Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Lakes Routes
  • duncancallum

Fancy a big ride in the lakes but I am struggling to decide on what to do,

I love Walna Scar loop, and fancy a “big” feeling ride was looking at nambield but saw harter fell.

I want a on the top of the mountain ride, don’t want a 36 mile epic just a good 4-5 hour do.

any suggestions?

simondbarnes

Helvelyn? Skiddaw?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Define ‘ride’. Would you be happy to carry for a bit?…..

TomB

Are you coming for the day, or staying somewhere. Might help narrow down the options a little.

duncancallum

I am not adverse to some “portage” i am only an hour away from the south lakes so its not an issue.

I was looking at Skiddaw, I do have an urge for a Mountain though

simondbarnes

I was looking at Skiddaw, I do have an urge for a Mountain though

Is Skiddaw not a mountain then? It felt like one when I went up it.

jekkyl

Skiddaw is ace and is a mountain.

Junkyard
    Free Member

you want bigger than Skiddaw then you need to do Helvellyn 😉

duncancallum

no its in skiddaw seems to fit the bill…

TomB

Park at Dodd wood (a591) at car Park or free on road laybys further along. Bimble along on road away from Keswick to do the classic dash falls- skiddaw house- lonscale crags BW,then skiddaw summit BW and return to car via Carlisle/Ullock pike finishing back at a591 by Ravenstone hotel.

duncancallum

ivw decided

ullock pike it is!

trailhound
    Free Member

Have you read Sannys article in the new mag? Scar fell, Skiddaw AND Helvellyn (well almost) in a day! Would love to have a crack at that but reckon I’ll need a good years worth of training going on my current fitness levels!

justinbieber

Ullock is bloody amazing, but it’s 90 minutes up, 20-30 mins down. And chucking in latrigg and dash falls is just miles for the sake of miles.

You’d be better off doing a grand tour of helvellyn or Nan bield if you want a big epic.

postierich
    Free Member

This for a big hill and a stunning descent
    https://www.relive.cc/view/825502357
    Glennridding Dollywagon Helvellyn Sticks Pass Seldom Seen

justinbieber

Oooft! That’s a cracker that is Rich.

postierich
    Free Member

Be prepared for this
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/R3BfLV]Untitled[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr
    And this leave no one behind and I,m doing the carrying friend with a broken ankle
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/QZvTu5]Untitled[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Be prepared for this

Looks like this from rider’s perspective:
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mryJSRcPn4[/video]

Its ace 🙂

As is Ullock Pike though.

Weekend before last:

And back to the original statement:

looking at nambield but saw harter fell

That’s not a problem:

Shandy
    Free Member

When do the issues usually come available online? I am keen to see this route out of Issue 112.

I did Helvellyn by Rich’s route but came down through a quarry after Sticks Pass, Seldom Seen looks like a better idea.

The Three Passes out of Stavely is a good route.

Sanny
    Free Member

My route in issue 112 is a cracker but the man with the hammer well and truly got me on Helvellyn. I woke up in the middle of the night after it with an absolute stinker of a cold – green gloop, coughing and spluttering, aches and pains. Next time, I will do it without a cold lurking! I can’t wait to do it again though!

postierich
    Free Member

This is a good route and I would say on par with Sannys 🙂

TomB

Bloody hell Rich, that’s a big day out! Good effort, and great pics.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Sanny – I like the reference to Ullock Pike being shockingly cheeky, but you never actually state that you made it to to the top of Scafell Pike 😉

Approaching Helvellyn from the north over the Dodds though – what were you thinking? Glutton for punishment…

Sanny
    Free Member

Hi Bandito

Being for the mag, I stuck to Bridleways for the route. Next time and on my own dime, I will start with Skiddaw, ride Ullock Pike, head up onto Sticks Pass from Threlkeld, summit then down and up to do Fairfield finishing with Rossett Pike up onto Scafell Pike for the evening Sun and the big finish. 😉

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Rode Skiddaw and Ullock Pike a couple of days ago. Absolutely loved it. Highly recommended.Just wish I’d have known more about Dodd Wood as it looks promising and I’d have bolted something on to the end. Or rode Lonscale Fell before.Think it took me 1hr 40 from Keswick to summit and 40 mins on the way back down with a couple of photo stops and to finish my pasty while basking in the spring sunshine.

Next up is a return to Grizedale Pike but this time go left and head over to Whitless Pike.

Also, having read munrobikers ‘A Year In The Mountains’ Sail is on the list. Although I can’t quite figure it out from the post how to get there or what it is. Is it known as something else?

martinhutch

It’s one peak along to the east from ‘Crag Hill’ near Whiteless/Grizedale – marked on OS maps so you should find it.

andytherocketeer

Saw someone going down Skiddaw the other day. That slate-y bit looks like it’s probably easier on a bike to descend than on foot.
    Much of the Ullock Pike / Long Side ridge looks fun (walked up), except for the rocky scramble bit. Not sure if there’s a better way than the route up that I took, but wouldn’t fancy that bit with a bike.

Sail is called Sail.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Thanks martin, will check again to see if I can work out munrobikers route. I think I was getting confused with Causey Pike.

postierich
    Free Member

It is a great descent loose as 🙂
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/Tqy5vi]Untitled[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

ir_bandito
    Free Member

That pic up there ^ of me in the full face, that’s Skiddaw covered in snow behind.
    That loose as xxxx descent on the scree, with 6″ of sloppy snow on top of it was probably the scariest thing I’ve ever done on a bike.

duncancallum

superb day out cheers Lowey for the GPX

flyingmonkeycorps

So Ullock Pike – I’m going to hazard a guess it’s not the best idea on a bank holiday Monday.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Yes. Go somewhere else.

The hills to the west are every bit as Good, and always quieter – grisedale pike at al.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

it’s not the best idea on a bank holiday Monday.

I’ve ridden it on a BH weekend, and it was fine.
    I’ve also walked up it on a BH weekend with my kids and we met one bike coming down. Its surprisingly quiet, compared to the main drag from Keswick. All the walkers I”ve met when riding it have stood back and cheered me on 🙂

I’m planning on riding it at some point over Easter.

This was last september (not BH weekend):

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ1_T3P4Qa8&t=204s[/video]

flyingmonkeycorps

Ha, literally a 50/50 split. Just deciding what to ride on Monday, doesn’t have to be Keswick-centric but the last few rides we’ve done have been Staveley way (and Walna Scar) so we fancied a change. I was looking at the Back o’Skiddaw route but I have a weird hankering for steep terror…

Any other recommendations are welcome like 🙂

munrobiker
    Free Member

Also, having read munrobikers ‘A Year In The Mountains’ Sail is on the list. Although I can’t quite figure it out from the post how to get there or what it is. Is it known as something else?

This one?

That descent starts at 320430,520485, heading north east and splitting off left from the main track up and over to Braithwaite. It’s a short ride, but if you wanted that descent specifically with a bit of bonus nadge-core you could go over from Braithwaite to Coledale Hause, up to Crag Hill then down this descent. I saw a bloke going down it last time I was up there and it looked absolutely mental to ride down.

That entire area is a gold mine for trails – Grisedale Pike is my favourite, but Whiteless Pike, Sail to Stile End are all excellent. I’d be willing to bet Grasmoor via Lad Hows is good too, looking at it from across the hill. Hobcarton’s pretty good too, into Whinlatter then round the red a bit then back out onto the last bit of Grisedale Pike. The only bad one I’ve done is the descent of Causey Pike, it’s just a hike.

The area’s usually quiet too, we did Whiteless on Easter Monday and it was fine.

yorkycsl
    Free Member

Sunday gone we started from Portinscale nipped round the end of the lake up to Watendlath & Cumbria way, went up Stake Pass keeping to the left of the stream as it’s more tech on the way to the pass, then made our way over to Angle tarn, up & over Esk hawse for the cracking descent past sty head & sprinkling tarns to stockley bridge then finished of on the remaining half of the Borrowdale bash enjoying Castle crag descent back to portinscale, superb ride & was dry.

49K with near 5K climbing well worth it.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I’m liking that route yorkycsl. Bash with knobs on.
    I’d been wondering about combining the Bash with the 4 passes as a big figure-of eight, that sounds like a good halfway house without getting silly big.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, but walla crag as opposed to the road round Derwent.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

but walla crag as opposed to the road round Derwent.

Of course!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

:mrgreen:

Be real nice to finish coming off grisedale pike….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Lakes Routes’ is closed to new replies.