Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Lakes routes
  • mrjmt
    Free Member

We’re heading over to the lakes next week, staying a few nights here, National Trust Wasdale and a few nights here, National Trust Low Wray (Windermere).

Looking for nice XC sunny day type rides, more fast singletrack sort of stuff than gnarrrrr descents.

Anything we shouldn’t miss?

Trekster

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/thenorthfacetrail
    Mountain bike cumbria
    Bogtrotters routes page
    Bike shops in the Lakes have pre prepared route maps available for a few pounds
    Just up the road from Windermere is Staveley, home to Wilfs cafe and Wheelbase. Lots of good routes around the Kentmere area start from there 😆

street
    Free Member

I just came on to ask the very same question! 🙂

I’m off up there in the middle of June for a week.

There are a few rides over at The Edge Cycleworks but wasn’t sure which ones were worth doing..

justatheory
    Free Member

I’m going this weekend and will be doing Skiddaw Ullock Pike descent, Whinlatter and Borrowdale.

Wasdale campsite is lovely btw. Enjoy.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Both those sites are fantastic – lovely locations.

Lots of good riding from the tent at Low Wray – mail me direct and I’ll send you over a few PDFs (alternatively just pick some up from Biketreks in Ambleside. Don’t worry about driving to the start of the ride – just pick up the nearest bridleway and head towards the route, nearly all of them are great. If you don’t mind a decent length ride you can ride loops to Grizedale, Loughrigg Fell and even the Garburn Pass from there.

Good stuff around Wasdale as well but we got hit by a bad storm (river burst banks, campsite flooded, aborted ride) when we were there.

mrjmt
    Free Member

Cracking, thanks for the replies.

We’re doing the via ferrata at Honister while we are up at Wasdale, so in reality may only get one ride in up there, which will be the one from the route guide in issue 19 of the mag (cheers Stoner).

Then I’ll take a look at the options above around Windermere (simons, expect an email heading your way in a min!)

Just hope the sun stays around! 8)

mrjmt
    Free Member

Street, see this thread for details of the routes from the route guide up around Wasdale. Stoner has put a scan of the maps on there as they’re not in either the route guide or the electronic edition of the mag.

jonostevens
    Free Member

+1 for the Wasdale campsite. Best campsite I’ve ever stayed on, awesome.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

more fast singletrack sort of stuff than gnarrrrr descents

Even so, worth carrying your bike up Black Sail Pass, just to ride it back down since you’re so near at Wasdale.

grum
    Free Member

Some really lovely riding around Claife Heights from Low Wray, and from there Grizedale isn’t too far (virtually all BWs in Grizedale are good). As above Loughrigg Fell and Terrace are fantastic for fun not-too-techy riding with excellent views – they get very busy with walkers though. Get the VG book and try and link up routes.

I’m going this weekend and will be doing Skiddaw Ullock Pike descent

I hope you’re planning to do it late on, it will be heaving in the Lakes this weekend.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Lakes routes’ is closed to new replies.