on top form to manage the descent. It is very steep and we tried it in 40mph winds last month and it was unrideable.

Plenty of good ones, though. Have a look at these old threads, they have photos so you can gauge what you think you are capable of. My favourites are Helvellyn down Dollywagon and Grizedale, Nan Beild out and back and Skiddaw the cheeky way.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/2014-a-good-year-in-mountains

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/2013-a-quiet-year-in-mountains

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/2012-a-year-in-mountains

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/2011-a-year-in-mountains

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/2010-a-year-in-mountains

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Would lll bell not be better the other way, ie down the ridge, plus the bumpy bit of Garburn at the end?

I’d like to try it in both directions, but Garburn isn’t anywhere near as good as the descent off Nan bield IMHO, And the techier bits off of all the summits on the ridge are on the north sides too.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

anyone done the bridleway between ennderdale and wast water past haycock?

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/anyone-ridden-nether-beck-tewit-how

There’s this:
    http://www.glowingcoast.co.uk/rightsofway/mtb/ennerdale02.htm

Geograph.org isn’t bringing much up. Shame, on the map it looks like a good link.

In short, lets not bother.

ton

some good reading on those posts Luke. I will have a good look through. cheers.

martinhutch

Is anything around the Mosedale horseshoe rideable or worthwhile? I haven’t even walked it for years, but have often wondered whether Pillar is approachable, perhaps even via the High Level Route, and whether the ridge descending from Steeple into Ennerdale has any rideable sections.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Lakes summits to head for.’ is closed to new replies.