Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Lakes route suggestions, but with stipulations…
  • mcnultycop

My lakes riding so far has encompassed Whinlatter and Grizedale (mainly TNF but found a few other bits too) plus a few rides out of Ambleside, Loughrigg Terrace type area and Claife Heights. Now I love riding in the lakes, and I did A level geography so I know why the valleys are shaped the way there are, but are there any suggestions for 2-3 hour rides that have climbing but more long draggy climbs rather than steeper stuff.

I’ve put a load of timber back on recently which I am working on removing, (I used to train powerlifting but have stopped, but didn’t stop the power lifting diet quick enough…) but hauling 120kg plus bike and kit up the Loughrigg terrace climb form example results in me pushing the steeper bits.

I’m happy to do an out and back rather than a loop, and would probably be on my fatty so not mega tech (although might take my FS, I’m flexible). Any suggestions would be appreciated. Ones with awesome views would be really appreciated.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Have a browse through the rides on the Pedal North site

Loads of options to suit, each link has an elevation profile as well, so you can judge what it’ll be like.

conkers
    Free Member

Pooley Bridge to High Street.
    It’s quite gradual as far as lakes ascents go probably why the Romans built their road there.
    One for the fat bike maybe as it can be boggy in parts I’ve been lucky and done it in the dry though and there’s nothing in the way of death gripping tech. Pushing is measured in tens of metres not hundreds.
    Great veiws from the top as it’s almost as high as Helvellyn.
    Once up there you have a choice of descents stay on High Street going south,go East for Nan Beild go West round the Knott to Hartsop or the cheeky Angle Tarn path or back the way you came.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    djflexure

Pooley Bridge – High St is a good shout. For variation there are some nice runs over towards the Lowther estate and back.
    Descent to Howtown is easy and fun. All good low level options, that will nonetheless give you a good workout if the weather is too poor to climb all the way up onto the ridge.

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP I am 79kg and I would be pushing some of Loughrigg Terrace climb and certainly have frequent stops to “check the map / view”

Walking / pushing is no disgrace, plenty of places that’s quicker than riding. Anyway when describing it to your mates it’s “an un-ridable hike a bike epic”

TomB

Struggling for classic rides without big hills in my area north lakes. If it’s for fitness, use the forest Road network from the bottom of whinlatter at Thornthwaite to ride up to the trails. Old coach Road from St John’s in the Vale to matterdale is a good trip, not technically challenging but interesting enough since floods. Could continue up the bw to great Dodd and the helvellyn range in good conditions, ideal fat bike territory. The climb up past dash falls to skiddaw house on the back of skiddaw is rideable all the way, as are the mine tracks in the same area coming in from north of mosedale, see lakeland monster miles route for ideas.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Tilberthwaite, woodland fell, all on the pedal north website

martinhutch

Grizedale – Nibthwaite – Blawith – Woodland Fell – Torver – Tilberthwaite – Oxen Fell – Grizedale is a great loop.

Don’t focus on the pushing – there will be a couple of short pushes in the route above probably, but that’s quite normal in the Lakes, TBH.

I’m struggling to think of many which don’t involve a tiny bit of steep climbing.

jekkyl

There’s no hike a bike on the borrowdale bash. Well maybe a tiny bit after the beck at Watlendath.

senorj

I’m struggling to think of a ride I do in Cumbria that doesn’t have a bastid climb ,somewhere along the way .
    I know that doesn’t help. Sorry.
    Classic skiddaw figure of eight maybe?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Lakes route suggestions, but with stipulations…’ is closed to new replies.